JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All,

Now that the site is back, I can continue with my nOOb questions!

When I grew up, dad reloaded for the handguns. We used lead that we cut and pressed - he used to buy lead by the spool (how else would you buy it????). I recall it being quite soft.

I was shooting at a new to me site Sunday. I was using run of the mill Blazer FMJs. I distinctly heard ricochets.

Is there a real risk of injury shooting in a gravel pit with FMJs?

Told ya they are dumb questions.

Depending on just what the surface is that you are shooting at and the angle of the shot...
One can get ricochets from pure lead bullets and even round ball from muzzleloaders....
Granted the ricochet with a round ball is more like a skipping bowling...LOL

FMJ and other bullet styles will also ricochet from rocks , water , glass and other "hard" or "glancing " types of surfaces / hits...
Again all depending on the angle of the shot / hit....

Is it a risk...I guess...I also don't lose any sleep over it either.
Andy

RCBS.

Reloading actually sounds therapeutic to me now. But, I know a rabbit hole when I see one.

It will be just like guitar pedals, where I can proudly proclaim, "I have amassed a war chest of $1,000s in parts so I can build a $175.00 pedal for $75.00!"

Reloading actually sounds therapeutic to me
for me most definitely so.....

the notion you 'save money' by reloading isn't quite the real story...in my extensive and lengthy exploration of the subject, I learned while 'saving money' wasn't realistic, what I COULD do was shoot incredibly MORE rounds of a wider variety and limitless recipe details, for any given $ amount.

Ive been hit with many copper jackets doing stupid stuff that we probaly should not have tryed ... Worst thing ive seen is we where shootinf at a 12in steel plate at like 20ft and my buddy got hit with a peace of copper jacket and it cut him ... He cryed ...i cryed ... Put a barbie bandaid on it and kept shooting ... Just use common sence if it dont feel safe or look safe dont do it. Cuz sone idiot will drive by and see you shooting there and now everyone and there brother has a new cool spot to trash

the notion you 'save money' by reloading isn't quite the real story...in my extensive and lengthy exploration of the subject, I learned while 'saving money' wasn't realistic, what I COULD do was shoot incredibly MORE rounds of a wider variety and limitless recipe details, for any given $ amount.
Well stated.
ALSO - ones does NOT need the newest, most modern, and/or the fastest equipment to produce high quality ammo. This is especially true for rifle ammo which actually benefits from loading with simpler equipment.

Many years ago I actually got hit in the arm by a lead bullet ricochet from a low velocity .38 Special off a steel target at a CASS shoot.
Everything was correct safety - wise, no NDs or other issues.
And - for a low power .38 it stung pretty good!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top