JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello guys,

Was having dinner with my father the other day and he told me he wants to buy a pump action shotgun. That being said I'd like to buy him a shotgun as a gift. I know from previous conversations he likes standard 870 with wood stock. (Not tactical or short barrel) 870 being a great gun I'm considering going that route, but I want it to be a little more "pretty" Make a statement or be a conversation piece. I find many over unders that are straight up beautiful guns but having a hard time finding something similar in pump. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Do you have a budget in mind and will this gun be shot regularly? That Wingmaster Premier is pretty enough to not shoot. The most beautiful 12G I ever saw is something I never caught the name of when I saw it in a shop. It has bugged me for years. The price was like $1400 secondhand and I just moved on because of the price and that was a mistake. Im still looking for it. Traditionally, the English guns are the best looking but they are $$$$$$$ with their own handmade wood and leather cases, etc. so it depends how far you want to go.

A place to peruse is Carol Watson auctions in Calif, in the past they have always had really excellent and beautiful guns available, just google it and see whats in the current catalog. Also checkout proxibid.com and search for Win 12G and see what comes up around the country. Also, contact Ian at Forgotten Weapons channel on youtube because he would know the older and interesting shotguns, im sure.

I feel like Im throwing darts in the dark but hope something helps.

Thank you for all the replys.

Realistically the shotgun won't get shot too much. Once to three times a year maybe when we go out together. I think he wants the shotgun to have in the house mostly for home defense. (Still likes full barrel length and wood stock. Even though I understand it's not ideal to have long barrels for home defense it's his want) As far as budget goes. Im thinking up to $1000.

Browning Pump Shotgun, nice wood for current production at a good price and it shoots really nicely for me.

1587657020722.png

I prefer vintage walnut. See picture

A few years back I picked up a Steven's 520a in 20g. (Take down in 20g, very hard to come by) I spent close to a year cleaning it and fixing a few thing. It's a great feeling having him showing off to other.

20200325_145816.jpg

Yup, i'm sucker for pretty wood, the BPS is satin walnut, and pretty good quality for under 600, that picture doesn't do it justice and i haven't taken any of mine yet.

I second the BPS. If you could find a Browning Micro MIdas in 20 gauge, you'd not only have a gorgeous shotgun but a family heirloom as well (I notice our daughters are buying us nicer things knowing they'll eventually get them back).

But a Midas may be hard to find. There are some very nice 20 gauge BPS on Gunsamerica that would fit your budget nicely.

Might (considering budget) check out macongunstocks.com they will provide an inletted stock blank . Anyway interesting wood. To what degree it's inletted ??? But it is PRETTY.

Almost pulled the trigger on a 870 trap. Great looking gun. But decided to hold out and take a look at the bps Browning today. Found a few of their special models online and they sell around my budget. Great looking guns and I like the idea of his shotgun being a little different then the ones I own cause it'll make it more of a statement.

I appreciate all the advice guys. Thank you

Almost pulled the trigger on a 870 trap. Great looking gun. But decided to hold out and take a look at the bps Browning today. Found a few of their special models online and they sell around my budget. Great looking guns and I like the idea of his shotgun being a little different then the ones I own cause it'll make it more of a statement.

I appreciate all the advice guys. Thank you

I own one (BPS), there are a few reasons why.

I shouldered it when i saw it on sale, it felt very good on me and subsequent use has proved it aims true :)
It's quality is certainly higher than a lot of lower options.
I too like more unique/different firearms, so the bottom load/eject made it nicer too.
The wood is much nicer in person, and the fit/finish generally was really nice.

A beautifully cared-for Winchester Model 12 would be the choice for a true heirloom gun.

Point me in the direction of a good condition Winchester 12. I found one. She's preeeeeetty.

But let's just add that I also need to go through WAF (wife acceptance factor). That purchase would leave me in a bit of trouble. Especially since I'm gifting and not keeping it.

Hello guys,

Was having dinner with my father the other day and he told me he wants to buy a pump action shotgun. That being said I'd like to buy him a shotgun as a gift. I know from previous conversations he likes standard 870 with wood stock. (Not tactical or short barrel) 870 being a great gun I'm considering going that route, but I want it to be a little more "pretty" Make a statement or be a conversation piece. I find many over unders that are straight up beautiful guns but having a hard time finding something similar in pump. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I'm a big fan of the CZ shotguns - you might want to take a look at thier website

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top