JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was on our way to the shrimp shack in anacortes and decided to call up a couple of gun shops for primers and found out north sound had primers so we decided to stopped by but as we were checking out I realized the prices was 130$ per brick! I returned the primers obviously but the guy up front said all primers prices are sky high now and they buy at 90$ a brick? Do you think that's believable?

20210501_122631.jpg

The last primers I bought wholesale a month a go were $32.00/1000 delivered to my door. Presumably a gun shop could buy from the same places I do so I would say he is being extra proud of his stock.

Edited to add: that price is about $5.00/1000 more over what I paid last year. So yes a price increase but not double or triple like some would like you the believe.

Last Edited:
It's bad enough when pricing from individuals is what the market will bear, when a retailer does it, well, I'd be finding a new retailer.

Sportsman's Warehouse and Bi-Mart have pretty much held the line on pricing... I support those who support their customer base...

My observation is that while the price of primers has come down from the peak highs on sites like Gunbroker compared to six months ago, they still remain much higher than previously... I literally have not seen a small pistol or small rifle primer on the shelf of a retail store in almost a year. I think when someone here mentions there are primers in a store near them, it is more the exception than the rule.
Kind of like finding something at a yardsale or thrift store at a cheaper price than it can usually be bought.

I haven't seen primers under $100/1000 in about a year. Prices are up compared to a year ago but seem to be trending lower
then a couple months ago but I haven't seen much stock available online or in stores. Then again I don't have infinite time to call around and drive from store to store for 200 primers at a time.
It saves a lot of time and hassle just paying extra to pick up a brick of what I need.

Ymmv

Best guess if, and that's a big IF, they were telling you the truth they bought them from any of the places we all can buy them from right now. Nothing is ever "gone", it's just how much are people willing to pay. They could also be seeing what some are willing to pay and figured they would make some cash while they could.

MIdwayUSA recently discontinued selling primers by the case. Now the only option is 1k bricks and they list for $75 to $85 per 1k, depending on which primer. Add shipping and hazmat and you're over $100/brick.

I'm not sure why CCI lists prices on their web site, but they are now listed for $6 to $11 per hundred.

I'm afraid this may be the new normal.

MIdwayUSA recently discontinued selling primers by the case. Now the only option is 1k bricks and they list for $75 to $85 per 1k, depending on which primer. Add shipping and hazmat and you're over $100/brick.

I'm not sure why CCI lists prices on their web site, but they are now listed for $6 to $11 per hundred.

I'm afraid this may be the new normal.
This is far from the first time this has happened. Memories are amazingly short. The sky is not falling. Price goes back to normal and everyone ignores them again until the next panic:s0092:

Buddy of mine went to the Hillsboro gun show yesterday and picked up 500 for $20/100 - told him that was a steal :)
Another buddy lucked out at Sportsman's on Friday $38/1000.
I got all mine last year also at Sprtsman's for $23/1000 - wonder if they'll ever be at that price again...

Buddy of mine went to the Hillsboro gun show yesterday and picked up 500 for $20/100 - told him that was a steal :)
I got all mine last year also at Sprtsman's for $23/1000 - wonder if they'll ever be at that price again...
Yes they will. There is inflation of course but, so few have memory that lasts long they keep panic going. Just before this last great panic got going again places like Midway often sent me flyer's that they were willing to eat the Haz-Mat charge to get people to order from them. Of course when this was going on most ignored them. Just like the multiple times in the past. Yes they will be "normal price" again after they manufacturer's can catch up. Just as with ammo there is literally tons of the damn things in the supply line right now being held by people watching the market making bucks off them while they can. When price starts to drop a lot and I do mean a LOT get dumped onto the market, just like always.

Seen primers as high as $250/1000 at the show. And powder going for $75/lb. Things are a bit crazy.

Seen primers as high as $250/1000 at the show. And powder going for $75/lb. Things are a bit crazy.
A few times someone at work has asked me about ammo, powder, primers and such. I just open Gun Broker and show them, here lots of it to buy. They of course freak out when they see the price. I just shrug and say remember this when they are all over the shelves again and no one wants them. This is not the first, will not be the last. :cool:
One co worker has an OLD .22short pistol. She asked me about that ammo when this was just getting started since another family member had one too. SG still had CCI by the case at normal price but you had to buy a case. I told her we are ready to have another panic shortage, buy the case. She asked a couple more times not sure, then pulled the trigger and bought the case. She still brings that up now and then laughing and thanking me for getting her to just buy the case. :cool:

Do Californians have to buy powder & primers thru a dealer like ammunition? If so, have dealers increased their fees for such?
No FFL required for primers or powder. One of the LGS's were selling primers for $150/k which was akin to rape at 5x, but that's what the market would bear. Same seller sold powder for a dollar or so more than what it was two years ago so there's that.

We do have to use a FFL to buy ammunition which acts like another recessive tax.

No FFL required for primers or powder. One of the LGS's were selling primers for $150/k which was akin to rape at 5x, but that's what the market would bear. Same seller sold powder for a dollar or so more than what it was two years ago so there's that.

We do have to use a FFL to buy ammunition which acts like another recessive tax.
Many just don't remember it or were too young but, all of us in all states not long ago had to do it that way. One of the few times I have seen a gun law that went our way. Many places are trying to bring this back so we can no longer order ammo. Sadly way too many gun owners pay zero attention and as the law changes many will have no idea it happened until they go to buy and "find out". They who ignored it will then get mad that someone else did not do something while they slept. :mad:

Many just don't remember it or were too young but, all of us in all states not long ago had to do it that way. One of the few times I have seen a gun law that went our way. Many places are trying to bring this back so we can no longer order ammo. Sadly way too many gun owners pay zero attention and as the law changes many will have no idea it happened until they go to buy and "find out". They who ignored it will then get mad that someone else did not do something while they slept. :mad:

Had heard of such nationally, however was before our time in the shooting sports.

The Anti-2A folks would love to get another national version of such going tho for sure. Sadly.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top