JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Around hunting camp this year hunters chatted about the fine for shooting a Wolf. They are a listed endangered species in OR and it was said the fine was 100K plus loss of rifle, vehicle and maybe time in the slammer.

Sounds pretty stiff to me, anyone know the facts??

Cheaper than a fine

<broken link removed>

This is from the ODF&W http://www.dfw.state.or.us/Wolves/faq.asp

Except in defense of human life, it is unlawful to shoot a wolf. Doing so is a violation of Oregon state game law, with fines and penalties assessed by a court. The violation would be a Class A misdemeanor, with a maximum penalty of a $6,250 fine and confinement to the county jail for one year. West of Hwys 395-78-95, wolves are also protected by the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA). Killing an animal protected under the federal ESA is punishable by a fine of up to $100,000, one year in jail, or both.

Did you read that page!

First :In cases where livestock losses occur and non-lethal efforts to resolve the problem are deemed ineffective, ODFW can also provide "caught in the act" permits. These allow ranchers to shoot a wolf they catch "in the act of biting, wounding, or killing livestock" on their property or lands they lawfully occupy. Because wolves usually target livestock at night and tend to avoid people, the opportunity to use these permits is rare.
Second: "Remember, it is NOT legal to shoot at or attempt to injure or kill a wolf even if it is attacking your dog".

So if a wolf is killing your dog or cattle, hang out and watch because its illegal to harm them :rolleyes:

anyone know the facts??
Yes - an incredible waste of money and manpower for virtually no return to the economy, or anything for that matter other than maybe unreasonable legal costs for anyone who may be convicted of killing one and the resultant public service costs. Stupidity at the highest level when we have REAL problems to deal with.

Did you read that page!

First :In cases where livestock losses occur and non-lethal efforts to resolve the problem are deemed ineffective, ODFW can also provide “caught in the act” permits. These allow ranchers to shoot a wolf they catch “in the act of biting, wounding, or killing livestock” on their property or lands they lawfully occupy. Because wolves usually target livestock at night and tend to avoid people, the opportunity to use these permits is rare.
Second: "Remember, it is NOT legal to shoot at or attempt to injure or kill a wolf even if it is attacking your dog".

So if a wolf is killing your dog or cattle, hang out and watch because its illegal to harm them :rolleyes:

But officer I wasn't shooting at the wolf...I was shooting the cow...lol

But officer I wasn't shooting at the wolf...I was shooting the cow...lol

Why not? You were puting it out of it's misery and that darn wolf moved the wrong direction.
S S S is too messy. Too much chance of leaving evidence.
Through and through belly shot. Wolf runs away,way away from the bullet that went through him.Can't be good for him
And you don't get caught digging a hole in the middle of nowhere. For?
Plus I would get caught skinning it. Heck why let that cool rug go to waste?
The toof necklace wouldn't be good either

Did you read that page!

First :In cases where livestock losses occur and non-lethal efforts to resolve the problem are deemed ineffective, ODFW can also provide "caught in the act" permits. These allow ranchers to shoot a wolf they catch "in the act of biting, wounding, or killing livestock" on their property or lands they lawfully occupy. Because wolves usually target livestock at night and tend to avoid people, the opportunity to use these permits is rare.

Sorry, I have the RIGHT to protect what is mine, dog, cow, wife, kids, or myself. RCW 9A.16.110

Yes - an incredible waste of money and manpower for virtually no return to the economy, or anything for that matter other than maybe unreasonable legal costs for anyone who may be convicted of killing one and the resultant public service costs. Stupidity at the highest level when we have REAL problems to deal with.

Yes, but real problems are hard and protecting those cuddly little wolves just feels right! You know all warm and fuzzy!

Many ranchers who have lost livestock to wolves and try to get reimbursement from the feds are told something along the lines of "this looks like a coyote attack to me" (the feds don't like to keep their word when it comes time to reimburse from this program). I recall one individual who was told that his calf wasn't a wolf victim and it was obviously coyotes - when he said Oh - OK then I guess it's OK for me to shoot it/them next time they are attacking my livestock... Apparently the feds didn't like that response much and went on to say that he better not shoot a wolf, etc...

When I bought my (overpriced) Hunting license and played tag lotto
(at 8 bucks a pop) They asked if I wanted to donate to the "Predator Control Fund" She asked "How much would you like to donate?"
I replied "180 grains"
These guys have a lot of cahones asking us to pony up for what they messed up in the first place. ODFW should have taken the stand that there will no wolves in Oregon after the lessons learned in Idaho and Montana. Instead we have a major predator species here now out of control and eating what we have all paid for decades to develop.
With proper managment Oregon Could have been a destination state for Elk Hunting Like Idaho used to be. Instead we have become dog catchers.:huh:

When I bought my (overpriced) Hunting license and played tag lotto
(at 8 bucks a pop) They asked if I wanted to donate to the "Predator Control Fund" She asked "How much would you like to donate?"
I replied "180 grains"
These guys have a lot of cahones asking us to pony up for what they messed up in the first place. ODFW should have taken the stand that there will no wolves in Oregon after the lessons learned in Idaho and Montana. Instead we have a major predator species here now out of control and eating what we have all paid for decades to develop.
With proper managment Oregon Could have been a destination state for Elk Hunting Like Idaho used to be. Instead we have become dog catchers.:huh:

One (of many) reasons I refuse to play the licensing game.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top