JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that residual oil in the chamber has potential to cause hangfire, and that firing caps will dry the chambers. But if I want to keep it loaded for a few days will the fired cap cause corrosion? Is there a oil/powder combo that i should be using? Currently have pyrodex and rem #11 caps. Thanks in advance.

Modern percussion caps are not corrosive. As noted you are removing the protective oil and leaving a bit of residue behind by firing the caps. Generally, not considered a problem as the breech should be sealed from the outside air given a properly fitted cap. Many people do this and leave the gun loaded.

If you are truly concerned the oil can be removed by flushing with some IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol not the beer). Just make sure it has evaporated completely before loading.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the caps. I am still pretty new to this and i made the mistake of putting it up dirty once already.

A shotgunning friend of mine, as a youngster, made the mistake of putting a gun away uncleaned after a day's outing on a rough shoot. When his dad found out the next day, he made him walk around for the rest of the entire season with an empty gun.

Load 'em.

Shoot 'em.

Clean 'em.

Right there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews