JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
a great day was had by all:):):)

using an antique single shot bolt rifle on his first outdoor range visit, within a few minutes he was hitting almost 10/10 steel plates @ 50'; a little more practice on closer smaller steel targets & his enthusiasm was very sparkling to watch.

smaller reactive targets he honed in rapidly & finally the 3" gummy ball began moving about with his attention;

He was introduced to 10/22 & 22 revolvers; given choice he returned to 'his' single shot and has great eye for the buckhorn sights on it.

Cheers for NRA/Appleseed basics & his dad's Marine rifle training; his progress was fantastic!

Glad to hear you all had a good time...and glad to hear of the use of a single shot .22 rifle.
( I was beginning to think that I was the only one who liked to shoot those or teach shooting with those...:D )
Andy

Andy; You aren't alone. Teaching the younger kids has always been where Most of the Fun is in when Instructing Rifle Shooting. I've been Lucky enough to get an Instructors position down at the NRA Whittington Center's Adventure Camp! The Center if the Best Kept Secret in the NRA!

My 10 year old grandson burns a 375 round bucket of Remington golden sabers in a 2 day visit. We have some steel flip over targets set about 100 feet off the back porch, with my heavy barrel 10/22 he keeps the smallest About the size of a quarter) spinning until the clip runs out. Those young eyes are incredible. He also took 6th in the at the national championship motocross races this summer in Tennessee. His 101st airborne ranger Dad was pretty pleased with him. He also started with my dad's old Winchester hand cock 22 single shot. The same gun I first shot over 60 years ago. Never thought about it being an antique.....guess both the rifle and I are antiques..

The system my Dad and Grandad used for teaching me the proper way to shoot was first the Safety stuff then I would get an 8oz. juice tin can and ten rounds of.22 Rimfire. I'd take the can out to the right distance and then I'd fire the ten shots. I'd take the can to Dad or Grandad and if the can had 10 holes in it I'd get 10 more rounds and a new can. 9 holes, 9 rounds. 8 holes, 8 rounds, etc. Safety was always reviewed each time.

Of course, they hadn't started with the 8oz. juice can but with a #10 tin. They'd keep an eye on me and if I was having trouble they'd be right there to help out.

I went to 4th grade in MN with Grandad went we were going to Germany. Once in Germany I shot as much as I could at the Rod & Gun Club outside Darmstadt, West Germany but most of the Shooting was with a fine German Pellet Rifle.

It was back to MN and Grandad sending me off to school with his Remington Model 12 and a box of shells with my name on them. When I got to school the rifle would be in the Clock Room under my jacket. The box of shells went to the Teacher and if I acted up the shells stayed in the Teacher's desk. Most days I'd get the box and Walk home the Long way. The school was two blocks from my Grandad's but the Long way was right at two miles, Shooting all the way.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top