JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shoot a lot of steel, and it's reusable so I'm doing my part. ;)

For paper, it's typically at longer distance so I use shoot-n-see targets so the spotter can call my shouts out better.

I like your idea though and see how it could be useful for members here!

Sounds like a good way to go through a lot of expensive toner or (worse yet) printer ink.

Being a tightwad, I have found two ways to get good but cheap targets. I buy a package of crosshatched paper (the school kind for making graphs). I buy a roll of that dark blue 3M masking tape, the 2" (or so) wide stuff. I cut squares of it off and stick them in my case, one on top of the other. At the range I take a piece of the graph paper and stick one of the squares in the middle of it, for pistols or iron-sighted rifles. For scoped rifles, for long range targets, I will take 4 of the squares and put them on the paper in a cross pattern, so the reticle sits in the middle ideally with just a little white visible between the reticle and the squares. This makes for the best possible aiming point.

Sometimes instead of that 3M stuff I find some black duct tape, that works almost as well.

For longer range, the 2" squares are too small. You can get what's called "butcher paper" (I think) in craft stores in various colors. It is very cheap. I buy some of the black and then start cutting squares out for it, 3", 4", 6", etc and put them in my case in a sandwich bag. I have in my case a glue stick to glue them to the target. Of course the 8 1/2x11 graph paper gets too small too, so you need to use something larger. You can use white butcher paper or just any large light colored sheet.

Another alternative for that long range stuff is to build up your squares to larger sizes using multiple pieces of blue 3M tape.

You mean the clown or printable targets in general?

If it is printable targets in general what is the objection?

Just wish to know so if there is some thing I'm doing with these that I can fix to make them less objectionable, I might do that. We are certainly not intending to offend any one.

They do not allow anything that looks even remotely like a Human. A printed target is not the problem it would be the subject matter. NO ZOMBIES etc.

Paper plates and felt marker to draw a big "cross" for point of reference, tape to plug holes. Shoot 'em up ...... repeat. It's pretty cheap.
Ive used paper plates but now this is pretty much what I do...

A stack of 8x11 cheapest printer paper is like 5 bucks for about 600 sheets. I replaced my felt marker with a bingo dobber makes a nice round dot thats about 1" in diameter in one "dob" hit...

100yds-jpg.309141.jpg

as for the question at hand, I agree with Joe13 if your doing this for fun then its a good idea (I might even print out one or two occasionally) but otherwise it would be cheaper for the average person to just buy commercial printed targets. Or even cheaper to make their own.
I do like the target selection on your website though, those are nice.

My wife almost scalped me when I printed out about 100 basic targets from one of those sites and told me it would have been way cheaper then the ink to have just gone and bought them.

I could have bought a 100 pack of the shoot and see targets for not much after looking into it.

If your doing it for fun then good on ya.

If your doing it for possible ad revenue then no, it isn't worth it.

For things like target ink go on line to eBay and buy cheap ink from china. It will run in the rain but there is a price for everything.
An example - 30 pk New LC61 Ink Cartridge for Brother Printer MFC-490CW MFC-J415W MFC-J615W | eBay
Silver Hand

I am helping a friend with a website where you can download and print targets.

link >> FreeTarget.org - Free Printable Targets | Download and Print shooting targets - totally free

His idea, my graphics skills. I have photo shop and the means to make PDF files.

We have about 12 or so different designs posted so far with more to come soon, as I get new ideas, have the time or find new photos or graphics to make targets out of.

Is this a good idea or a waste of time? Seems to be working for us.... People at the range seem to like them, we usually hand out a bunch to people there who need them.

It is usually the people shooting .22 like us though not the hard core dudes shooting big bore or long range rifles etc. Though I don't see why they would not work for that?

We made our own site due to wanting targets not available on other such sites. Shooting at our local range and setting up steel targets is not allowed, they only want you punching holes in paper.

If any one has an idea or photo or graphic of something they would like to see made into a printable target you can upload it to this thread or send it to me directly if the graphics file is too large to post here.

ex wives and current political candidates, though it might be funny, are off the table.

Though we have made some of a certain candidate and people at the range ask for them so they can shoot holes in this persons face....?? Seems to be some anger at a certain candidate??

Sorry those are not going public. Don't want the jackboots after me....

Seems to be a problem with clowns recently, maybe I'll do a clown target next....

If you print up a poster of one of those isis guys standing behind his kneeling victim, I'll buy that. Not sure I'd want to try to print it off on my machine.

You might consider some 1/4" grids for 25y or 1/2" grids for 50y targets.

Something I would like to see are some of the game targets. I've seen Battleship and mini golf. Something to challenge your buddy with. Poor man's dueling tree.

link >> FreeTarget.org - Free Printable Targets | Download and Print shooting targets - totally free

Just a suggestion, but if you use your printer to print a bunch of those targets, it will be expensive due to the price of printer ink. One solution is to print one and take it to a local print shop and see how much they will charge you to print a dozen. It is usually cheaper to have a print shop do them in volume.

I have switched to the 1LB 6OZ ALPO cans, filled with water.
They are more fun to shoot, If I'm just plinking!
Might as well the range is in the back yard and recycle never said those cans have holes in them we don't take those.
English Mastiff, The dog eats two cans of food a day plus about a pound of Purina Smart blend dry dog food and everything or anything from the table or frig. that is not going to be in my lunch the next day.
My wife loves her pets.
Silver Hand

His idea, my graphics skills. I have photo shop and the means to make PDF files.

We have about 12 or so different designs posted so far with more to come soon, as I get new ideas, have the time or find new photos or graphics to make targets out of.

Is this a good idea or a waste of time? Seems to be working for us.... People at the range seem to like them, we usually hand out a bunch to people there who need them.

It is usually the people shooting .22 like us though not the hard core dudes shooting big bore or long range rifles etc. Though I don't see why they would not work for that?

We made our own site due to wanting targets not available on other such sites. Shooting at our local range and setting up steel targets is not allowed, they only want you punching holes in paper.

If any one has an idea or photo or graphic of something they would like to see made into a printable target you can upload it to this thread or send it to me directly if the graphics file is too large to post here.

ex wives and current political candidates, though it might be funny, are off the table.

Though we have made some of a certain candidate and people at the range ask for them so they can shoot holes in this persons face....?? Seems to be some anger at a certain candidate??

Sorry those are not going public. Don't want the jackboots after me....

Seems to be a problem with clowns recently, maybe I'll do a clown target next....

The range near me has a rule - no targets that resemble persons living or deceased.
So even though John Calhoun is not "easily discernible" by today's standards, he's off limits

Thanks, @NCW_Robert , for the authorization to put your web site link on my site! It's up and running at; Shooting Brochure (Printable Targets & Shooting Brochure).

Bill

Now, we need to get USFS, ODF & WA. DNR to allow us to put up some Realtor type brochure boxes, on their sign boards near public land shooting sites, and stock them with these kind of free targets, as well as, the Target Shooting on Public Land brochure. Since we frequent these places, like the newly developed Tillamook lanes and Mt Hood Wildcat sites, it would be easy to keep them stocked. Just print a few extra before leaving and take them with you.

My thinking is people may be more inclined to take care of a place because they see someone has been maintaining it with information to benefit shooters. Hopefully, they will appreciate our efforts and keep it clean. (I hear they have been taking signs off the board and using them for targets)!

The next idea is to stock those sign boards with free trash bags.

Bill... again.

Ive used paper plates but now this is pretty much what I do...

A stack of 8x11 cheapest printer paper is like 5 bucks for about 600 sheets. I replaced my felt marker with a bingo dobber makes a nice round dot thats about 1" in diameter in one "dob" hit...

View attachment 321752

as for the question at hand, I agree with Joe13 if your doing this for fun then its a good idea (I might even print out one or two occasionally) but otherwise it would be cheaper for the average person to just buy commercial printed targets. Or even cheaper to make their own.
I do like the target selection on your website though, those are nice.

It does really come down to if you have a laser or color inkjet.

I have both and can print only black and white with the laser but it is unbelievably cheap.

I know many of you feel you need the color but I find, I do 95% of my printing on the laser without color and it is fine.

I have product inserts that need to be color and can print them cheaper then I can buy them unless I got like 5000 of them printed at once. Since I am a very small business, I'll do my own printing, as needed.

I got to tell ya, those color refill systems ROCK and make inkjet printing affordable.

If any of you do a LOT of inkjet printing, you really should look into the color ink refill systems.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads