Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Price Check

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by dmack, Apr 21, 2010.

1. dmack

dmack Central Oregon Member

Can anyone give me a idea on what a standard (original model, not g2,etc) TC Contender with a thumbhole stock and 24" Bullberry .223 barrel would be worth? Usual wear, bore looks perfect.

Sold my last contender pistol for $425, but never seen what the carbines go for.

Thanks for the help.

2. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

As an all Thompson Carbine, in .223 in good shape, dealers have them on tables at shows in the $500-550 range. (Adjust what you'd pay accordingly).
    Bullberry is amongst the best of the after-market barrels for Contenders, and those barrels come with an accuracy guarantee if the Bullberry forearm-hanging system is used. The thumbhole stock interests me, as I'm not sure that is a Thompson offering. Could be a Bullberry stock (they do wood too), or a "Fox Ridge" stock (they are sort of the "Thompson Custom Shop"- closely affiliated with Thompson).

My familiarity with Bullberry includes a 15" braked Contender barrel in their .25 Bullberry (a 30-30 necked to .25 with a sharp shoulder). Bullberry wood is a knockout on this gun, and I found their 1" or better guarantee for accuracy more than fulfilled in this pistol. A fine Pronghorn buck died with sagebrush still in his mouth, taken with this pistol at 175 yds. Another barrel from Bullberry I purchased is a 21" carbine barrel, .75" diameter (no taper) to the muzzle, chambered in the .221 Fireball. Again, the accuracy guarantee easily met.

My third Bullberry barrel is in .22WMR, also a 21" Carbine, .75" dia. The .22 Magnum is famous for not shooting extremeley accurately, and I had my doubts that Bullberry would be up to the task with this cartridge. No worries.
    I'd say the Bullberry barrel on your carbine adds at least $50, perhaps $75 to the price of an all-Thompson carbine. If the barrel only comes up for sale, I'd be an interested party.

3. dmack

dmack Central Oregon Member

I appreciate the info. And the stock is a Bishop. Here is a pic.

dscn0638.jpg

dscn0638.jpg