JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/law-enforcement

I had no idea this existed.

Please deputize me!
20E430D1-58C8-40F0-8017-BE137D65364E.jpeg

I think the response for me to OP is "it depends." Most people probably don't do the math when it comes to printing, but I prefer to minimize to eliminate as much as humanly possible. My reason? You don't know what the strangers around you do know. Don't give them any tells if you can help it. If they're a bad actor, they might now know their immediate threat. If it's someone terrified of guns? Are they going to report me and embellish as a threat and will there be a scene? So many reasons not to print.

Since we are bringing this post back I guess, I've currently gone with either minimize it if I'm wearing casual clothes, but if wearing formal/tucked then just not worry about it since not that concerned if someone sees it when I'm wearing formal clothes, but I try to wear a jacket over it if weather permits.

Actually been debating getting a straight OWB holster for when I wear formal clothes and just try to sell the "supposed to have it" look instead of deal with tryna conceal under a tucked shirt.

Still tend to have some kind of coat/jacket over the top but also sometimes I take the coat off, especially when driving, so good chance if someone was watching they'd see it as I got in/out of my vehicle I guess.

Also I've moved to exclusively a 9 clock carry (lefty) and don't do appendix since it's inconsistent for when I do wear formal clothes and also driving with appendix I don't like

If I go to a mirror right now, TO ME I am printing. That being said, that is because I know it is there and I'm looking for it. Your average person walking down the street or in the supermarket is not going to be looking at it or for it. That being said I do have several different carry options Firearms/holster combos for every situation. Deap concealment to just everyday concealment. Use what combination is right for the occasion. As for getting a rash, thats either due to poor material or just not having enough time with that particular holster. When I get a new holster I wear that thing in till it obeys! lol Seriously will take a nap with it, and just get used to it being there.

If I go to a mirror right now, TO ME I am printing. That being said, that is because I know it is there and I'm looking for it. Your average person walking down the street or in the supermarket is not going to be looking at it or for it. That being said I do have several different carry options Firearms/holster combos for every situation. Deap concealment to just everyday concealment. Use what combination is right for the occasion. As for getting a rash, thats either due to poor material or just not having enough time with that particular holster. When I get a new holster I wear that thing in till it obeys! lol Seriously will take a nap with it, and just get used to it being there.
I just started wearing undershirts. Problem seems to have resolved that bit.

"Uncomfortableness" with any carry method is often as you said, just getting used to it. A lot of people seemingly expect to feel as if they are not wearing it, without getting passed the body conditioning to do that.

A personal experience example: put on a football helmet that is properly tight to your head. It's not pleasant initially, will take a few weeks, but then your head has toughened up and it's not an issue.

Since my carry status is nobody's business - ever - I go out of my way to keep it concealed.

A strong-side jeans/shorts belt holster is easy in winter months (at least for casual dressers like me) because an untucked flannel works to cover the lump, even indoors without a jacket.

Summer poses a challenge with just a t-shirt, but I have a number of loose/lightweight cotton shirts that drape nicely over a tell-tale bulge. As the decades go flying by, I'm increasingly careful about UV skin damage, so a collared, long-sleeve shirt doesn't bother me much (vs. absorbing sunscreen into my pores every day).

I deliberately avoid sending signals to mentally ill people that I'm the first one in a room who needs to be neutralized if they slip a cog and decide it's time to start hurting/killing innocents. Same goes for virtue-posturing libs who like to make a big, noisy deal out of people exercising their Constitutional rights. Wouldn't it suck for some vindictive, gun-hating liar (with friends/fake "witnesses") to accuse you of "brandishing," when you had done nothing of the sort? Emotionally defective oxygen bandits and their motives come in all shapes and sizes.

Since my carry status is nobody's business - ever - I go out of my way to keep it concealed.

Last Edited:
I guess I'm kinda past that point where I'm really concerned about some "mentally ill" or whatever kind of person being a problem. And realistically basically no "mentally ill" person is going to be able identify printing or honestly even just jacket covered carry as far as I'm concerned. Like, I don't really know what kind of people y'all refer to when you say that stuff.

Like let's be real, the only people who are gonna recognize a concealed handgun are those trained for it or maybe a few that carry themselves regularly. And even then, very few of them…

I guess my point is yeah it's great to say you wanna be super discreet, but to be worried about some random crazy person seeing your bulge in your pants and thinking they're gonna do anything is kinda silly to me.

The only reason I'd actually be worried about if someone saw I was carrying is if they were doing a semi-pro crime like a bank robbery or something where they would maybe have some training.

Random gangbanger gas station robber just isn't gonna notice. You'll either get shot before you know what's going on or they'll just walk right past you.

Also I'm now traveling to downtown Seattle regularly now. There's a lot of sus people around here and I'd still feel 100% confident wearing my handgun IWB or OWB under a jacket. If anything I'd be more concerned of an overzealous cop noticing it than a "mentally ill" which there are definitely plenty of here.

Humans are oblivious to others, generally speaking. Even if you think others can see it, they probably don't. And that's the thought process I follow.
^ This is the correct answer. Sadly, the overwhelming majority of humans are clueless about their surroundings. (That's not to mean I don't take measures to insure my carry piece, whatever it may be that day, is concealed. But I'm not going to sweat it.)

I'm a short, fat guy and I've carried since I was 21. Now I'm 75 and it's more important to be prepared than ever before. I have high quality holsters (I make my own) and I don't care if my gun "prints." I don't carry in Oregon, but I do in Utah, Arizona and Texas. It is little or no concern to me if someone notices the printing. They either see an old fat guy carrying a gun or they're giving second thoughts about attacking me or they ignore me. If I "trigger" some liberal goofball and they confront me, I'll explain that it's none of their business. I once had a woman tapping me on the chest while she yelled at me about "probably being a Trump supporter, etc." I told her not to touch me again. She did and I had her arrested for assault. This was in Seattle. The cops came and made the arrest all the while she's screaming that I have a gun. They handcuffed her and put her in their patrol car. Then they proceeded to ask me if I was carrying and of course I said yes and produced my CCL. End of story. The prosecutor refused to bring charges against her.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top