JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the sake of this hypothetical discussion, you could keep whatever you have and whatever you received before Jan 1, 2022. Ammo and ammo components would still be available but transfers of firearms and firearm parts would be illegal (felony charge).

I would sell some firearms and firearm parts before such a ban took effect, that's for sure. I only need so much gear for self defense. The rest is a hobby, and like other material possessions I don't love them. I enjoy finding an unusual item, owning it, and then eventually rotating my small collection. If that was going to become impossible I wouldn't want to get stuck with extra gear encumbering me.

I would sell some firearms and firearm parts before such a ban took effect, that's for sure. I only need so much gear for self defense. The rest is a hobby, and like other material possessions I don't love them. I enjoy finding an unusual item, owning it, and then eventually rotating my small collection. If that was going to become impossible I wouldn't want to get stuck with extra gear encumbering me.
Great suggestion.

I already have enough kit to equip an infantry squad, and then completely refresh and resupply them for no less than four or five engagements.

Spare parts and other "accoutrements" would most likely be "salvaged" afterwards if things got "bad".

Hypothetically speaking of course. o_O

Not a thing because you can never sell it nor can your family. A ban like that is theft.
It's a mental exercise. I realize such a complete ban won't happen but elements or degrees of prohibition and difficulty of transferring firearms/parts could occur for many different reasons. The idea is for people to start thinking about what they have, what they want to acquire or what they may want to get rid of.

I already have enough kit to equip an infantry squad, and then completely refresh and resupply them for no less than four or five engagements.
I like you am not worried but would focus on ammo as I do still want to shoot so the more I have the longer I can practice and still maintain my stash for SHTF.

I have been playing this game too long and collected a lot of parts and supplies just incase something like that did happen. If I buy a gun I like I get one more and then I usually order replacement mags, springs and pins or high break items for them.

Its my hobby what can I say...

It's a mental exercise. I realize such a complete ban won't happen but elements or degrees of prohibition and difficulty of transferring firearms/parts could occur for many different reasons. The idea is for people to start thinking about what they have, what they want to acquire or what they may want to get rid of.
I did something like this years back on caliber and models of firearms to focus on before I got the toys that I just wanted. This is why most of my handguns are in 9mm and rifles are 223 or 7.62x39 focus on commonality.

. 0DE57191-B32F-4D69-9862-37363F10590E.jpeg

Look at history and the future. The history of gun bans looks like this locally.

"You can indeed own a fully automatic weapon on Washington state. However, Washington has very explicit laws regarding the ownership of fully automatic weapons. Washington state law states that machine guns and even machine gun parts are strictly prohibited to own. The only exception to this requires a person to have purchased the machine gun prior to July 1, 1994 and be in compliance with federal law in owning a fully automatic weapon (another topic in itself). So the short answer is basically no. You can not purchase a fully automatic weapon in Washington state. However, if you purchased it before they became illegal on July 1, 1994 you could continue to posses it in the state."

To understand future bans..

Do you buy a gas car knowing it's going to be banned?

Everything. Parts, ammo, components, arms, cleaning kits, all of it.
I would also invest in waterproof barrels and cosmoline. The value of even the cheapest firearms will skyrocket. At some point the phrase "in for a penny, in for a pound" is relevant.

Look at history and the future. The history of gun bans looks like this locally.

"You can indeed own a fully automatic weapon on Washington state. However, Washington has very explicit laws regarding the ownership of fully automatic weapons. Washington state law states that machine guns and even machine gun parts are strictly prohibited to own. The only exception to this requires a person to have purchased the machine gun prior to July 1, 1994 and be in compliance with federal law in owning a fully automatic weapon (another topic in itself). So the short answer is basically no. You can not purchase a fully automatic weapon in Washington state. However, if you purchased it before they became illegal on July 1, 1994 you could continue to posses it in the state."

To understand future bans..

Do you buy a gas car knowing it's going to be banned?
No worries.

Maybe order up some commonly worn parts like :

Sear
Extractors / ejectors
Firing pins
Magazines
Springs of various types
Things like that.

One thing about most of my collection is that I have a large amount of parts on hand...and I have the knowledge , skill and experience in making parts or modifying parts to work.....

And before someone chimes in with : Yeabut you like antiques / muzzle loaders...
Once any type of firearm is banned...that just means that its easier to ban all firearms.
Andy

I think some people missed the word "hypothetical".
If you are thinking I missed hypothetical, I didn't. There are too many variables in the question. A better question is what do you need in spare parts followed by that you can legally own when the ban hits.

Just my opinion.

:D I ain't about to say on an open forum that I would buy things to break the law. To ask what you would buy in defiance of a supposed law, well your answer is on the net forever and ever.

Ammunition and reloading components for what I have. They are currently on my radar, but it's not easy stuff to find. Think an upcoming ban would make gathering primers or powder any easier? I normally have plenty of components but recently nearly got caught with my pants down over some stuff.
Probably more mags. I bought a few a while back and this might be a good nudge to buy a few more before anything creates a larger demand than what's already going on.
I'd probably pick up a couple of good quality scopes to have for spares.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top