JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would just start trapping your property with hidden trip lines. Some snares. Hidden pits, just large enough to break an ankle/leg in. Several of those noise making devices with solar powered flood lights at the same time. You can get really devious about it. Really devious.
I only suggest that because I hate thieves first and foremost. Second on my disgust list are tweekers. Likely you got by thieving tweekers. And there is a good chance they will take up residence soon enough.

I would just start trapping your property with hidden trip lines. Some snares. Hidden pits, just large enough to break an ankle/leg in. Several of those noise making devices with solar powered flood lights at the same time. You can get really devious about it. Really devious.
I only suggest that because I hate thieves first and foremost. Second on my disgust list are tweekers. Likely you got by thieving tweekers. And there is a good chance they will take up residence soon enough.
This would not be legal, except the floodlight part. Now, covering the yard with rakes, comedy gold!

Your only option is to make it look like you're not home but are lying in wait like in Cape Fear. Then when that fails hit a big speed bump to scrape him off after he's belted himself to the undercarriage of your RV.

I have a couple of these solar lights (in my shed-for me, not security).
Cheap enough to mount high up out of reach.
Maybe mount one face up and the light might be visible to your Neighbor as a glow in the sky. :s0092:
Look around at HF, lots of solar lights, here's 2 pages:

Step 1 clean up and restore damage to property. Make list of stolen items.

Step 2 Cleanse property of anything worth stealing that isn't bolted down.

Step 3 Work on deterrence measures to ward off future visitors.

If you want to track them down u can leave something that appears to be valuable/ desirable and put an airtag on/in it. We have one on dog's collar and one hidden in vehicle. You can track down where they are in real time using other peoples cell phones for triangulation. It's location is shown on a map just like google maps. They work well and are small. No subscription. If same people come back this would lead you right to where your other stuff is/was.

Make the reward based on conviction. Chances are you will never have to pay. ;)
Most people will realize a reward based upon conviction means no reward ever or no reward any time soon. Many people may simply hear about the reward and never read the announcement. If they find out who ripped OP off or find the goods and you don't reward them, they will feel cheated. They will tell everyone. People who dont know about the contingency on conviction will figure OP is a POS whose word is worthless. And even many who do know about contingency will still figure OP is a POS who intended to trick locals into helping him. An outsider can easily get a bad rep in a rural community.

If there is a reward, is the point to catch and convict bad guys? What if cops catch and release? What if the cops refuse to even try? It sounds like at least two groups tried to break in. Catching the thieves may have no influence on security of the place if there are lots of thieves around. A better approach might be to focus on stuff stolen. Many who live in the region might have good ideas about where the stuff is and be willing to do some looking if there was a reward and it depended on recovering stuff, prorated on amt recovered. It might be much easier to find stuff than find thieves. Finding stuff may also lead to thieves. Or may not. It doesn't depend on either finding or convicting them.

Most people will realize a reward based upon conviction means no reward ever or no reward any time soon. Many people may simply hear about the reward and never read the announcement. If they find out who ripped OP off or find the goods and you don't reward them, they will feel cheated. They will tell everyone. People who dont know about the contingency on conviction will figure OP is a POS whose word is worthless. And even many who do know about contingency will still figure OP is a POS who intended to trick locals into helping him. An outsider can easily get a bad rep in a rural community.

If there is a reward, is the point to catch and convict bad guys? What if cops catch and release? What if the cops refuse to even try? It sounds like at least two groups tried to break in. Catching the thieves may have no influence on security of the place if there are lots of thieves around. A better approach might be to focus on stuff stolen. Many who live in the region might have good ideas about where the stuff is and be willing to do some looking if there was a reward and it depended on recovering stuff, prorated on amt recovered. It might be much easier to find stuff than find thieves. Finding stuff may also lead to thieves. Or may not. It doesn't depend on either finding or convicting them.
I would rather see the perp convicted then get my stuff back. Paying money to get my stuff back would make me feel like an ATM. "You need money go steal his stuff he will pay you to get it back." It would be similiar to paying a ransom to kidnappers. The other problem I could see happening with paying a finders fee for my stuff is that people might be sending reports right and left for items that are not mine. Being 5+ hrs away would make it difficult to chase down leads. It's too bad the community won't turn the perp(s) in for free. This may be why we have some much theft these days.

What if cops catch and release? What if the cops refuse to even try?
In my experience, these are the most likely outcomes.
It sounds like at least two groups tried to break in. Catching the thieves may have no influence on security of the place if there are lots of thieves around. A better approach might be to focus on stuff stolen. Many who live in the region might have good ideas about where the stuff is and be willing to do some looking if there was a reward and it depended on recovering stuff, prorated on amt recovered. It might be much easier to find stuff than find thieves. Finding stuff may also lead to thieves. Or may not. It doesn't depend on either finding or convicting them.
Good points. However, in the absence of unique identifying information such as serial numbers or engravings, how do you prove anything belongs to you? Someone who has paid for something, e.g. a pawnbroker or 2nd hand shop owner, is not going to give something to you just because you say "That is mine and somebody stole it."

A Sergeant from the Sheriff's office did call me back today. He gave me an event number and asked me to put together a detailed as possible list of what was taken with $ values. Once I provide him the list, he will open up a case.
They do this to facilitate your making an insurance claim. But don't expect them to investigate.

You will probably also find that you can't put together a complete list of items right away. You may be looking for something 6 months, a year, or even 2 years later and only then realize it was stolen (depending of course on how much stuff you had there). Your insurance company will generally give you 1 year, as long as you open a claim right away.
If you were cleaning up your place after a break in what evidence would you look for that might help tie somebody to the crime?
Anything they left behind: Water bottles, beer or soda cans, anything else that would pick up a finger print. Cops might want to finger print them, but it's a long shot. And, as a cop told me once, it really doesn't prove anything. However, in one case they did ask for them, although nothing came of it.

Cigarette butts for DNA testing (Joke).

I have basically adopted the strategy that you have decided to embrace, which is not to leave anything of value there. However, I do like the idea of hiding an Apple Air Tag on anything expensive you do find it necessary to keep there (somebody suggested this in an earlier post, but I can't find it now). They are not too expensive and I am told that they consume very little power and will send a signal for a long, long time.

Last Edited:
IME, most of the time, LEOs won't bother taking fingerprints for minor theft crimes. Often they don't even want to bother with a report.
I agree, but like I said, in one case they did ask for them. Never had them refuse to take a phone or on line report, tho. You can't make an insurance claim without a case number.

Its illegal to boobytrap a place. And you might break the ankle of some 8-year old kid who never steals or breaks into anything but explores everything. At least when adults aren't using it. Booby trapping your place intending to break trespassers ankle/leg is a far worse crime than trespassing. And with traps outside what you are talking about is maiming a tresspasser, not a thief. And by the way, unless you have signs on every deer trail or a fence around your property, even adults who don't normally trespass on posted property may do so by accident. During my serious hiking and camping days I more than once would be on some deer trail thinking I was on national forest or BLM land and would suddenly find my path turned out into a small clearing and I was 50'' from some house's back door. I would always reverse course and get out fast. Did not want to disturb solitude/privacy, theirs or mine. And embarrassing to go way off roads or people trails to get a real wilderness experience and to bumble into someone's covfefe back yard.

Second problem. Suppose you break trespassers ankle or leg. Then what? So they go to the hospital. Lose their job if they had one. End up with 10 grand medical bill. For starters, their crime is a misdemeanor, and there's no punishment except being told not to come back. They can sue you. Your crime is a serious crime. And you are also civilly liable, which requires only a preponderance of evidence. Alternately, or in addition, your place gets burned to the ground. Or, surprise! Turns out you aren't the only one capable of building a boobytrap.

I recall a Southern story about a watermelon farmer who was angry about kids stealing watermelons at night. So he puts a sign up in his field saying "One of these watermelons has been poisoned." Did he really poison a watermelon? No way to know. So the following morning no melons were stolen. But the morning after, the " One" on the sign was crossed out. The sign now said "Two of these watermelons have been poisoned."

I would rather see the perp convicted then get my stuff back. Paying money to get my stuff back would make me feel like an ATM. "You need money go steal his stuff he will pay you to get it back." It would be similiar to paying a ransom to kidnappers. The other problem I could see happening with paying a finders fee for my stuff is that people might be sending reports right and left for items that are not mine. Being 5+ hrs away would make it difficult to chase down leads. It's too bad the community won't turn the perp(s) in for free. This may be why we have some much theft these days.
Good points.
Its likely some people would help if they know anything. And some wouldn't want to get involved for fear of revenge. Like most other places. But sounds like big problem is nobody is likely to have seen anything.

Its illegal to boobytrap a place. And you might break the ankle of some 8-year old kid who never steals or breaks into anything but explores everything. At least when adults aren't using it. Booby trapping your place intending to break trespassers ankle/leg is a far worse crime than trespassing. And with traps outside what you are talking about is maiming a tresspasser, not a thief. And by the way, unless you have signs on every deer trail or a fence around your property, even adults who don't normally trespass on posted property may do so by accident. During my serious hiking and camping days I more than once would be on some deer trail thinking I was on national forest or BLM land and would suddenly find my path turned out into a small clearing and I was 50'' from some house's back door. I would always reverse course and get out fast. Did not want to disturb solitude/privacy, theirs or mine. And embarrassing to go way off roads or people trails to get a real wilderness experience and to bumble into someone's covfefe back yard.

Second problem. Suppose you break trespassers ankle or leg. Then what? So they go to the hospital. Lose their job if they had one. End up with 10 grand medical bill. For starters, their crime is a misdemeanor, and there's no punishment except being told not to come back. They can sue you. Your crime is a serious crime. And you are also civilly liable, which requires only a preponderance of evidence. Alternately, or in addition, your place gets burned to the ground. Or, surprise! Turns out you aren't the only one capable of building a boobytrap.

I recall a Southern story about a watermelon farmer who was angry about kids stealing watermelons at night. So he puts a sign up in his field saying "One of these watermelons has been poisoned." Did he really poison a watermelon? No way to know. So the following morning no melons were stolen. But the morning after, the " One" on the sign was crossed out. The sign now said "Two of these watermelons have been poisoned."

What you do on your property is your business and what I do on my own is my business.
Your attitude in general is why we have a decline in society.
It's a misdemeanor....
It's a kid...
It's a thief looking for crap to steal and a cabin to vandalize...

At the end of the day, stay off private property. Otherwise you may not find your way back across to public land.

Save the sanctimonious lecture for someone else, you wont change my mind.

I plan to rig up back up locking points so if neighbor discovers somebody kicked in door, she can slap a new padlock on the next set of locking points. I am thinking multiple layers of eye screws on door and frame. I will use harbor freight padlocks and supply the neighbor with extra locks. The eye screw in frame will be long and installed deep into frame. The eye screw on door will be short and installed shallow. This way if somebody kicks the door in, the eye screw in door will pop out, leaving padlock dangling on eye screw in frame. I am going to add an extra layer of plywood to exterior side of doors to help them survive being kicked in.
Have you considered one of these kits? I haven't tried them but they look interesting. Also, an outward swinging security screen will prevent a kick-in.

Save the sanctimonious lecture for someone else, you wont change my mind.
I don't think she was being sanctimonious. Just trying to warn anyone who considers doing this that they could be liable for civil and/or criminal penalties if someone (even a trespasser) is hurt as a result. Even if you escape penalty, be prepared to spend $$$ on your defense.

"...a property owner cannot intentionally take actions to cause harm to trespassers, such as setting traps on the premises."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top