JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Researching.308 brass before a rifle purchase..... hopefully it will fall through.

Midway has .308 brass with selection of small or large primer pocket size.... the LRP are sold out; so that's what I probably need

Can someone break down the difference, in terms for a dummy.... me....?

I have never seen SP .308. Not saying it doesn't exist, just never seen any. I have seen SP 6.5, apparently some believe they get "better" ignition from small primers. :confused: I would avoid it just to keep things simpler.

What I tell her is, "If you want to come out and stand on the road/street and put up with the driving public, THEN you can tell me what I spend my money on." It usually doesn't go beyond that. :D

Learned something new here. Never heard of small primer 308 before.

I use small rifle primer in 6.5 Creed, so it seems plausible.

I could just as easy use large or small primers.
But...
Mixing primer pocket sizes for the same brass requires too much attention to details that one just doesn't need worry about.:confused:
I went down that road with the 45, ultimately labeling it as Irritating and stupid. :mad:
As 99% of my brass were large primers, I gave away the few hundred 45acp small pistol primer brass I had. ;)
I hope God forgives me for screwing with the other guy's life.:rolleyes:

I keep the small primer .45, but I have Blazer boxes to keep it in. When I shoot, I shoot all one size or the other NO MIXING. But I don't need that with my rifle brass. .223=SRP, everything else=LRP/LRMP.

So you don't want the rifle but you're still researching brass? o_O Do please explain...
Well good news on that...... I was waiting to confirm logistics with seller. Turns out the seller provided me a wrong telephone number in private message after short PM here. Ooooop. Someone got a boarder line impatient text message. Suppose to meet and start transfer Sunday. Woohoo

I wondered about that as well. I guessed he meant GOES through.
There was some confusion in contact with seller here. Good news.... was able to get to an agreement and starting transfer Sunday. Woohoo
Found everything I need on the shelf at local shop in Renton. Everything but dies. I'm gonna have to be patient on that one..... but was able to get 200 LRP and powder. Good shop

Remington made 308 Win. brass with small rifle primer available in the 80'S to accommodate match shooters, and cases to form 22BR, 6mmBR, and 7mmBR cartridges for "New" XP100 Pistol, before they actually provided factory formed brass (spp). Large rifle primers are most common in 308Win

IMHO......

Get the brass made for the Large Rifle Primers. I've never tried brass for a .308 Win in small rifle primers. BUT....knowing the confusion that it could cause. WELL...just like with the .45 ACP brass.....IMHO, stick with the "standard" (large primers).

As for what primers (if you've decided to go with Large)?

Well, now you should be doing research as to what powder you will be using and what the books says is appropriate with that combination. Hint: Just like with some women.....some powders prefer magnum.;)

Aloha, Mark

Gotta jolt this thread back to life; "CLEAR!"

The reason I was looking for answers to this question was specific to AR10 and similar platforms. I've heard more than one person say they get pierced primers and large craters with large primers in large frame semi auto's with the "un modified" or "common" firing pins.
I specifically bought the small firing pin toolcraft bolts for mine because ive heard so many times the large FP is what I heard the root cause of the problem is. Now its getting time to buy brass for the 6.5cm soon (i already have a decent amount of .308 brass large primer) and I wanted to make sure I start off on the right foot, with good solid info.
I also have a large FP and matching bolt face to go with just 'cuase the cards happen to fall that way. So I should be able to go whatever way is best fairly safe.
I was currently thinking 308 LRP and 6.5CM SRP. To try and get those little buggers out there pretty quick.
From the article maybe I'll try and find a good single base powder or a really good temp stable double base.
thinking about splurging for the premium brass for this. Idk.. Probably just get quite a bit chewed up from the semi auto action.
-and I'm rambling-

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews