JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're gonna print, might as well be through this T-shirt.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 2.04.12 PM.png

Question pretty much in the subject, obviously we try to minimize printing, but to a point, how much does it matter?

It seems like with the exception of some LE, only people who'd notice and recognize printing are those who carry themselves, so do you really worry about it?

Is there a legal issue with printing? If I want to wear an OWB holster that's pretty flat/tight but my t-shirt catches on the handle a bit, is this really an issue for EDC use you think?

Looking for genuine opinions.

Yes, I have an IWB holster, but I find it gives me a bit of rash when worn where I like it. I've only worn in IWB so far but my OWB is vastly more comfortable but definitely more noticeable to anyone who'd look.

There also of course, other things one could add such as a lightweight windbreaker for extra concealment, but this would be a bit silly in the summer.
Just don't do it in the Post Office. Or any other "rights denied" places.

Printing creates several problems:

A. You give away the tactical advantage of having a concealed weapon. The element of surprise is one you want to maintain if at all possible, because it could be the thing that makes a difference between you surviving a deadly force encounter or not.

B. If people know a weapon is present, that may lead to more escalation than would otherwise occur if they were not aware of it. Guns put some people on edge - fight or flight reactions don't just happen to you, they also happen to the other guy. Who's to say the presence of a weapon won't make a person do something stupid, or worse, try to use your possession of a weapon as justification for using force of his own? Not saying that would fly legally, but there are dumb people out there who might try it.

C. If people know you have a gun, they might try to take it from you. Numerous cases of theft have happened where the assailant walked up behind a CCWer and just yanked the gun out of their holster. This is especially a concern if carrying strong side hip or small of back.

D. People are jerks, and it's not uncommon for people who are anti-gun to call the police and report it when they see someone carrying a gun. Sometimes they even lie about it and say you're flashing it or making threats, which then means you have a he-said/she-said situation, and potential legal trouble to boot. Never had it happen to me (fortunately), but it definitely has happened to others.

E. If you carry in non-permissive environments where the establishment prohibits guns but signage does NOT have the force of law and someone sees your gun, they will likely ask you to leave, and if you refuse, then you're trespassing and in violation of the law. This varies by state so know your laws - this example is specific to WA. In some states signage DOES have the force of law, and if you violate it you'll find yourself in legal trouble.

Most people are oblivious and will not realize you're carrying, even if the printing is really obvious, but some will. One time I made the mistake of not making sure I wasn't printing before walking into a coffee shop. I heard people behind me whispering "he's carrying a gun" when standing in line to order, and let me tell you, that's not a good feeling to have when you think you're concealed and someone notices it. I promptly got my coffee and left, then spent a lot of time finetuning my carry rig to keep that from happening again.

IMO, there are very few occasions where I would even remotely consider open carrying, and while legally they may be different I consider any kind of obvious printing to be the same as open carry. When I was growing up my parents used to say "children should be seen and not heard". As a gun owner, I believe concealed carry guns should be heard and not seen.

That's my $0.02 - YMMV. Hope this helps!
So I picked this response out to counter because it's the best case of over-thinking the issue I've seen around here lately.

A. Give us an example of something that regularly happens locally where one would require this "tactical advantage." Aggressive panhandler down near PIke Place?
B. If one's in a situation where this could happen, one is most definitely in a situation in which one should not be... 2:30 am in a nightclub parking lot? House party with a lot of gang-bangers present? Tacoma Mall on Black Friday?
C. So how often does this happen? I'm not aware of it happening to the point where it'd be a concern -- kindly document recent cases of this happening around Puget Sound.
D. Refer to C. One reported case in the state of Washington in the past 15 years that was reported.
E. We're in Washington. OP is in Oregon. Let's stick to our states laws.

As this member states, people are oblivious. 99% of people who'd notice a bulge wouldn't automatically presume it's a firearm. Of those who could actually identify the bulge or exposed portion as an actual firearm, 99% of the people in the Northwest would presume one is either law enforcement or a lawful concealed carrier, as most up here are aware that we are shall-issue states.

It's simply a non-issue to most. Carry what's comfortable. I carry a full-size pistol OWB almost exclusively. And it's not like the weather up here demands that we go around scantily clad to the point where we can't conceal a Desert Eagle if we want...

So I picked this response out to counter because it's the best case of over-thinking the issue I've seen around here lately.

A. Give us an example of something that regularly happens locally where one would require this "tactical advantage." Aggressive panhandler down near PIke Place?
B. If one's in a situation where this could happen, one is most definitely in a situation in which one should not be... 2:30 am in a nightclub parking lot? House party with a lot of gang-bangers present? Tacoma Mall on Black Friday?
C. So how often does this happen? I'm not aware of it happening to the point where it'd be a concern -- kindly document recent cases of this happening around Puget Sound.
D. Refer to C. One reported case in the state of Washington in the past 15 years that was reported.
E. We're in Washington. OP is in Oregon. Let's stick to our states laws.

As this member states, people are oblivious. 99% of people who'd notice a bulge wouldn't automatically presume it's a firearm. Of those who could actually identify the bulge or exposed portion as an actual firearm, 99% of the people in the Northwest would presume one is either law enforcement or a lawful concealed carrier, as most up here are aware that we are shall-issue states.

It's simply a non-issue to most. Carry what's comfortable. I carry a full-size pistol OWB almost exclusively. And it's not like the weather up here demands that we go around scantily clad to the point where we can't conceal a Desert Eagle if we want...
Last part got a chuckle from me. I tend to agree with most of this too. But to be fair to Bradsteen, I will be moving to WA soon so that bit does help me.

I was at the skating rink with the kids Saturday with my Glock 26 OWB under a t-shirt.

What does

mean?
It means that in Oregon you can open carry unless the local jurisdiction has an ordinance against it. But.... If you have a CHL, you can tell that jurisdiction to pound sand.

For example, Portland and MultCo have a prohibition against having a loaded firearm, magazine, or clip within the jurisdiction unless you have a CHL.

I gave the warning that I don't endorse it but explained the bad guys don't wear holsters. Every weekend we see huge numbers of shootings and killings done in the big cites. If you watch some you can see how it works but frankly you won't beat them to the draw because they have their hands on their guns when they get near you.

Advice is something I try not to give other than learn what you are up against. However I will move on and let you guys follow your methods without thought. Every cop you see murdered has a gun in his holster and most are surprised by the hidden weapon.

Have a nice day.
Having a holster compared to not having a holster has nothing to do with speed (draw) or printing….. in fact if you get a quality holster it will help mitigate printing by using your belt and friction/tension points. Bad guys have their gun first because they are the aggressors and already have their gun out in the process of committing a crime forcing the victim to be on the defense. Not because they don't wear a holster….. if someone carries without a holster (like a thug/criminal/gang banger) I hope they shoot their d!ck off and never procreate. Let's not give advice to members and other individuals to carry without a holster. That is unsafe and plain stupid. If you're gunna carry please do so in a holster. If you don't like holsters atleast invest in a trigger guard that attaches to your belt.

On the topic of printing. Some of you have way too much faith in humanity. The average person will never notice unless you are extreme about it (300 pounds and a small T-shirt wrapped around the gun).

If you're worried about printing carry appendix. And wear shirts with dark colors or with patterns that will break up the outline of the grip. If you carry appendix. Carry in a holster. Or you'll end up like cheddar bob.

F4405E6F-3827-4CB0-A47F-10EEFE07D57E.jpeg

Last Edited:
Question pretty much in the subject, obviously we try to minimize printing, but to a point, how much does it matter?

It seems like with the exception of some LE, only people who'd notice and recognize printing are those who carry themselves, so do you really worry about it?

Is there a legal issue with printing? If I want to wear an OWB holster that's pretty flat/tight but my t-shirt catches on the handle a bit, is this really an issue for EDC use you think?

Looking for genuine opinions.

Yes, I have an IWB holster, but I find it gives me a bit of rash when worn where I like it. I've only worn in IWB so far but my OWB is vastly more comfortable but definitely more noticeable to anyone who'd look.

There also of course, other things one could add such as a lightweight windbreaker for extra concealment, but this would be a bit silly in the summer.
If you want to minimize the likelihood of getting a brick upside your head for your gun, it matters.
Good talk.

I actually recently bought a few of those undershirts, both 'wifebeaters' and athletic skin tight styles. I think they help a bit but I'm unsure if it was even a rash or straight-up bruise. It got all purple n real bad looking. Still itchy like 3+ weeks later. I switched to appendix and IWB with undershirt since and have yet to notice anything, but it's also not pressing nearly as tight as 3 o'clock was in to my side.

I want to go back to 3/9 o'clock though as it's both more natural and sitting with appendix for me is blegh

I actually recently bought a few of those undershirts, both 'wifebeaters' and athletic skin tight styles. I think they help a bit but I'm unsure if it was even a rash or straight-up bruise. It got all purple n real bad looking. Still itchy like 3+ weeks later. I switched to appendix and IWB with undershirt since and have yet to notice anything, but it's also not pressing nearly as tight as 3 o'clock was in to my side.
How long have you been carrying if you don't mind me asking? Also your gun/holster/belt combo along with positioning will have a lot to do with it. That all just takes time and money to find what works best for you.

A couple months more or less. I have kydex holster for both IWB/OWB. I tend to use the velcro inner belt from those combat belts if you know what I mean.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top