JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some brass for 6.5 creedmoor, 300aac, and 5.56 that is essentially good re-useable brass except the primers almost fall out.

Does anyone know of a tool to shrink (AKA tighten) the primer pockets?

They are trash unfortunately.

I recall reading, way long time ago, about a guy that reamed small primer pockets to house large primers to save some of them.

Your case though, your probably SOL.

You might be able to try swaging them? It might stage the material back? I don't know, I've only used my swaging set to remove crimps, but the die does push from inside the case as well as from the primer hole so it could work theoretically.

I've had that happen too, that's why I'm asking. It seems such a waste to discard good brass if the pocket can be fixed.

Maybe I'll have to invent something and make millions selling it to RCBS!

trashed, how many reloads on the brass ? if only 2-4 reloads you or someone needs to back down on the powder atleast a few tenths of a grain. ive got brass with over 10 reloadings that still have plenty tight pockets, and obviously a few brass with loosing pockets from looking for the top end of a load when developing that new load or bullet combo. other things to look for causing pressure spikes are crimps, dont use them unless you HAVE to. case stretch causing end of brass to self crimp in the end of the chamber, winter developed load shot in summer heat with temp sensitive powders etc . hoping your brass has that 6 to 10 reloadings before experiencing loose pockets..

You walk a fine line between a loose primer pocket and headspace separation.

How's your case head? Is it showing signs of being stretched yet?

Either way, IMO; time to recycle that brass.

It can be done. I remember reading about a tool made to do exactly that, but I don't remember the name. I made my own tool once, used with the RCBS primer pocket swager. My purpose was in converting Berdan brass to Boxer.

To be honest, it was so much trouble, and so problematic, that for the most part I gave up and just scrap anything like that now. I have to agree with the other posters; if the primer pockets are getting loose prematurely then something is wrong. Unless you just really like to tinker and take the time to understand and do it safely, you're better off scrapping that brass.

They do make pocket tighteners for .224 Valkyrie. I would think they do for other calibers as well. The Valkyrie uses a small rifle primer. I don't see why it wouldn't work on other small primer brass. Additionally, some primers are a tighter fit than others. You may have to try a few, but I can tell you from experience they're not all the exact same size!

Stop loading them so hot and your brass will last longer. There's really no need to load so hot as it's rarely you're most accurate load.

as mentioned above about the only thing you could try is a different primer brand, they do vary .001 to .002 and sometimes more diameter wise between brands , and some are harder and thicker then others, Ive found that winchester large rifles primers are slightly smaller and much softer compared to a cci 200 or br2, and from there some of the import primers like wolff and tula are a tad bigger yet.

Last Edited:
There's right way, wrong way and bubba's way...

That is one way of doing it, however crude. I've done essentially the same thing using a modified RCBS tool to convert surplus 8x56R brass to Boxer primed, for use with light cast bullet loads. It does work, but in my opinion not worth the hassle, especially now that 8x56R boxer brass is available.

For common calibers and readily available brass? Definitely not worth it to me. Done right it's not really a dangerous thing, but when a primer leaks it's likely to etch the bolt face and blow crud into the action and your face.

Edzz said J-B weld. Not really a joke. If I feel a really loose primmer going in, I pitch the brass. But, if the primmer goes in with an easy pull I remove it and clean the pock well and put a dab of red lock-tite on it. It works. I have removed these primers after firing, and their still glued strongly in place.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top