JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never had any concerns about sticking to the tried and tested formula - large centre-fire calibres get large rifle primers. Check.

Small centre-fire calibres get small rifle primers. Check.

Seems to work for me.

Why make things complicated [and costy]?

I've never had any concerns about sticking to the tried and tested formula - large centre-fire calibres get large rifle primers. Check.

Small centre-fire calibres get small rifle primers. Check.

Seems to work for me.

Why make things complicated [and costy]?
Yea, I can see it if you're tightly managing your brass and there's an appreciable benefit in something like benchrest but barring that, nah.

Can anyone tell me does a smaller primer pocket translate to a smaller flash hole as well? Or is it just the primer pocket thats different?
I just did a 'random' check of several pieces of brass (rifle and pistol), both LP and SP sizes, using a decapping pin as a 'gauge' and the flash holes appeared to be the same (or very close) in diameter on all brass.

Load away and do not concern yourself with it any further!

Last Edited:
My concern isnt with ammo function or performance, but rather with pierced primers in 308 with an DPMS pattern semi auto. I think it was the armalite SASS's, knights or similar that had numerous reports of peirced primers in their platform.
The solution was a small dia firing pin. Im wondering if one or the other sizes will be less likely to flow into the firing pin hole. Should be the SFP obviously.

I guess theres only one way to find out.
I do have a more "spare" LRP's than i do the smalls. Those are pretty much all marked for use. But might be worth testing a few just for curiosity sake.
Was supposed to hit the range today but didnt get a lick of sleep, Hopefully tomorrow. I have some Factory 762 149, and 180 308, as well as some white box m118 I'll feed her. I'm betting the winch. 308 is made more for "bolt gun" pressures. I may have to test both the large firing pin bolt face and the small with it. I should get some chrono data as well for reference. If i dont forget to hit record that is πŸ˜’

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top