JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found a nice 80's era T/C Hawken kit.
Hadn't ever considered 'building' (more like assembling) one again but been getting back in it a bit and may take the plunge!

20201114_153010.jpg

Yea I would most likely just assemble it conventionally, with extra effort on very precise fit of wood to metal.

The stock would get special care in finishing and I would consult with a custom stock maker friend of mine on that part.

I'd have to think hard on the barrel but I would most likely brown it.

Ahhh...Just set the barrel out in the rain...and drag the stock behind yer truck for a bit.
Give it a "Battle Worn" finish....There I was , at the battle of Jackalope Flats....:eek: :D

Just kidding...I like the idea of a plum brown for the barrel and the notion of extra attention to the stock fit and finish.
Andy

With regard to browning I have discovered the 'off the rack' browning solutions work much better than the bluing ones.

I once browned a .45 cal CVA barrel and it came out incredibly well - I was impressed. Very even and deep finish.

I've completed two of those kits like the one above and used Birchwood Casey Plum Brown with excellent results.
Go slow, take your time on the barrel/breech plug and I bet you'll have a smokepole to be proud of ! :s0060:

I picked up a TC Hawken kit - already assembled unfortunately, and the stock wasn't finished before the lacquer. One of these days I'll take it all apart and finish it up properly. The big problem is some big gaps at the ends of the trigger guard. I'd be interested in meeting your stock-maker-friend, RV, for some advice on correcting that.

Nice find!
Reminds me of The Gun Works when they were on main St. in SPFD.
They had several 'kits' on the shelf at a time.
Brass furniture is not to my liking but it can be beautiful and polished to mirror smooth..
Keep us posted, I love these projects.
As proof I have one 80% done and another 5 barrels.
On my first I made the mistake of not finding someone to cut and crown the barrel shorter than the 36"; it is heavy.
Good luck

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads