JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Public School teacher carrying at school was decided on November 18th 2009. This was based on a 'condition of employment'.

The Oregon Court of Appeals denied a South Medford High School teacher permission to bring her semiautomatic 9 mm Glock to school.

The court opinion upheld a 2007 Jackson County Circuit Court decision saying the Medford School District could forbid a teacher from carrying a concealed handgun on school property. Here is today's Medford Mail Tribune story.

The Associated PressShirley Katz

Shirley Katz's case first garnered national attention two years ago when she went public with her desire to carry the gun. She argued that she needed to protect herself from a former spouse, against whom she had filed multiple restraining orders.

At the time, school officials statewide were concerned that giving Katz the green light would allow teachers to bring concealed handguns into schools. The Virginia Tech massacre in April 2007 and other school shootings drew an outpouring of support and outrage for Katz's quest.

I would estimate that many hundreds, if not thousands of teachers carry every day. Something like a LCP or similar pocket gun is totally undetectable unless you have to go through a metal detector or have a pat-down.

For me, it would depend on where I worked. In Detroit I'd carry and take my chances with the charges in the event. Most anywhere else? I'd leave it in the car. Schools are statistically one of the safest places to be. -Unlike what the MSM would like you to believe.

Public School teacher carrying at school was decided on November 18th 2009. This was based on a 'condition of employment'.

The Oregon Court of Appeals denied a South Medford High School teacher permission to bring her semiautomatic 9 mm Glock to school.

The court opinion upheld a 2007 Jackson County Circuit Court decision saying the Medford School District could forbid a teacher from carrying a concealed handgun on school property. Here is today's Medford Mail Tribune story.

The Associated PressShirley Katz

Shirley Katz's case first garnered national attention two years ago when she went public with her desire to carry the gun. She argued that she needed to protect herself from a former spouse, against whom she had filed multiple restraining orders.

At the time, school officials statewide were concerned that giving Katz the green light would allow teachers to bring concealed handguns into schools. The Virginia Tech massacre in April 2007 and other school shootings drew an outpouring of support and outrage for Katz's quest.

Sadly, teachers that fear death at the hands of an ex or a stalker aren't as paranoid as society would make us think.

The case of Jennifer Paulson back in 2010 comes to mind...

<broken link removed>

Scumbag stalker ambushed her at school and murdered her.

The court opinion upheld a 2007 Jackson County Circuit Court decision saying the Medford School District could forbid a teacher from carrying a concealed handgun on school property.
That was CONDITION of EMPLOYMENT not the law. Conditions of Employment can be changed. Every school district in Oregon has different rules and some are changing them now.

Yup! Don't ask don't tell. ;)

In South Africa I carried a 1911 concealed for the entire year I taught High school Science and Chemistry. Against the rules? Sure. Never detected, never needed. Suit or Sports jacket & tie formal was required dress code summer and winter. ITWB holster no spare mag.

PS second toughest job I've ever had.

carrying or teaching

My wife is a teacher at a public school, you'd be amazed how many teachers and administrators have ccl's.
My guess is that after Sandy Hook they aren't just leaving them in their cars anymore.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top