JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Exactly, except one thing to remember- those guys who might fill their basement during times of plenty, with an eye towards profits during times of lean, they are actually good for the market. As much as everyone hates scalpers, these guys are not scalpers, even if their prices are high like the scalpers.

They aren't the ones waiting for the ammo shipment at BiMart with their wives, kids, cousins, and neighbor's former roommates to clean off the shelves and resell here for triple. They bought in times of plenty when the shelves were full and available for everyone. When they resell now, it adds to the available supply and helps moderate prices.

Want to fill your basement during times of plenty, for whatever reason suits you? I say go for it. Just be aware of safety and fire codes, but otherwise have at it.
You are right on about that. Imagine if the only supply available was what the so called "scalpers" were buying and reselling. Current prices would seem tame in comparison.

So IF these guys are NOT scalpers, but their prices are HIGH like the scalpers, how do you differentiate between the two and what is the difference?

So, is it OK for a for a person to charge as much as a scalper because they have their 'basements filled' ? How are they 'Good' for the market if they are are charging the same amount as those 'cleaning off the shelves' ?

Is their 'eye toward profits in time of lean' somehow legitimizing it and making it more acceptable?

Sorry but none of this makes sense.
I think what @CLT65 was saying is that if the guys who bought when there was plenty available weren't selling right now, the prices would be much higher than we are seeing now. You would have fewer sellers with much less product and it would drive prices insanely high.

I think what @CLT65 was saying is that if the guys who bought when there was plenty available weren't selling right now, the prices would be much higher than we are seeing now. You would have fewer sellers with much less product and it would drive prices insanely high.
Exactly my point. To the guy paying the high price, there's no difference between the guy who stocked up in time of plenty and a scalper, but as it effects the market, there's a lot of difference. The scalper has interjected himself between primary retail and the consumer, to make a profit with no value added, whereas the hoarder is actually adding product to the market, which on a large enough scale will moderate prices.

For example, I have a couple cans of factory 5.56 set aside. It's all Federal green-tip, on strippers, in metal cans. I bought it cheap on a Black Friday sale several years ago, with no intention of selling it. I don't shoot much 5.56 and what little I do shoot is my own loads, but I figured it would be good to have a couple cans set aside for posterity. Prices are so crazy that now I'm tempted to sell it.

Should I sell it cheap to avoid being a scalper? No thanks. I didn't buy it to sell, don't need to sell, and for less than $400 per can I'm just not even tempted to sell. I'll just keep it. Can anyone blame me for keeping it? Can anyone blame me for selling it, if someone comes along who tempts me with a high price?

On the other hand, scalpers do what they do to take as much product out of the retail supply chain, away from other buyers, to interject themselves and grab a quick profit while adding nothing. This is legal, and I absolutely believe it should remain legal, but I retain my right to feel that it's not quite ethical.

legalities concerning the storage of Flammable and Explosives at home

ROFLMAO somethings over rule stupid laws.

As to those of us who have "stocked up" lets talk .22 ammo. I have ammo I bought in 1980 still. Over time I would buy a brick or two now and then shooting what was needed for the hunting trip or trip to the range etc. As I never shot up everything I had and always bought more every once in a while I now have a BUNCH of .22 ammo. When it hits the shelf again I will go right back to buying a brick or so every once in a while. While shooting less then I buy. And my inventory will again increase.

I will never sell any ammo heck I even have ammo for calibers and firearms I have never owned. Stuff that just found its way here over the last 40 years. Who knows someday I maybe walking along the edge of a pond and find a .35 Remington just laying there on the bank where it washed up and need some ammo to test it out after cleaning it up LOL.

Same with Primers and Powder and Ball I buy when I find stuff at a price I can afford.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads