Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

prices to skyrocket

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Just Jim, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I was watching the news this morning and they were talking about this. They said some produce may triple in price. I've been wondering what will happen here in Oregon. I have some dwarf willow trees on my back deck that are already starting to bud. One hard freeze and it sets them back for quite some time.

3. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

What an incredible confluence of events we are witnessing around the world these days. Price inflation, food riots, crop failures. Truly amazing.

4. nubus

nubus Guest

I would replace "incredible" with "disturbing."
    We all really hang by a thread, those threads are getting thinner.

5. EZLivin

Yes.

6. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Time to get some seeds and plant a garden!

-d

7. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

Im thinking of looking into some bucket gardening this year. My ground is too rocky and dusty to really be good for growing.

8. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Not sure of what kind of space you have, but I have a small back yard and am considering using old railroad ties and putting in some raised veggy beds.

9. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

raised beds would be better than buckets. Here in the valley you have to water the buckets twice a day.

10. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

I priced clear acrylic panels for a second green house last fall at $14 and last january they are at $19!
    If the .GUV controls food (like Stalin did), they control not only the current population but the next as well!

11. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

12. EZLivin

I would not use old railroad ties. They contain creosote that will leach into the soil. This year I plan to overhaul my raised bed system. Will likely use 2x10 fir, probably treated with linseed oil, (instead of cedar due to cost).

13. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

eat the fruits of the season. I HATE out of season tomatoes. They are rarely worth what they cost. Grow em yourself or buy locally produced products. Really, I doubt it will be a big impact on my day to day life at this point. That said, I think i will go stock up on marinara whilst its on sale and maybe load up on the canned tomato products that we use. Other than that, only tomatoes I buy are at the farmers markets. They are usually worth it. Like fresh ripe blueberries or hoods on waffles...dang we better have a good year for hoods this year.

14. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I'd take this more seriously if the Sysco press release cited for this story (and many others just like it) all didn't point to the same Steve Quayle website. To me, this press release doesn't look like those found on the Sysco website which all seem to follow the same format. Where's the original press release?

15. EZLivin

Really? Quayle... :bluelaugh:

16. MrB+

MrB+ Portland area Member

That and, for small yards at least, you give up *so* much real estate to the border.

Someone said today's PT lumber doesn't contain CCA, but rather some copper compound w/o the arsenic. Anyone confirm that? That it's okay to use for raised beds?

My garden projects for the spring are to raise the gunnels on our current beds (I used some extra TREX luimber for the first tier last season, but it's only about 5-1/2" high, need a second tier for carrots,) build a salad table and work up some cold frames.

Tip: Slugs *love* lettuce but all but completely ignored the arugula growing next to it last season. That and arugula is also called rocket (roquette) which makes it fun to say.

MrB+
    --
    Working my way up to A--

17. EZLivin

I've read that too. I am going to go with plain old fir treated with linseed oil because the cost is less than the alternatives, and it should last for many years. I've also considered using no beds at all (like everyone did in the "old days," and certainly cheaper), but I like how raised beds are, er, raised.

18. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

+1 - Creosote is very bad stuff. I used cedar fence board, it is pretty cheap stuff if you look around. Doesn't rot as quick as most other woods. I have heard that some plants don't like cedar very much, but so far everything I've planted has done fine.

19. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

Look into a "hoop house" greenhouse. I have built a few of these. They are the absolute cheapest way to build a large greenhouse. The frame is 1 3/8" steel (top rail from chain link fence), so it won't collapse under snow load or decay like PVC. I used UV rated poly sheeting instead of cheap plastic, so the the greenhouse should last about 4 years between replacing the film. I've built a 16x32 and a 20x40, both for under $1,000.00 each complete ready to plant.

Cheap-Homemade-Greenhouse-Quick-Hoop-House-Bender

20. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Oh but wait...Obama says it's not safe enough to grow your own food.