JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Question pretty much in the subject, obviously we try to minimize printing, but to a point, how much does it matter?

It seems like with the exception of some LE, only people who'd notice and recognize printing are those who carry themselves, so do you really worry about it?

Is there a legal issue with printing? If I want to wear an OWB holster that's pretty flat/tight but my t-shirt catches on the handle a bit, is this really an issue for EDC use you think?

Looking for genuine opinions.

Yes, I have an IWB holster, but I find it gives me a bit of rash when worn where I like it. I've only worn in IWB so far but my OWB is vastly more comfortable but definitely more noticeable to anyone who'd look.

There also of course, other things one could add such as a lightweight windbreaker for extra concealment, but this would be a bit silly in the summer.
I say carry deep. Keeps a low profile for you, doesn't let your opponent know you are armed and with what which is an advantage, doesn't risk some pyscho freaking out and calling the cops, and nowadays the sight of a gun can even prompt someone to attack you to get the gun as we have seen in Portland.

To me the only advantage of not carrying deep would be comfort. And this can be offset by having a comfortable holster. But everyone has different preferences, those are just my preferences.

"Uncomfortableness" with any carry method is often as you said, just getting used to it. A lot of people seemingly expect to feel as if they are not wearing it, without getting passed the body conditioning to do that.

A personal experience example: put on a football helmet that is properly tight to your head. It's not pleasant initially, will take a few weeks, but then your head has toughened up and it's not an issue.
This brings up some thoughts for me as I have been going to a Chiropractor and PT. Got me thinking of all the wear and tear on my body (40+ years) and I wonder if certain concealment methods have had an effect on people from a posture or other kind of spinal issues. Not sure if this makes sense.

I just know that even just sitting non-optimally in an office chair can cause back problems so I wonder if, for instance, carrying at the 5 to 7 o'clocks can mess with your posture enough to hurt you over time.

This brings up some thoughts for me as I have been going to a Chiropractor and PT. Got me thinking of all the wear and tear on my body (40+ years) and I wonder if certain concealment methods have had an effect on people from a posture or other kind of spinal issues. Not sure if this makes sense.

I just know that even just sitting non-optimally in an office chair can cause back problems so I wonder if, for instance, carrying at the 5 to 7 o'clocks can mess with your posture enough to hurt you over time.
Carry appendix. Haha. It forces good posture requires one to sit up straight. No slouching. Although to some comfort is more important. Good point though. Gear placement and posture can cause issues later down the road.

Definitely! A few pounds on one side of the body, not balanced, could cause an issue if the person is not maintaining muscle control and is instead modifying their posture unevenly to accommodate it. Even for myself, my Glock in holster rides 3:30 as it gets to 4pm it starts to impact the gate of my walk because the lower part of the holster will conflict with my upper cheek when I am walking.

Heck, the wallet in the back packet is known to cause back issues for some people.

A little off topic, but I have been carrying for almost a decade and there have been a few instances where I didn't realize that my shirt had been snagged on my pistol, exposing it. One of the times this happened I was around 21 or 22, and I was buying alcohol. I was at the self checkout and when I rang it up, the clerk cleared the ID check without seeing my ID. I was really surprised until I got back to my car until I realized the grip of my pistol was showing. I guess the clerk figured if I was old enough to be carrying, I was old enough to buy alcohol. Just an interesting aside

A little off topic, but I have been carrying for almost a decade and there have been a few instances where I didn't realize that my shirt had been snagged on my pistol, exposing it. One of the times this happened I was around 21 or 22, and I was buying alcohol. I was at the self checkout and when I rang it up, the clerk cleared the ID check without seeing my ID. I was really surprised until I got back to my car until I realized the grip of my pistol was showing. I guess the clerk figured if I was old enough to be carrying, I was old enough to buy alcohol. Just an interesting aside
He probably appreciated you were paying for it considering the circumstances.

I say carry deep. Keeps a low profile for you, doesn't let your opponent know you are armed and with what which is an advantage, doesn't risk some pyscho freaking out and calling the cops, and nowadays the sight of a gun can even prompt someone to attack you to get the gun as we have seen in Portland.

To me the only advantage of not carrying deep would be comfort. And this can be offset by having a comfortable holster. But everyone has different preferences, those are just my preferences.
How deep are we talking? Cause I refuse to give up speed and accessibility for guaranteed "deep" concealment. If you wear the correct clothes, have a quality holster, quality belt, and correct position for your body type there is no reason to carry "deep." With that being said if you are carrying at a place of employment that will terminate you if a firearm is found I can understand deep concealment. I'd rather have it then not. People are way too focused and concerned about "printing." The American population as a whole are ignorant, oblivious, and unaware of their surroundings. The average person won't ever see past the screen of their phone. Don't worry about minor printing….

How deep are we talking? Cause I refuse to give up speed and accessibility for guaranteed "deep" concealment. If you wear the correct clothes, have a quality holster, quality belt, and correct position for your body type there is no reason to carry "deep." With that being said if you are carrying at a place of employment that will terminate you if a firearm is found I can understand deep concealment. I'd rather have it then not. People are way too focused and concerned about "printing." The American population as a whole are ignorant, oblivious, and unaware of their surroundings. The average person won't ever see past the screen of their phone. Don't worry about minor printing….
Carrying "deep" to me does not literally mean "deep" at all. To me it means taking the time to figure out a system that works for you that is not visible. Such a system imo should not impact speed or accessibility at all. A good example is tuckable IWB holsters.

Personally I don't like some of the systems where the gun is hanging down wherever and you are supposed to pull a strap to raise it then draw it etc. imo none of that is needed and more chances for things to get hung up etc.

Carrying "deep" to me does not literally mean "deep" at all. To me it means taking the time to figure out a system that works for you that is not visible. Such a system imo should not impact speed or accessibility at all. A good example is tuckable IWB holsters.

Personally I don't like some of the systems where the gun is hanging down wherever and you are supposed to pull a strap to raise it then draw it etc. imo none of that is needed and more chances for things to get hung up etc.
We are on the same page. When I hear deep concealment I think pocket carry or those goofy urban carry holsters that put the gun way down your thigh. Haha.

We are on the same page. When I hear deep concealment I think pocket carry or those goofy urban carry holsters that put the gun way down your thigh. Haha.
I pocket carry my sig p938 9mm a lot. In an Alabama holster it is invisible and comfortable. Have to have nothing else in the pocket. What's nice is you can pre release the holster with your thumb and have your hand on the gun in your pocket near the top of pocket. In sketchy situations you can have your hand on your gun and ready to draw at the top of your pocket and nobody knows it. It makes for an incredibly fast draw. Only works with small guns though.

The first seconds of this video is good example of what it looks like in action:

Last Edited:
I pocket carry my sig p938 9mm a lot. In an Alabama holster it is invisible and comfortable. Have to have nothing else in the pocket. What's nice is you can pre release the holster with your thumb and have your hand on the gun in your pocket near the top of pocket. In sketchy situations you can have your hand on your gun and ready to draw at the top of your pocket and nobody knows it. It makes for an incredibly fast draw. Only works with small guns though.

The first seconds of this video is good example of what it looks like in action:

I pocket both a Sig P365 X and a LCP Max. I actually found that when you stuff your key fob on top of the slide, you actually create a bigger opening in your pocket so you can draw it way easier. Basically like just reaching down for your keys or wallet.

Only works with anything you have that is rectangular like a key fob or the Keysmart Pro I have.

If I carried a mouse gun/subcompact maybe. But I feel much more comfortable carrying and shooting a full size pistol personally. To each there own though. If it works that's all that matters.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top