Printable Targets - a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by NCW_Robert, Nov 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I shoot a lot of steel, and it's reusable so I'm doing my part. ;)

For paper, it's typically at longer distance so I use shoot-n-see targets so the spotter can call my shouts out better.

I like your idea though and see how it could be useful for members here!

clearconscience likes this.
  2. PaulB47

PaulB47
    Hillsboro

Sounds like a good way to go through a lot of expensive toner or (worse yet) printer ink.

Being a tightwad, I have found two ways to get good but cheap targets. I buy a package of crosshatched paper (the school kind for making graphs). I buy a roll of that dark blue 3M masking tape, the 2" (or so) wide stuff. I cut squares of it off and stick them in my case, one on top of the other. At the range I take a piece of the graph paper and stick one of the squares in the middle of it, for pistols or iron-sighted rifles. For scoped rifles, for long range targets, I will take 4 of the squares and put them on the paper in a cross pattern, so the reticle sits in the middle ideally with just a little white visible between the reticle and the squares. This makes for the best possible aiming point.

Sometimes instead of that 3M stuff I find some black duct tape, that works almost as well.

For longer range, the 2" squares are too small. You can get what's called "butcher paper" (I think) in craft stores in various colors. It is very cheap. I buy some of the black and then start cutting squares out for it, 3", 4", 6", etc and put them in my case in a sandwich bag. I have in my case a glue stick to glue them to the target. Of course the 8 1/2x11 graph paper gets too small too, so you need to use something larger. You can use white butcher paper or just any large light colored sheet.

Another alternative for that long range stuff is to build up your squares to larger sizes using multiple pieces of blue 3M tape.

3. wayoutwest

wayoutwest
    Polk County, Oregon

Dollar Tree , a pack of 10" paper dinner plates, work perfect, regular masking tape...perfect

ikemay, AndyinEverson and Joe13 like this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W.
    Silverton, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

They do not allow anything that looks even remotely like a Human. A printed target is not the problem it would be the subject matter. NO ZOMBIES etc.

Joe13 likes this.
  5. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Ive used paper plates but now this is pretty much what I do...

A stack of 8x11 cheapest printer paper is like 5 bucks for about 600 sheets. I replaced my felt marker with a bingo dobber makes a nice round dot thats about 1" in diameter in one "dob" hit...

100yds-jpg.309141.jpg

as for the question at hand, I agree with Joe13 if your doing this for fun then its a good idea (I might even print out one or two occasionally) but otherwise it would be cheaper for the average person to just buy commercial printed targets. Or even cheaper to make their own.
    I do like the target selection on your website though, those are nice.

6. wired

wired
    Yakima

I'm glad I'm not the only one burning up the work printer. I consider it part of my compensation package.

7. Silver Hand

Silver Hand
    Southern Oregon Coast

For things like target ink go on line to eBay and buy cheap ink from china. It will run in the rain but there is a price for everything.
    An example - 30 pk New LC61 Ink Cartridge for Brother Printer MFC-490CW MFC-J415W MFC-J615W | eBay
    Silver Hand

Joe13 likes this.
  8. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

My home range sells targets at their cost so targets are cheap for me. I keep over buying so I have a bit of a collection for when I go out to the boonies.

9. clearconscience

clearconscience
    Vancouver, WA
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

No more paper plates and a sharpie?!

ikemay, Joe13 and AndyinEverson like this.
  10. wired

wired
    Yakima

11. Howard1955

Howard1955
    Dallas, Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you print up a poster of one of those isis guys standing behind his kneeling victim, I'll buy that. Not sure I'd want to try to print it off on my machine.

uscsoldier and Joe13 like this.
  12. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom
    Vancouver, WA
    Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

You might consider some 1/4" grids for 25y or 1/2" grids for 50y targets.

Something I would like to see are some of the game targets. I've seen Battleship and mini golf. Something to challenge your buddy with. Poor man's dueling tree.

dwaineshort and Joe13 like this.
  13. best defense

best defense
    Beaverton, OR

Just a suggestion, but if you use your printer to print a bunch of those targets, it will be expensive due to the price of printer ink. One solution is to print one and take it to a local print shop and see how much they will charge you to print a dozen. It is usually cheaper to have a print shop do them in volume.

Joe13 likes this.
  14. Silver Hand

Silver Hand
    Southern Oregon Coast

I have switched to the 1LB 6OZ ALPO cans, filled with water.
    They are more fun to shoot, If I'm just plinking!
    Might as well the range is in the back yard and recycle never said those cans have holes in them we don't take those.
    English Mastiff, The dog eats two cans of food a day plus about a pound of Purina Smart blend dry dog food and everything or anything from the table or frig. that is not going to be in my lunch the next day.
    My wife loves her pets.
    Silver Hand

Joe13 likes this.
  15. caarecengi

caarecengi
    Hoodsport

The range near me has a rule - no targets that resemble persons living or deceased.
    So even though John Calhoun is not "easily discernible" by today's standards, he's off limits

16. Alderman

Alderman New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here are some pics of some I made to keep track of my reloading results.

Joe13 likes this.
  17. Alderman

Alderman New Member

Joe13 likes this.
  18. NCW_Robert

NCW_Robert
    Wenatchee

19. Cogs

Cogs
    Washougal, WA.
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Thanks, @NCW_Robert , for the authorization to put your web site link on my site! It's up and running at; Shooting Brochure (Printable Targets & Shooting Brochure).

Bill

Now, we need to get USFS, ODF & WA. DNR to allow us to put up some Realtor type brochure boxes, on their sign boards near public land shooting sites, and stock them with these kind of free targets, as well as, the Target Shooting on Public Land brochure. Since we frequent these places, like the newly developed Tillamook lanes and Mt Hood Wildcat sites, it would be easy to keep them stocked. Just print a few extra before leaving and take them with you.

My thinking is people may be more inclined to take care of a place because they see someone has been maintaining it with information to benefit shooters. Hopefully, they will appreciate our efforts and keep it clean. (I hear they have been taking signs off the board and using them for targets)!

The next idea is to stock those sign boards with free trash bags.

Bill... again.

20. NCW_Robert

NCW_Robert
    Wenatchee

It does really come down to if you have a laser or color inkjet.

I have both and can print only black and white with the laser but it is unbelievably cheap.

I know many of you feel you need the color but I find, I do 95% of my printing on the laser without color and it is fine.

I have product inserts that need to be color and can print them cheaper then I can buy them unless I got like 5000 of them printed at once. Since I am a very small business, I'll do my own printing, as needed.

I got to tell ya, those color refill systems ROCK and make inkjet printing affordable.

If any of you do a LOT of inkjet printing, you really should look into the color ink refill systems.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016