JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have 12 buildings downtown that I manage and I can't keep people out of those even with security stopping by and doing patrols every 4 hours. And those turds are just trying to find a place to get high.
If you have stuff people want, have people close to it.
I'm sorry for your investments.
My plan is to no longer have stuff people want.

I would pay out for a conviction of even one perp but arrest is too low of a bar. My main motivation for offering the reward would be to get people interested in the case and to lookout for the stolen items. Dirtbags have dirtbag friends and it wouldn't surprise me if a "friend" gave up info on perp(s) if they thought there was an opportunity to "get rich".

I like your ideas on marking items.

I will also look into the driveway alarm idea.
Thanks for reading and responding to my post. :)

As to those "driveway alarms.
I meant for both the motion detector and the alarm to be inside the cabin, not outside.
Once they enter your cabin and pass the motion sensor the alarm will sound and startle them enough so that they leave.

Well, this is a GUN forum so have some other ideas that may interest you, but you will have to research any "castle doctrine" type laws in the state where your cabin is and tell (me) us what they say.
We can then formulate a plan for a way to proceed.
jmo,

You said that before you have people on camera checking your door locks before this break in. Recognize any of them? If so you might want to politely talk to them about the posable link between being seen and the break in. People that are up to no good don't like to be seen so you can play on their paranoia. Alternatively if of on camera peeps are having a garage you can very closely examine anything sort of like what you've lost.
I didn't recognize any of the people. My neighbor passed the photos around each time and I never heard back that any of them were identified. The last strangers that showed up on camera came very late at night during a late season snow event we had. It was a couple and they spent about a half hour outside probably looking for hideakey. They ended up leaving without breaking in. But they could have come back?

I meant for both the motion detector and the alarm to be inside the cabin, not outside.
Once they enter your cabin and pass the motion sensor the alarm will sound and startle them enough so that they leave.

Well, this is a GUN forum so have some other ideas that may interest you, but you will have to research any "castle doctrine" type laws in the state where your cabin is and tell (me) us what they say.
jmo,
Got it. I was thinking about one of those shotgun hull trip devices that would fire off a primed hull when they opened the door. But they would probably steal the device.

Or this one

Got it. I was thinking about one of those shotgun hull trip devices that would fire off a primed hull when they opened the door. But they would probably steal the device.

You can also get flash bang rounds for them or just make your own.

You could make a tank trap pit and cover it up that will eat their vehicle. Don't think they would come back after that. Not sure how to make it not eat the sheriff's suv though.

jmo,
I think adding this to my roof might reinforce the idea that the beeping alarm is sending the signal else where. I could run a cable up from the alarm box to the antenna to make it look a little more authentic.

I didn't recognize any of the people. My neighbor passed the photos around each time and I never heard back that any of them were identified. The last strangers that showed up on camera came very late at night during a late season snow event we had. It was a couple and they spent about a half hour outside probably looking for hideakey. They ended up leaving without breaking in. But they could have come back?
You can post the pics on apps such as Next Door, or the local Facebook community page if there is one. You may be able to get a sympathetic neighbor or other local to do this for you if you don't want to join yourself. This probably won't lead to an arrest but chances are somebody will recognize them and word will get around. At least, you can shame them, maybe discourage them from this activity (doubtful if they are druggies), tip off others in the neighborhood to this activity, and if you are lucky somebody may even contact you with an ID (To you: "My kid went to school with him." To him: "Hey, man, you've been busted.") If you can get a name you can google it and you may be able to find an address. BTDT. Then you have to decide what to do about it.

You can also personally take the photos around in the local community. Places to try: Post Office, local market/convenience store, liquor store, pot shops. This method helped me ID a guy who broke into my rural property once. There is no guarantee this will lead to an arrest, tho, or if it does, to prosecution. In my case, even tho a search warrant was executed and stolen property was found in his place of residence, the DA dropped the charges because she thought she could not get a conviction ("He could always say someone else who lived there stole them.")

You can post the pics on apps such as Next Door, or the local Facebook community page if there is one. You may be able to get a sympathetic neighbor or other local to do this for you if you don't want to join yourself. This probably won't lead to an arrest but chances are somebody will recognize them and word will get around. At least, you can shame them, maybe discourage them from this activity (doubtful if they are druggies), tip off others in the neighborhood to this activity, and if you are lucky somebody may even contact you with an ID (To you: "My kid went to school with him." To him: "Hey, man, you've been busted.") If you can get a name you can google it and you may be able to find an address. BTDT. Then you have to decide what to do about it.

You can also personally take the photos around in the local community. Places to try: Post Office, local market/convenience store, liquor store, pot shops. This method helped me ID a guy who broke into my rural property once. There is no guarantee this will lead to an arrest, tho, or if it does, to prosecution. In my case, even tho a search warrant was executed and stolen property was found in his place of residence, the DA dropped the charges because she thought she could not get a conviction ("He could always say someone else who lived there stole them.")
Thanks for the suggestions. For now I think I will focus on getting the place cleaned up and resecured. Then try to identify the SOBs who stole all my stuff Sunday night. I am really thinking hard about offering up a reward. It's a 5+ hour drive for me so if I can get locals working on it that would be much better for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. For now I think I will focus on getting the place cleaned up and resecured. Then try to identify the SOBs who stole all my stuff Sunday night. I am really thinking hard about offering up a reward. It's a 5+ hour drive for me so if I can get locals working on it that would be much better for me.
Make the reward based on conviction. Chances are you will never have to pay. ;)

You might want to try something like this on each door, with a padlock inside the security screen so that if they come thru a window they can't unlock the door from the inside.

Make the reward based on conviction. Chances are you will never have to pay. ;)

You might want to try something like this on each door, with a padlock inside the security screen so that if they come thru a window they can't unlock the door from the inside.

Ironically one of the items they stole was exactly like that but from Lowes. I should have installed it last summer when I bought it. Procrastination doesn't pay.

Yep the reward would only be paid if perp was convicted. That might motivate tipster to give testimony if needed for conviction.

My property is in a no mans land for cell service. I used to get 2g but they did away with that. Real time response isn't going to happen. My best bet at this point is to leave nothing they would want and make forced entry as least damaging as possible. I plan to rig up back up locking points so if neighbor discovers somebody kicked in door, she can slap a new padlock on the next set of locking points. I am thinking multiple layers of eye screws on door and frame. I will use harbor freight padlocks and supply the neighbor with extra locks. The eye screw in frame will be long and installed deep into frame. The eye screw on door will be short and installed shallow. This way if somebody kicks the door in, the eye screw in door will pop out, leaving padlock dangling on eye screw in frame. I am going to add an extra layer of plywood to exterior side of doors to help them survive being kicked in.

The neighbor checked on my place again this morning and she doesn't think the thieves came back last night. She sent me pictures and they made a heck of a mess.
Again, you have my sympathies as a VICTIM of a crime.

The CRIMINALS are doing this all over when it comes to second homes/vacation homes AND for homeowners who have ONLY 1 HOME and live rural or OUT a ways not just butt up to wilderness places. Plus in small towns and larger towns!

They are stealing, shooting, and ruining CAMERAS and so forth.

I wrote about this issue some place on here, one or more years ago, and what happened to my friend's neighbors up north - REMOTE area but NOT SUPER REMOTE, what happened IN a small town and even what happened in this college town.

THIS salami is going on and has been going on including with the drug traffic crapola.

It makes a person angry and not only SAD when they LIVE through a theft or an attempted BREAK IN - theft on their land and in their home. First or second home or their ONLY HOME no matter what type of dwelling it is!

Please be careful. I showed my husband your posts about this THEFT too. He is sad to hear what happened to you too.

Stay safe and PLEASE be careful all around and ON your land.

I know that you do not do this but some people with CABINS do keep some hunting and self defense firearms and ammunition LOCKED UP in their second homes and even in some places where some people BUG OUT so to speak.

Cate

Again, you have my sympathies as a VICTIM of a crime.

The CRIMINALS are doing this all over when it comes to second homes/vacation homes AND for homeowners who have ONLY 1 HOME and live rural or OUT a ways not just butt up to wilderness places. Plus in small towns and larger towns!

They are stealing, shooting, and ruining CAMERAS and so forth.

I wrote about this issue some place on here, one or more years ago, and what happened to my friend's neighbors up north - REMOTE area but NOT SUPER REMOTE, what happened IN a small town and even what happened in this college town.

THIS salami is going on and has been going on including with the drug traffic crapola.

It makes a person angry and not only SAD when they LIVE through a theft or an attempted BREAK IN - theft on their land and in their home. First or second home or their ONLY HOME no matter what type of dwelling it is!

Please be careful. I showed my husband your posts about this THEFT too. He is sad to hear what happened to you too.

Stay safe and PLEASE be careful all around and ON your land.

I know that you do not do this but some people with CABINS do keep some hunting and self defense firearms and ammunition LOCKED UP in their second homes and even in some places where some people BUG OUT so to speak.

Cate
Thank you again. I will be careful but at the same time I want to have a little justice served to the perp(s) who did this and discourage others from stopping by my place in the future. We can only be our own advocate in this type of situation. I respect the local Sheriff's Dept but they are overwhelmed like most LE agencies. Hopefully someone in the community will be able to help identify the culprit (s) and make it easier for the Sheriff's Dept to do their thing.

A man,

Did you have partial or FULL insurance for all of your belonging INSIDE the cabin plus insurance (Liability, theft, fire, etc.) for the ENTIRE BUILDING and for your LAND just in case some criminal trespasser and/or THIEF comes on your land, says he trips and falls and DECIDES TO SUE YOU even if you do have POSTED SIGNS UP?

If you DO have complete insurance ON your cabin, did you speak to your agent yet and FILE A CLAIM?

Do you have a HIGH DEDUCTIBLE if you do have complete coverage?

How BIG is the entire cabin and is it one BIG ROOM or split up?

Are you concerned about ARSON?

Do you have an outhouse or one of those mulch - composting toilets and NO running water or what now? I forgot. Sorry.

Are you worried that IF you do file a claim that you might get cancelled once they pay for ONE CLAIM? Some companies WILL do that salami and I have read about it online and it was ON many forums/boards online too. Plus on LOCAL and national news about famous and not so famous INSURANCE companies!

Some companies are cancelling people left and right if a second home or a remote cabin is LEFT unoccupied or barely has any person PHYSICALLY CHECKING IT on a REGULAR BASIS.

Plus many insurance companies are just QUITTING remote, wooded, wilderness, etc. houses even if it is a PERSON'S MAIN and ONLY dwelling and they have LIVED IN IT for 30 to 50 years!

I know some people UP north who have many friends who got totally cancelled.

Two different companies. Close to Noxon, close to the MT/Idaho border that way and some the other DIRECTION and up by Eureka too.

Plus many companies will NOT insure log cabins and they have not done that for some time too.

What is your siding on your cabin? OUTSIDE walls again? Hardi plank, logs, cedar, redwood, etc.?

Plus throw in the waterfront homes too! They are cancelling people left and right!

I like the idea of a BIG LOCKED GATE but some of them get BROKEN and places get invaded by THIEVES!

I would GET IN TOUCH WITH A LOCAL and bigger town NEWS SHOW and have them put up those pictures of yours ON THE TV and on some other shows for CRIME BUSTERS! UP at some post offices and grocery stores!

Have them do a PERSONAL NEWS STORY on YOU and about how crime is bothering rural property owners and so forth.

Cate

I wonder if placing a booby trap warning sign would deter people from entering cabin?

Edit, something like:
"Lethal Hazards. Do Not Enter"

I really like this sign for out front by road.

Screenshot_20220818-032713.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top