JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Sergeant from the Sheriff's office did call me back today. He gave me an event number and asked me to put together a detailed as possible list of what was taken with $ values. Once I provide him the list, he will open up a case. I am going to start looking through craigslist ads, my neighbor will check facebook marketplace. We have a connection at a local pawnshop so we will ask them to look out for stuff on my list. The sooner I can get down there the better.

I honestly don't expect to get any items back but you never know.

images.jpeg-128.jpg

So, you have bears out at your cabin right? *wink wink*. Go buy a few of the big bear traps...you know, the ones that cost about $300 a peice. Bury them under the soil about a half inch around some of your doors. (Pro tip- Dont forget where they are at!) Near where you put the traps, use a post hole digger and dig down about 3 feet. Pour some concrete in there with a peice of 2" rebar in the middle sticking up about 2 inches above the ground.. Connect a unnoticeable rusty chain to the bear trap and weld both sides. Whoever steps in that will have a shattered leg immediatebly and wont be going anywhere while slowly bleeding to death. It may just be that bear you wanted....or a tresspasser who shouldn't have been there to begin with.
You are probably at least equally likely to murder some little kid just like I was. Some kid who never stole or vandalized or broke into anything, but who, from the age of five up did explore every bit of woods or swamp or pond that was within walking or biking distance of anywhere I lived, whatever signs were on it. At least if no adults were currently using it.

No one knows what you're talking about.
Is this sarcasm? The birth of this nation was treason to the crown. Had American patriots not won the revolutionary war they would have all been hung for crimes against the crown.

Getting back to the OP - no way to harden an unoccupied dwelling so that people won't break in, at least reasonably anyway. Real time surveillance alerts would at least make responding to the break in a possibility.

Is this sarcasm? The birth of this nation was treason to the crown. Had American patriots not won the revolutionary war they would have all been hung for crimes against the crown.

Getting back to the OP - no way to harden an unoccupied dwelling so that people won't break in, at least reasonably anyway. Real time surveillance alerts would at least make responding to the break in a possibility.
My property is in a no mans land for cell service. I used to get 2g but they did away with that. Real time response isn't going to happen. My best bet at this point is to leave nothing they would want and make forced entry as least damaging as possible. I plan to rig up back up locking points so if neighbor discovers somebody kicked in door, she can slap a new padlock on the next set of locking points. I am thinking multiple layers of eye screws on door and frame. I will use harbor freight padlocks and supply the neighbor with extra locks. The eye screw in frame will be long and installed deep into frame. The eye screw on door will be short and installed shallow. This way if somebody kicks the door in, the eye screw in door will pop out, leaving padlock dangling on eye screw in frame. I am going to add an extra layer of plywood to exterior side of doors to help them survive being kicked in.

The neighbor checked on my place again this morning and she doesn't think the thieves came back last night. She sent me pictures and they made a heck of a mess.

My property is in a no mans land for cell service. I used to get 2g but they did away with that. Real time response isn't going to happen. My best bet at this point is to leave nothing they would want and make forced entry as least damaging as possible. I plan to rig up back up locking points so if neighbor discovers somebody kicked in door, she can slap a new padlock on the next set of locking points. I am thinking multiple layers of eye screws on door and frame. I will use harbor freight padlocks and supply the neighbor with extra locks. The eye screw in frame will be long and installed deep into frame. The eye screw on door will be short and installed shallow. This way if somebody kicks the door in, the eye screw in door will pop out, leaving padlock dangling on eye screw in frame. I am going to add an extra layer of plywood to exterior side of doors to help them survive being kicked in.

The neighbor checked on my place again this morning and she doesn't think the thieves came back last night. She sent me pictures and they made a heck of a mess.
Yep, I remember when this thread began and reading about the predicament with the lack of cell service.

Sadly, locks just keep honest people honest. Even leaving nothing of value in the place isn't a guarantee because someone might break in just to see if there is anything of value in it.

With the fear of being arrested and prosecuted, or even going to jail, at an all time low. There's not a lot of good security options for unoccupied dwellings that aren't monitored.

Isolation helps a lot, but if they've found your place and found anything there worth selling for their meth. It's only a matter of time before they are back.

Yep, I remember when this thread began and reading about the predicament with the lack of cell service.

Sadly, locks just keep honest people honest. Even leaving nothing of value in the place isn't a guarantee because someone might break in just to see if there is anything of value in it.

With the fear of being arrested and prosecuted, or even going to jail, at an all time low. There's not a lot of good security options for unoccupied dwellings that aren't monitored.
One of my old neighbors left his door unlocked. That is an option.

One of my old neighbors left his door unlocked. That is an option.
Yep, had a neighbor that did that with her car in the hopes the car wouldn't get damaged. The result was her car was rifled through about every few months, consistently. She eventually started locking it and leaving it sterile looking inside.

Different levels of security stop different levels of garbage humans. Some people are deterred by merely a locked door. Some people will break in through a locked door.

Just depends on what you are trying to prevent. There is no desirable solution, unfortunately, and that is the frustrating part, obviously.

Yep, had a neighbor that did that with her car in the hopes the car wouldn't get damaged. The result was her car was rifled through about every few months, consistently. She eventually started locking it and leaving it sterile looking inside.

Different levels of security stop different levels of garbage humans. Some people are deterred by merely a locked door. Some people will break in through a locked door.

Just depends on what you are trying to prevent. There is no desirable solution, unfortunately, and that is the frustrating part, obviously.
I have caught numerous people on my cameras that checked the doors to see if they were unlocked and then they moved on. The latest dirtbag(s) was much more determined and destructive and I won't get to see them since they grabbed my cameras. I am tempted to try one more camera and put it up about 20ft off the ground. Harbor freight sells a 17ft folding ladder that I could haul on my hitch mounted cargo carrier. $150 though.

In the context of this thread it makes zero sense.

Do you think hardening your security to the level that it would take power tools to force entry would be a deterrent? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of getting some way out there land and thought that a shipping container might be enough of a deturent at least to casual thieves.

Many Native American tribes had two major separate villages. The summer village might be somewhere they could grow corn, beans, and squash. The winter village might be somewhere ideal for winter hunting or fishing. Some of the corn, beans, and dried sliced summer squash would be hidden in secret caches in locations near their summer village site for use in spring when they returned to the summer village. Several caches so enemy tribes would be unlikely to find all of them.

Do you think hardening your security to the level that it would take power tools to force entry would be a deterrent? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of getting some way out there land and thought that a shipping container might be enough of a deturent at least to casual thieves.
Most definitely. Especially if there is a way to limit road/car access to the property. Meth heads looking for quick bucks are not tramping through the woods on foot with a diamond wheel cutoff saw.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top