JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering, what is the proper way to store primers? Out in the open ok? I figure if they put it out in the open in the stores, it should be ok. I also saw some pictures of other peoples reloading rooms, and I've seen the primers out in the open too. Or, I shouldn't worry too much???

How long are you storing them?

If you are reloading often and cycle though them on a shelf is perfect.

If you are actually "storing" them ammo can works nice.

In either case in area's free from dirt, water, heat, major temperature is best.

I keep some of mine in drawers, in a roll away tool box, that is kept in my reloading room (in the house)! The rest are kept in ammo cans in the same room.

The "legal way" for larger quantities is in a wooden box with min. 1" thick sides. An ammo can becomes scrapnel in a fire with bulk primers as the explosive. Please don't do this to our firemen or your family. Just food for thought. In the open or in the wooden box that the gases can easily excape out of they are more like fire crackers and pose a lot less of a threat. The wood also acts as a fire rated box that slows down heat transfer and may last through a small fire without the contents igniting at all.

:s0114:I think anyone with 2000 or more should store them of premises. I have a good place for them. It is cool and dry. Fire proof also.:s0114:

The "legal way" for larger quantities is in a wooden box with min. 1" thick sides. An ammo can becomes scrapnel in a fire with bulk primers as the explosive. Please don't do this to our firemen or your family. Just food for thought. In the open or in the wooden box that the gases can easily excape out of they are more like fire crackers and pose a lot less of a threat. The wood also acts as a fire rated box that slows down heat transfer and may last through a small fire without the contents igniting at all.

Here in Washington we don't have to resort to the "Magazine" storage until we have more than 10,000 primers.

As one old time shooter, and retired fireman, told me a couple of weeks ago, "nobody checks and I've never had FEWER than 10,000 primers in storage.

Common sense should be applied.

BTW, I have this real nice large military metal box that says "Fuses". If it's good enough for the Military to store the highly explosive fuses in it, why not primers?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top