JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was watching the news this morning and they were talking about this. They said some produce may triple in price. I've been wondering what will happen here in Oregon. I have some dwarf willow trees on my back deck that are already starting to bud. One hard freeze and it sets them back for quite some time.

What an incredible confluence of events we are witnessing around the world these days. Price inflation, food riots, crop failures. Truly amazing.

I would replace "incredible" with "disturbing."
We all really hang by a thread, those threads are getting thinner.

I priced clear acrylic panels for a second green house last fall at $14 and last january they are at $19!
If the .GUV controls food (like Stalin did), they control not only the current population but the next as well!

Not sure of what kind of space you have, but I have a small back yard and am considering using old railroad ties and putting in some raised veggy beds.

I would not use old railroad ties. They contain creosote that will leach into the soil. This year I plan to overhaul my raised bed system. Will likely use 2x10 fir, probably treated with linseed oil, (instead of cedar due to cost).

eat the fruits of the season. I HATE out of season tomatoes. They are rarely worth what they cost. Grow em yourself or buy locally produced products. Really, I doubt it will be a big impact on my day to day life at this point. That said, I think i will go stock up on marinara whilst its on sale and maybe load up on the canned tomato products that we use. Other than that, only tomatoes I buy are at the farmers markets. They are usually worth it. Like fresh ripe blueberries or hoods on waffles...dang we better have a good year for hoods this year.

I'd take this more seriously if the Sysco press release cited for this story (and many others just like it) all didn't point to the same <broken link removed> . To me, this press release doesn't look like those found on the <broken link removed> which all seem to follow the same format. Where's the original press release?

I would not use old railroad ties. They contain creosote...

That and, for small yards at least, you give up *so* much real estate to the border.

Someone said today's PT lumber doesn't contain CCA, but rather some copper compound w/o the arsenic. Anyone confirm that? That it's okay to use for raised beds?

My garden projects for the spring are to raise the gunnels on our current beds (I used some extra TREX luimber for the first tier last season, but it's only about 5-1/2" high, need a second tier for carrots,) build a salad table and work up some cold frames.

Tip: Slugs *love* lettuce but all but completely ignored the arugula growing next to it last season. That and arugula is also called rocket (roquette) which makes it fun to say.

MrB+
--
Working my way up to A--

Someone said today's PT lumber doesn't contain CCA, but rather some copper compound w/o the arsenic. Anyone confirm that? That it's okay to use for raised beds?

I've read that too. I am going to go with plain old fir treated with linseed oil because the cost is less than the alternatives, and it should last for many years. I've also considered using no beds at all (like everyone did in the "old days," and certainly cheaper), but I like how raised beds are, er, raised.

I would not use old railroad ties. They contain creosote that will leach into the soil. This year I plan to overhaul my raised bed system. Will likely use 2x10 fir, probably treated with linseed oil, (instead of cedar due to cost).

+1 - Creosote is very bad stuff. I used cedar fence board, it is pretty cheap stuff if you look around. Doesn't rot as quick as most other woods. I have heard that some plants don't like cedar very much, but so far everything I've planted has done fine.

I priced clear acrylic panels for a second green house last fall at $14 and last january they are at $19!
If the .GUV controls food (like Stalin did), they control not only the current population but the next as well!

Look into a "hoop house" greenhouse. I have built a few of these. They are the absolute cheapest way to build a large greenhouse. The frame is 1 3/8" steel (top rail from chain link fence), so it won't collapse under snow load or decay like PVC. I used UV rated poly sheeting instead of cheap plastic, so the the greenhouse should last about 4 years between replacing the film. I've built a 16x32 and a 20x40, both for under $1,000.00 each complete ready to plant.

Cheap-Homemade-Greenhouse-Quick-Hoop-House-Bender

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads