JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im thinking of looking into some bucket gardening this year. My ground is too rocky and dusty to really be good for growing.

Long ago I wanted some easy access to grow fresh carrots. I got a few of those huge cheap "paper" pots and filled them with a mix of potting soil and mole hills dirt. Mole hills make GREAT potting soil---it's all weed-free and pre-sifted for instant use! The paper pots were in full sun on concrete, and did need watering every day. They lasted THREE YEARS!....................elsullo

What an ignorant comment! I guess you missed all of the news features about the expanded new White House gardens and how the First Lady has been teaching gardening to local school kids and promoting gardening and fresh food nutrition to all American schools.

You mean photo-ops of being shown to do these things? Come on now that's all dog and pony shows you know that.

You mean photo-ops of being shown to do these things? Come on now that's all dog and pony shows you know that.

And what's wrong with that? The kids visit weekly to tend the gardens. It is published in all of the nation's school newspapers and shown on all of their school video updates. The kids grow the food, celebrate the harvest of their labors, and ENJOY the tasty food and the empowerment they feel. If that is a "show" then I call it a good one!

You probably prefer the style of Ronald Reagan, who spent a huge amount of taxpayer money to REMOVE the perfectly functional solar water heating system from the White House roof. That system was installed by President Jimmy Carter and worked perfectly well during his term, but of course it was a "dog-and-pony-show" about the utility of solar energy for oil import reduction. Reagan's First Lady was busy doing astrology and redesigning the china and silverware.

I prefer the style of Mrs. Obama and what she has to teach the nation about gardening............................elsullo

Setting an example. Raising awareness. Will that garden do anything to alleviate hunger among the poor? No. Was it intended to? No. It's called "role-modeling." I admired Laura Bush for reading regularly to kids. Was she putting a dent in illiteracy by doing that? No, but she was modeling behavior. Good for Laura Bush. Good for Michelle Obama.

Arguing over politics aside, the Food Safety Act is just like a lot of other legislation: poorly crafted for it's nominal intent, but prefectly crafted to expand the role of the government in private business. Whether by intent or not, the rules can be interpreted to cover personal gardens, and small businesses. Small businesses ALWAYS suffer when further regulatory burden is imposed. They simply don't have the margins or manpower to jump through unnecessary hoops.

This is probably the wrong place to start tossing around "right wing" labels like it's a bad thing, lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top