Buster Beaver Cerakote
Low Price Guns
Simply Triggers
Gun Deals
Defensive Arts
Sporting Systems

NobullSKS

Reactions
Researching.308 brass before a rifle purchase..... hopefully it will fall through.

Midway has .308 brass with selection of small or large primer pocket size.... the LRP are sold out; so that’s what I probably need

Can someone break down the difference, in terms for a dummy.... me....?

BigDog67

Reactions
What I tell her is, "If you want to come out and stand on the road/street and put up with the driving public, THEN you can tell me what I spend my money on." It usually doesn't go beyond that. :D

DizzyJ

Reactions
Learned something new here. Never heard of small primer 308 before.

I use small rifle primer in 6.5 Creed, so it seems plausible.

BigDog67

Reactions
Seems REALLY stupid to me, but I'm just a hunter with 60+ animals in the last 43 years. WTF do I know about primers?????? :confused:

thorborg

Reactions
I could just as easy use large or small primers.
But...
Mixing primer pocket sizes for the same brass requires too much attention to details that one just doesn't need worry about.:confused:
I went down that road with the 45, ultimately labeling it as Irritating and stupid. :mad:
As 99% of my brass were large primers, I gave away the few hundred 45acp small pistol primer brass I had. ;)
I hope God forgives me for screwing with the other guy's life.:rolleyes:

BigDog67

Reactions
I keep the small primer .45, but I have Blazer boxes to keep it in. When I shoot, I shoot all one size or the other NO MIXING. But I don't need that with my rifle brass. .223=SRP, everything else=LRP/LRMP.

NobullSKS

Reactions
So you don't want the rifle but you're still researching brass? o_O Do please explain...
Well good news on that...... I was waiting to confirm logistics with seller. Turns out the seller provided me a wrong telephone number in private message after short PM here. Ooooop. Someone got a boarder line impatient text message. Suppose to meet and start transfer Sunday. Woohoo

NobullSKS

Reactions
I wondered about that as well. I guessed he meant GOES through.
There was some confusion in contact with seller here. Good news.... was able to get to an agreement and starting transfer Sunday. Woohoo
Found everything I need on the shelf at local shop in Renton. Everything but dies. I’m gonna have to be patient on that one..... but was able to get 200 LRP and powder. Good shop

Reactions
Remington made 308 Win. brass with small rifle primer available in the 80'S to accommodate match shooters, and cases to form 22BR, 6mmBR, and 7mmBR cartridges for "New" XP100 Pistol, before they actually provided factory formed brass (spp). Large rifle primers are most common in 308Win

ma96782

Reactions
IMHO......

Get the brass made for the Large Rifle Primers. I've never tried brass for a .308 Win in small rifle primers. BUT....knowing the confusion that it could cause. WELL...just like with the .45 ACP brass.....IMHO, stick with the "standard" (large primers).

As for what primers (if you've decided to go with Large)?

Well, now you should be doing research as to what powder you will be using and what the books says is appropriate with that combination. Hint: Just like with some women.....some powders prefer magnum.;)

Aloha, Mark

Southwest Firearms Forum
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Cerberus Training Group
Sporting Systems
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Project Appleseed
NW Custom Firearms
Copeland Custom Gunworks

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Top Bottom