JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have read a lot of articles about prismatic sights and how they are superior to traditional scopes, but none ever explained why they are superior. After doing a little research I now understand, so I thought I would share. What makes a sight prismatic is the use of a glass prism.
The benefit of the prismatic sight comes in the convex rear lens and the prism. The prism is used to provide focusing and magnification, removing the need for the series of lenses that a traditional scope uses. This is why a prismatic sight is able to be so much more compact than a traditional scope. Also, convex rear lens allows the shooter to get a good sight picture with a less than perfect sight alignment. For more expensive prismatic sights the reticle doesn't move with the eye at all, and the parallax and eye relief has much larger tolerances than a traditional scope, allowing for a faster shot alignment, which is superior in short to medium range tactical applications.

Manufacturers are making lower end prismatic sights now for budget conscious builders as an alternative to expensive ACOG and RCOs. These sights use etched glass reticle that can be illuminated, but can still function without batteries unlike a red dot or holographic sight. The Burris AR-332, the Vortex Spitfire 3x, and the Sigtac CP4 are just some examples of budget friendly prism sights. Of course you get what you pay for, so don't go too cheap!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top