JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think she was being sanctimonious. Just trying to warn anyone who considers doing this that they could be liable for civil and/or criminal penalties if someone (even a trespasser) is hurt as a result. Even if you escape penalty, be prepared to spend $$$ on your defense.

"...a property owner cannot intentionally take actions to cause harm to trespassers, such as setting traps on the premises."

Wow. I just made somebody's ignore list. Sorry (not sorry), but a bad idea is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

I made a trip wire pepper spray device that hits you/them in the face. It gets them/me outside and away. With multiple set up nothing is safe to move or walk around.

Arakboss,

What have you decided to with your place? It is feasible to bar/block the windows? I have retractable shutters on most of my windows and while they are meant for shade, they do provide security. I guess bars on windows and good commercial locks, and door reinforcements would be a basic start.

If they can't get in, they will move on to the next place right?

I made a trip wire pepper spray device that hits you/them in the face. It gets them/me outside and away. With multiple set up nothing is safe to move or walk around.
Sweet! I like those 12 gauge trip alarms because you can put whatever you want in the shell.

I always thought an ampule of skunk oil in the shell would be good to hook up to a package for package thieves. Maybe one shell on each side for maximum effect. :p

That stuff is potent. I have an unopened bottle wrapped in plastic wrap, inside a ziploc, inside a glass container with metal lid and I can catch a faint whiff of it even through all of that now that it's been in there for months.

Arakboss,

What have you decided to with your place? It is feasible to bar/block the windows? I have retractable shutters on most of my windows and while they are meant for shade, they do provide security. I guess bars on windows and good commercial locks, and door reinforcements would be a basic start.

If they can't get in, they will move on to the next place right?
I am pretty sure the SOB(s) would have cut a hole in the wall to get in my place Sunday night. They had lots of time to defeat any measures I could come up with. A loud siren alarm that they can't turn off might cause them to spend less time there.

I would be interested in a siren alarm system that was remote operated. If you are good with electronics and have ideas on how to make one on the cheap please share.

My criteria would be that it goes off once a door is opened or window is broken and can only be turned off, shut off, armed or rearmed with a remote fob. Ideally sensor to siren connection should be wireless. All power requirements should be DC.

I am thinking a car alarm might be a suitable candidate with some modifications?

Last Edited:
I don't know how I missed this thread so long, and am very sorry to hear about the break in. Just spitballing a few ideas to harden and punish without getting in trouble.

People have mentioned shotshell tripwire setups. These work great for noise making but I've seen videos where they were tested and were otherwise harmless.

Two issues with that style is that if the criminal gets injured they show intent to harm and they are also a bit larger and harder to weatherize than models that just use a shot shell primer. Even those I would suspect to be prone to humidity over time. You can buy used training grenade fuses that are easy to modify to work with a shot shell primer, the pin can be pulled via tripwire as an inexpensive solution. I would want to find a way to seal it up with a package of desiccant

Here is a quick video

I also read a reference to rigging pepper spray with a tripwire. That's worth pursuing, but you need to make sure you don't accidentally spray yourself.

It got me thinking that you can buy skunk scent. There should be a way to get this into some sort of aerosol you can also dispense via tripwire or pressure switch. I wouldn't be surpeised if there were a ready to go product out there already. Getting pepper sprayed is one thing. Smelling of skunk can result in your buddies ditching you there to fend for yourself.

A passive suggestion would be to post biohazard signs along with notice of pending destruction by fire and a warning to use level 4 personal protective equipment including face mask and sealed air supply along with proper decontamination for entry. Wouldn't cost much and you never know... Especially if you got a butcher to give you some bone portions that look suspiciously human to scatter about.

You can also plant thing with nasty thorns in strategic locations to funnel them to or away from places as you desire.

I'd also consider a tire damage device you can activate and deactivate by a discreet lever that wouldn't be obvious, perhaps looking like a cattle guard or drainage grate.

A little wilder, but security coverings for the window and some sort of hidden entrance. The obvious front door could be fake, and when they finally break through it they find a wall of cinder block. Again just spitballing and maybe too much work and money to justify itself.

Its probably illegal to post false biohazard warning signs. and any neighbor who sees it is likely to call the county health department asking what is going on, is it anthrax, bird flu, scrapie. ??? So then guys in biohazard suits show up and spend all day taking samples.

Its probably illegal to post false biohazard warning signs. and any neighbor who sees it is likely to call the county health department asking what is going on, is it anthrax, bird flu, scrapie. ??? So then guys in biohazard suits show up and spend all day taking samples.
Yup!

And the property owner would be charged with the cleanup fee, as well as any criminal infractions.

Likely 10's of thousands of dollars.

I'm talking on the building itself, not necessarily visible from the road. If it is, then simply explain to the neighbors. I can't imagine they would have an issue, especially considering the breakin,

I am going to discuss it with my neighbor but what about alternating leaving drive cable up sometimes and down other times. Leaving random yard things in different spots. Like a watering can or maybe an old rake, bird feeders, etc. This would require some labor on the neighbors part to move stuff around, refill feeders etc but might make the place look more occupied. It won't fool the perps if they live nearby but might deter some perps coming in from the highway.

Could I use a cheap driveway alarm to trigger a radio to turn on in the house?

Sweet! I like those 12 gauge trip alarms because you can put whatever you want in the shell.

I always thought an ampule of skunk oil in the shell would be good to hook up to a package for package thieves. Maybe one shell on each side for maximum effect. :p

That stuff is potent. I have an unopened bottle wrapped in plastic wrap, inside a ziploc, inside a glass container with metal lid and I can catch a faint whiff of it even through all of that now that it's been in there for months.
Oh man, that skunk oil is no joke. As kids, we used to prank with this stuff we'd get from the gag store, a little vial called Morning Breeze. Oh you did not want to be on the #4 Fessenden bus when we were getting close to our stop!

Hey, I may have missed it, but did anyone mention something like this?

I don't know much about this stuff, but it looks like it can detect and immediately alert by phone or cloud or email, something like that. They would steal the cam, but hopefully you already got some I.D. from the auto upload. Would something along those lines help?

Could I use a cheap driveway alarm to trigger a radio to turn on in the house?
Shouldn't be too hard to rig up something like that. These are sound players rather than radios, so they play whatever sounds you load on the SD card:

How about a motion activated barking dog alarm? Might be a better ruse than radio sounds in a dark house at 3am.

Of course, you will need window coverings so they can't see inside and detect that it's a fake.

Battery powered motion activated exterior security lights:

Oh man, that skunk oil is no joke. As kids, we used to prank with this stuff we'd get from the gag store, a little vial called Morning Breeze. Oh you did not want to be on the #4 Fessenden bus when we were getting close to our stop!

Hey, I may have missed it, but did anyone mention something like this?

I don't know much about this stuff, but it looks like it can detect and immediately alert by phone or cloud or email, something like that. They would steal the cam, but hopefully you already got some I.D. from the auto upload. Would something along those lines help?
He mentioned there is no cell phone signal.

But for your info, I have this system with no monthly fee or cloud storage:
jmo,

Aman,

Thanks for the information via the message.

I would completely REMOVE anything in the cabin and leave it totally empty.

I would hope that they don't destroy it some more, try to make drugs in it that can POISON YOU by having that crapola staying on the walls, burn it down, etc.

I have heard MANY horror stories about SQUATTERS that I will not go into now.

Cate

I appreciate all the product and idea suggestions, keep them coming. The ones I will most likely end up using will have to be cheap, require no AC power, no cell service, no internet, survive single digit temps and be easy to use and maintain. I am especially interested in ideas that will make the place look occupied without having to have a body there. I don't want to overburden my neighbor either so low maintenance solutions are better.

For now I am going to avoid solutions that are intended to cause death or injury to the intruder unless I am in fear for my safety

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top