JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, the military requires primers to be staked/crimped in, to avoid them backing out. So when we reload the cases we ream or swage out the pockets. My question is, does anybody ever worry about them "backing out" in your reloads? It's not an issue with my bolt rifles, but what about your SAs?

So, the military requires primers to be staked/crimped in, to avoid them backing out. So when we reload the cases we ream or swage out the pockets. My question is, does anybody ever worry about them "backing out" in your reloads? It's not an issue with my bolt rifles, but what about your SAs?
I do not.

My judgement comes during seating of the primer. If there's almost zero resistance to seating the primer, that case needs to go.

Never been an issue for me shooting semi auto gas guns. Using ammo loaded to GI pressure specs. But then again, look at the leaf springs under the older GI trucks, like deuce and a half and five ton. Over-engineered, as a practical matter would never be subjected to loading they were spec'd for. Just the army way of being ready for anything.

Maybe ask someone who shoots reloads in full auto. Would it be a consideration under those circumstances? I don't know that one. The only MG's I've fired were done with pre-paid factory ammo.

On occasion I've noticed some backing out to the bolt face. Not flatting out thou, so I don't worry too much. Not every primer either, only really "hot" loads in my AR's when testing for new loads. Regular loadings of 25 grs of H335, CCI # 450 primers and 55 gr. bullets, no movement.

Never had a primer back out. I've had some loose primer pockets but nothing has come out.

I have only been reloading for about a year and I bought 2100 once fired Lake City 5.56 and went through the process of removing the primer crimp. As you know there are multiple ways to remove the crimp, swaging, case prep machine, drill bit, etc.
I have watched YouTube videos where the individual used a hand drill and quickly reamed all the primer pockets to a larger opening. While that method is quick and cheap, I am not to sure about the consistency of the finished pocket opening diameter.
I have read threads on other forums where people have mentioned they had primers fallout of reloaded military brass in semiautomatic rifles... I don't think it's common, but it can happen. I have seen some reloaders advocate for putting clear finger nail polish over the new primer. Like all things associated with reloading, common sense and safety first.

When the brass becomes worn out or the load is too hot you start popping primers. Pieces of primers end up in the trigger group of the AR causing all sorts of problems. I have had that happen as most other people I compete with. I have heard of pulling the bullets from LC ammunition and using the crimped in primers four higher pressure loads. This is what the army marksmanship unit or AMU does for their special long-range ammo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top