JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just today I loaded my first rounds ever. I'm laddering a 40-minor load using 155gr plated bullets on a 1.125" OAL and 3.4-4.4 grains of Titegroup. I'm just saying this to lay the groundwork that I'm a total newb!

Two primer questions about Dillon presses in general (I am using a Square Deal B)

1) Turn off the primer system? When working on changing the powder measure, and going up and down with cases to draw powder throws to measure, is there any way of "turning off" the primer system? Can I make it so it doesn't send a primer onto the ram? Today I just let it keep that primer on the ram as I was using that stage to just fine-tune the powder measure. I would have preferred to turn off the system so it wouldn't place a primer onto the ram at all. Is this possible without emptying the tube?

2) When done for the night? When closing up shop for the night, without having used up all of your primers in the tube, and when there is still one sitting there on the ram ready to go, what do you do with that last primer? I plan on doing more loading tomorrow so I just put a black sock over the powder, but there is that last primer sitting there (as well as another 50-60 in the tube). Should I put that last one back in the top, or just let it sit? It's just overnight. Do y'all leave primers in the tube for any length of time?

I'm not running a Dillon, but I usually load until I run dry on primers. I worry about getting contaniments (even just finger oil) on primers. Powder I let sit over night, but I usually let the primers tell me when to stop.... but that's just me.

1) Not that I know of. Not really any harm in having it there is there??
2) I have left primers in the machine for several days at a time with no ill effects. It's not like the primer trays are sealed any better than the tube on the machine. My machines are in the house, so they aren't subject to temperature swings and rapid humidity changes.

Your cat is going to get its head under that sock and eat that primer.. they are so tasty!

lol, sounds like you're doing it right, that primer sitting there and powder in the hopper overnight won't hurt anything.
Someone else mentioned contaminating primers. I too am super careful with having clean hands and keeping primers away from oils and solvents.. which probably are on your press.
How do you like your press so far?

@ditchtiger I'm not sure what screw you're talking about, but I'll look for it. The goal isn't necessarily to stop it from pushing up the primer, but to keep the conveyor system (don't know all the terms yet) from bringing a fresh primer from the tube at all.

@rick benjamin I'm with you, removing the whole primer system doesn't seem like the way to go. The only issue is when I am laddering loads, which requires me to run the powder throw stage over and over, which on my press is the same stage that rams the primer. That means the whole time I'm running that process to fine-tune the powder measure there is a fresh primer on the ram right below the case I'm using. Right now I'm just being careful to not finish the up-stroke and ruin that primer.

@Certaindeaf I am loving this SDB! I can see myself adding a 550B to the family one day, though. I'd sure like the ability to do 223.

@ditchtiger I'm not sure what screw you're talking about, but I'll look for it. The goal isn't necessarily to stop it from pushing up the primer, but to keep the conveyor system (don't know all the terms yet) from bringing a fresh primer from the tube at all.
I understand what you wanted but gave poor instructions. Dug out my old manual to find part numbers for you. It's an allen headed screw below part no. 14051. That's the plastic pin that stops the primers from dropping all at once. It's the pin that you see push the spring steel flap out when you push the crank handle down. Turning that allen screw in will keep the primer cup from going under the primer feed tube.
Get it this time?

Just today I loaded my first rounds ever. I'm laddering a 40-minor load using 155gr plated bullets on a 1.125" OAL and 3.4-4.4 grains of Titegroup. I'm just saying this to lay the groundwork that I'm a total newb!

Two primer questions about Dillon presses in general (I am using a Square Deal B)

1) Turn off the primer system? When working on changing the powder measure, and going up and down with cases to draw powder throws to measure, is there any way of "turning off" the primer system? Can I make it so it doesn't send a primer onto the ram? Today I just let it keep that primer on the ram as I was using that stage to just fine-tune the powder measure. I would have preferred to turn off the system so it wouldn't place a primer onto the ram at all. Is this possible without emptying the tube?

2) When done for the night? When closing up shop for the night, without having used up all of your primers in the tube, and when there is still one sitting there on the ram ready to go, what do you do with that last primer? I plan on doing more loading tomorrow so I just put a black sock over the powder, but there is that last primer sitting there (as well as another 50-60 in the tube). Should I put that last one back in the top, or just let it sit? It's just overnight. Do y'all leave primers in the tube for any length of time?

Nope and Nope, I have been running my Dillon 550 for the last 7 years and have had zero problems with letting a primer get shuttled back and forth in the primer cup, Not a single issue there. Also along the lines of over night.. I either load until my primers are emtpy.. or if I am going to be loading within the next few weeks and loading the same primer type, then I will just leave them in there.. Some of my powder heads still have powder from a month or two ago in them, certain pistol powders like to eat the plastic more than others, but not what I use.. So I just leave it most of the time and its just fine.

I'm with tarster. I've used a 550 for 10 years, and a SDB for 30 years. Having a primer going back and forth and not being used while adjusting powder has never been an issue. But you can change the adjustment so a new primer will not drop into the cup. But then you will have to re-adjust the stop limit to make it work correctly again. It's not worth the trouble.

I'm with tarster. I've used a 550 for 10 years, and a SDB for 30 years. Having a primer going back and forth and not being used while adjusting powder has never been an issue. But you can change the adjustment so a new primer will not drop into the cup. But then you will have to re-adjust the stop limit to make it work correctly again. It's not worth the trouble.
I still haven't figured out how to actually do it, but I agree that it doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. The very first time I left a primer on there without using it, and cycling the action, I thought for sure a new primer would get knocked off the ram and a new primer would be in its place. I was afraid a primer would drop to the floor on every pull. I was glad to discover that a fresh primer doesn't get dispensed until the primer on the ram is used.

I still haven't figured out how to actually do it, but I agree that it doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. The very first time I left a primer on there without using it, and cycling the action, I thought for sure a new primer would get knocked off the ram and a new primer would be in its place. I was afraid a primer would drop to the floor on every pull. I was glad to discover that a fresh primer doesn't get dispensed until the primer on the ram is used.

Yep, that little white stick moves out of the way when the cup come to the full back position, and then come back forward thanks to the flat piece of spring steel behind it, and since there is a primer in the cup already, the primer in the tube has no where to go so it stays partially captured in the tube until the little white stick push it ever so slightly back into the tube.

As long as I've got some knowledgeable folks watching this thread, I noticed that I had a bit of a primer problem. A few times out of 100 rounds loaded yesterday the primer ram stayed back and didn't end up extending all the way under plate. It happened to be during those times I was working up a powder charge. Did that happen because of a short stroke? I guess it also happened a couple other times (no primer in the case and some powder coming out of the case). Is there something I should look into, or just be more careful about full strokes?

Wow, that sounded weird...

As long as I've got some knowledgeable folks watching this thread, I noticed that I had a bit of a primer problem. A few times out of 100 rounds loaded yesterday the primer ram stayed back and didn't end up extending all the way under plate. It happened to be during those times I was working up a powder charge. Did that happen because of a short stroke? I guess it also happened a couple other times (no primer in the case and some powder coming out of the case). Is there something I should look into, or just be more careful about full strokes?

Lol don't get dirty now.. make sure you always run the ram fully in each direction, even when just setting cases up, you may also have to tighten the spring up on the primer bar, I just pulled the spring alittle tighter and and put the stub that it is normally attached to in between some coils and it works alot better for me also.

Take the primer system (2-screws) apart and clean it. It is especially needed
after spilling any powder. I have also smoothed up the bottom of the primer
slide with a stone. :rolleyes: +25 years experience with my 550.:eek:

Chris,
I have been using two SDB presses for more than 30 years so let me offer some hints. Your press was not designed to have a primer "shut-off". Adjusting the primer cup stop will only result in headaches trying to realign the desired adjustment. Leave your powder measure EMPTY while adjusting your tooling to achieve the desired case mouth bell. Once your tooling is adjusted, remove the measure from the press. Fill it 2/3 full and begin dumping charges, weighing and adjusting until you're at the charge weight you want, and then replace the measure onto your press. Additionally, I drop 10 charges into the scale pan and check weight. Divide the total by ten. Adjust if needed. For each adjustment I discard two or three dumps and then weigh ten more charges (dividing the total by 10) to get an accurate average dropped charge. This has worked well for me for many years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top