JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Question pretty much in the subject, obviously we try to minimize printing, but to a point, how much does it matter?
Doesn't matter in Oregon legally.

Some states it MAY matter, legally.

As towards the rest of the discussion? Sure, when carrying concealed it just makes sense to try not to print to me. Am not over thinking such tho.

I wear a cotton sleeveless t-shirt and wear a polo shirt untucked in the warmer weather and wear an IWB. When it gets colder in tuck my shirt in and wear either a IWB or OWB holster. If I wear an OWB then I need to wear a longer coat since some jackets doesn't go far enough down to hide my holster.

Last Edited:
Columbia PFG shirts. Get a size big and you could cc any gun you'd ever want. They're very breathable, comfortable, and don't scream "tactical."

But to answer your question, when I'm working, my gun simply cannot be seen, so printing is a huge priority. When I'm shopping at the grocery store, I don't give it a second thought. My life pretty much revolves around work, the grocery/hardware store and the woods. Your situation will dictate how much of an issue printing is.

I recently ordered a holster with a retention strap, first one since my drop leg military. OWB it'll be cc only in winter, under a coat. (Unless I get into summer time hoodies...)

Why? I hear retention is good. lol So want to see how adding the thumb snap goes into the mix. After a few months of working with various kydex open top holsters I've come to a conclusion: I'll never "get the drop" on anyone by being fast. Because I'm not; good grip, draw, up, second hand, out, sight picture, is what I'm trying to get to in muscle memory, and that'll never be as fast as other techniques. It'll be even slower with the retention strap.

My IWB is the same technique, adding the reveal of course. Again, won't be anybody's huckleberry with that.

IMO (uninformed by real life, because I've never actually drawn a gun against someone) muscle memory around a safe and good technique and (most importantly!) knowing when to deploy are more important than raw speed of the draw anyway.
Fast is fine, accurate is final.
You can NOT miss fast enough to win a gunfight.

Joe

This weekend I found a guy carrying 3 o'clock IWB with his shirt tucked in behind the gun so I wonder to myself "what the hell is the point?". Handle totally high-riding visible and protruding out of his waistband...like not even close to concealed other than the barrel tucked into his pants. T-Shirt had a big Sig Sauer logo on it. I get it, you you love to show off your P320 but why go to the trouble to hide just the barrel?

Why not just go OWB or straight-up open-carry at that point? It's like you have your balls out but afraid to whip out the shaft.
Ever done it? (Not the whip out part!)
Mebbe....HE just finds it comfortable for him...mebbe his box of holsters is a bit light (you do have your own box-o-holsters, right?)...
Mebbe....he practiced all he can and just...can't....do....any....better.
Did ya ask him? I do all the time-we gun people are a friendly lot- asked a guy carrying the same way....he was so grateful that I let him know, he just didn't realize it was showing.

Joe

I recently ordered a holster with a retention strap, first one since my drop leg military. OWB it'll be cc only in winter, under a coat. (Unless I get into summer time hoodies...)

Why? I hear retention is good. lol So want to see how adding the thumb snap goes into the mix. After a few months of working with various kydex open top holsters I've come to a conclusion: I'll never "get the drop" on anyone by being fast. Because I'm not; good grip, draw, up, second hand, out, sight picture, is what I'm trying to get to in muscle memory, and that'll never be as fast as other techniques. It'll be even slower with the retention strap.

My IWB is the same technique, adding the reveal of course. Again, won't be anybody's huckleberry with that.

IMO (uninformed by real life, because I've never actually drawn a gun against someone) muscle memory around a safe and good technique and (most importantly!) knowing when to deploy are more important than raw speed of the draw anyway.
I started switching over to thumb break for two reasons, first is the kids, and second is I carry cocked and locked. I practice my draw with retention and thumbing the safety.

Well, much like using analog watches, manual transmissions, I generally prefer not to print.
I much prefer 'cursive"....
.... cuz' to the current crop of kids it's like writing in a secret code. :s0155:

(Wait, what? oohhh...never mind)

Concealment...AIWB>IWB>OWB
Comfort...OWB>IWB>AIWB

If concealment is a low priorty I'll wear my Raven Concealment Roland Special Phantom OWB holster with a 17 round mag, if I mostly want it concealed but not to worried if shows a little I'll wear my Kramer #3 IWB with a 15 round mag. If concealment is a top priority, such as a non-permissive environment I'll wear my Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB with a loose shirt that is both dark and has a mixed pattern or photo.

I'm an old guy and no one really notices how we dress. I have blue jeans one size up from what normally fits for IWB. I also wear untucked shirts sometimes with a windbreaker depending on the weather. Around the farm if someone I know sees my sidearm - we usually stop and have a show and tell session. If I don't know them, its "What the H888L are you doing in my field?!" Yawn- time for bed now its almost 6pm. LOL

Question pretty much in the subject, obviously we try to minimize printing, but to a point, how much does it matter?

It seems like with the exception of some LE, only people who'd notice and recognize printing are those who carry themselves, so do you really worry about it?

Is there a legal issue with printing? If I want to wear an OWB holster that's pretty flat/tight but my t-shirt catches on the handle a bit, is this really an issue for EDC use you think?

Looking for genuine opinions.

Yes, I have an IWB holster, but I find it gives me a bit of rash when worn where I like it. I've only worn in IWB so far but my OWB is vastly more comfortable but definitely more noticeable to anyone who'd look.

There also of course, other things one could add such as a lightweight windbreaker for extra concealment, but this would be a bit silly in the summer.
No it's not that big of deal. We tend to get too academic about these things. Most people are way too concerned with their own affairs to notice. LE or CHL holders may notice, but that's due to training and familiarity.

Last Edited:
I'm 5'10 and 180 pounds. I just went back to carrying a G45 (full grip) AIWB. Do I print? A little… Am I concerned about it? Not in the slightest. Have I ever been "made?" Never. Or at least no one has said anything to me.

My little brain prints more often than my big gun. People sometimes notice the former, they rarely notice the latter, but they generally know I'm packing.

#themoreyouknow

So I picked this response out to counter because it's the best case of over-thinking the issue I've seen around here lately.

A. Give us an example of something that regularly happens locally where one would require this "tactical advantage." Aggressive panhandler down near PIke Place?
B. If one's in a situation where this could happen, one is most definitely in a situation in which one should not be... 2:30 am in a nightclub parking lot? House party with a lot of gang-bangers present? Tacoma Mall on Black Friday?
C. So how often does this happen? I'm not aware of it happening to the point where it'd be a concern -- kindly document recent cases of this happening around Puget Sound.
D. Refer to C. One reported case in the state of Washington in the past 15 years that was reported.
E. We're in Washington. OP is in Oregon. Let's stick to our states laws.

As this member states, people are oblivious. 99% of people who'd notice a bulge wouldn't automatically presume it's a firearm. Of those who could actually identify the bulge or exposed portion as an actual firearm, 99% of the people in the Northwest would presume one is either law enforcement or a lawful concealed carrier, as most up here are aware that we are shall-issue states.

It's simply a non-issue to most. Carry what's comfortable. I carry a full-size pistol OWB almost exclusively. And it's not like the weather up here demands that we go around scantily clad to the point where we can't conceal a Desert Eagle if we want...
This x1000

I carry a full-size pistol, handcuffs, extra magazine, a knife and flashlight....on commercial flights. Mostly under an untucked polo shirt or a flannel. Maybe I've been made, but I doubt it.
Agreed. I carry a full size pistol, TQ, folding knife, flashlight, and a fixed blade. Clothes and carry position play a huge role. Along with your posture. I will say for me personally it is much easier to conceal and minimize printing in the AIWB format. Never have to worry about my shirt riding up or being stretched over the gun and the weapon is parallel to my body which hides it vs the grip pointing away from my body and becoming much more noticeable when bending, kneeling, ect. I am not worried about printing but I do my best to keep my little secret a secret.

I carry a full-size pistol, handcuffs, extra magazine, a knife and flashlight....on commercial flights. Mostly under an untucked polo shirt or a flannel. Maybe I've been made, but I doubt it.
It's because you look so scary. Avatar pic? No.
It's a selfie, no makeup. Ain't no one even pretending not to look in your direction!

J/K, you stole that pic off my Facebook page after a night of heavy drinking, blow and hos. "The Hangover"? Yeah, biography

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top