JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This thread got me to thinkin' (which generally leads to stuff I shouldn't be doing) but....

Say, as mentioned earlier, I go on a 2-3 month business trip, because you know, I'm pretty much a world traveler, and a group squats in my house. When I come home and walk in, I find these arse clowns in my living room, eating my food, watching my NetFlix, crapping in my chitter and not flushing the toilet, and sitting on my Barcalounger with their shoes on....As can be imagined, I am not a happy camper, especially since my flight was an all-nighter from Bankok (not for the same reason @Stomper goes to Bankok) so a scuffle ensues. There's four of them. All really big, mean, tough dudes with chains, brass knuckles and man-buns so it's pretty much a fair fight at that point. Then one pulls out num-chuks (now, I've watched a bunch of Bruce Lee movies and I know what's coming) so I draw my CC and shoot all of them (just in the legs cuz that's what they want us to do). Police show up.....

My question......Who get's hooked up and goes to jail? Did I just protect myself in my own home, or...since these guys have started getting mail there, did I just break/enter and shoot a bunch of dudes in their home?
It depends on where you live. In my county you get a Hero pin from the Sheriff and free coffee at the cafe. But the closer you get to San Francisco.... all bets are off! DR

Toss a screwdriver on the ground after performing a Montana style eviction. Advice my buddy was given by a Montana Sheriff.
Rule number one of the Montana Style Eviction club; don't talk about Montana Style Evictions.

Or, to put it another way:

benjaminfranklin1-2x.jpg

Toss a screwdriver on the ground after performing a Montana style eviction. Advice my buddy was given by a Montana Sheriff.
Not quite where I was going with my remark which was posted.

I was thinking more along the lines of having a plan...and be willing to adapt said plan to fit the circumstances.
As well as understanding your willingness and limitations on matters.

Tossing a screwdriver or anything else on the ground....
Nope...I won't do that.

If I have to defend myself , I have, and will do so...but I will not make my decisions out to be something else.
Andy

It finally happened. My neighbor text me today and said somebody broke into my place and cleaned me out pretty good including my side entry door. She thinks they will be back soon to get the rest. Work schedule won't allow me to get down this week so damage assessment will have to wait. She said they got both my cameras. Sucky news to get.

I am hoping they didn't or don't get my plywood stash and other lumber before I get down there. If they did or do then shooting shack dream will be kaput.

I have decided from now on I am not leaving jack squat down there. It's going to make packing more of a pain but I don't want to reward the next turds that break in.

No more cameras and I am going to put paltry locks on the doors. If I still have any plywood left down there I will make a replacement entry door with that.

It sounds like they were very thorough in turning over the place.

Another thread where people entertain violently breaking the law. Super.

How about removing the door to the cabin and replacing it with chicken wire? It makes the cabin uncomfortable. Have the door well hidden nearby, remount with with hinge pins when you are using it.

How about removing the door to the cabin and replacing it with chicken wire? It makes the cabin uncomfortable. Have the door well hidden nearby, remount with with hinge pins when you are using it.
These thieves or thief were in it for the goods not for shelter. I am guessing they had a truck and trailer or made multiple trips. I wouldn't doubt it was another lesser known neighbor. My procrastionation cost me big this time as I had a spent $200 on windows and doors at Lowes on items I got for 90% off sticker price. It took me three trips with my trailer to haul that stuff down there. I should have installed everything right away and there would have been less chance of it getting taken. My neighbor did say they stole my steel side entrance door but not the frame. Another place nearby had been hit earlier this year and I was considering myself lucky. My luck ran out.

These thieves or thief were in it for the goods not for shelter. I am guessing they had a truck and trailer or made multiple trips. I wouldn't doubt it was another lesser known neighbor. My procrastionation cost me big this time as I had a spent $200 on windows and doors at Lowes on items I got for 90% off sticker price. It took me three trips with my trailer to haul that stuff down there. I should have installed everything right away and there would have been less chance of it getting taken. My neighbor did say they stole my steel side entrance door but not the frame. Another place nearby had been hit earlier this year and I was considering myself lucky. My luck ran out.
I'm sorry to read this. Pizzez me off.

Sorry for your loss. I didn't read the whole thread - my post about doors was a coincidence.

I'm sorry to read this. Pizzez me off.
It pizzez me off too but I got way to complacent and comfortable with leaving stuff there. From now on the cabin is going to be treated like a tent with a hard roof, toilet, shower and wood stove (unless they come back for those). When I pack for a cabin trip, I will take eveything I would take for a tent camping trip (minus tent) and bring all that stuff back with me. Nothing down there was super valuable by itself but it sounds like the amount of stuff they took was substantial. I will not be surprised if they come back for seconds before I can get down there.

I am glad to be busy at work but it would have been nice to just call in take a few days off and jet down there earlier today.

Very sorry to hear, Arakboss. Hoping they didn't get a chance to take too much....let us know. I'd donate some parts to raise some coin to help offset any losses.....

Very sorry to hear, Arakboss. Hoping they didn't get a chance to take too much....let us know. I'd donate some parts to raise some coin to help offset any losses.....
I appreciate that but I will be fine. Financially this isn't a big hit for me. It is more of social disappointment realizing we are all surrounded by dirtbags and there isn't much we can do about it.

My neighbor feels bad but I told her I never expected that she could prevent something like this. I value her watching over the place so squatters can't get established before I find out they're there.

So, you have bears out at your cabin right? *wink wink*. Go buy a few of the big bear traps...you know, the ones that cost about $300 a peice. Bury them under the soil about a half inch around some of your doors. (Pro tip- Dont forget where they are at!) Near where you put the traps, use a post hole digger and dig down about 3 feet. Pour some concrete in there with a peice of 2" rebar in the middle sticking up about 2 inches above the ground.. Connect a unnoticeable rusty chain to the bear trap and weld both sides. Whoever steps in that will have a shattered leg immediatebly and wont be going anywhere while slowly bleeding to death. It may just be that bear you wanted....or a tresspasser who shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Darn thats sucks. Sorry to hear it. At least they didn't squat. That recommendation by Andy above I would consider that VERY strongly. Have a plan ready to go. Around here they squat in vacant houses and it's almost impossible to get them out legally. And police say "it's a civil matter".

One time I bought a house and it was vacant while doing remodeling. The previous owner's scum son kept breaking in and trying to steal anything metal. I camped out there with a shotgun a few nights but didn't catch him. Then neighbor caught him breaking in and called sheriff. Sheriff caught him red-handed and said "there is nothing we can do, it's a civil matter". You are 100% on your own imo when it comes to squatters. The law won't touch them.

One example in Pdx of which there are tons:

People "violently" break the law everyday, clearly it's not a big deal.

Selling eviction kits on Amazon, comes with 4 items for to successful eviction of not lawful tenants:
•Rubber butcher apron
•full head mask made form untreated raws animal skin
•working well chainsaw
•guaranteed alibi

•note: chainsaws gas not is included.
We are 5 stars rated retailer.

It finally happened. My neighbor text me today and said somebody broke into my place and cleaned me out pretty good including my side entry door. She thinks they will be back soon to get the rest. Work schedule won't allow me to get down this week so damage assessment will have to wait. She said they got both my cameras. Sucky news to get.
I am very sorry to hear your sad news!

Take care.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR