JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was recently in Beaverton Vision World, and they had a collection of sports and safety glasses that they claimed were suitable for shooting (I specifically asked about shooting). I didn't like any of the designs though, and didn't wind up ordering any. I imagine that if one found a good pair online, they could put prescription lenses in them. That might be something worth inquiring about (I didn't think to ask at the time).

Thanks for the replies. What I've heard that some optometrists do is rearrange the prescription in the lenses so your important viewing area is in a better area of the lense for sight and target acquisition.

With I-1639 in WA I've kept some of my hobbies to myself and told the optometrist that I work with a table saw and chop saw that has a Lazer -Line in my shop. I feel It's none of their business what I do with them and want no mention of "that" in my medical record. :(

My optometrist at Walmart is a gal I've known since high school, and while she's not a shooter herself she's given me a lot of pointers about prescription eyepro--try asking your local Wally's Vision Center about polycarbonate lenses. (My prescription actually REQUIRES PC's because it's the only material they can do super-high-index lenses in.)

Why settle on local supplies and their available styles? You can send your prescription into many reputable safety glass manufacturers and they will hook you.

Prescription
https://www.oakley.com/en-us/category/men/prescription
Prescription
SGUSA Store | Prescription Safety Glasses USA
One down side I see is not being able to try them on. I don't know how many I have to try on in the store before deciding on something. Maybe you have to order several at a time and hope one pair sits well, and send the rest back.

My optometrist at Walmart is a gal I've known since high school, and while she's not a shooter herself she's given me a lot of pointers about prescription eyepro--try asking your local Wally's Vision Center about polycarbonate lenses. (My prescription actually REQUIRES PC's because it's the only material they can do super-high-index lenses in.)

And if you have even a slight astigmatism like I do that determines what materials they can use. No cheapy plastic can make that correction.

I made the mistake of buying some inexpensive sporting glasses that were advertised as being "polarized" which I was told could help with an astigmatism using a red dot. It turned out to be just a pair of plastic colored lenses that don't work at all. Returning them in eBay is a pain.

I made

Last Edited:
I told my optometrist at Kaiser I needed glasses for handgun shooting that allowed me to focus on the front sight when it is arm's length away and she fixed me up. I picked frames with large lenses so they also serve as eye protection. I keep those glasses in my range bag and use them when I shoot handguns. I have a separate set of glasses in my range bag for rifle shooting made with BJones frames.

I found dedicated shooting glasses to be too expensive, so I opted for trifocal lenses in my everyday prescription glasses. The middle focal point is set at arm's length which gives me the perfect sight picture for handgun shooting.

I have some expensive frames that I've been using for over two decades and just swap out the lenses when my prescription changes. I spend a lot of time on the computer at my desk and cooking so the mid-range trifocal works for these tasks too.

I buy inexpensive safety glasses designed to fit over prescription glasses in clear and amber tint for the lighting conditions I deal with outside. I keep these in my range bag so I don't have to hunt for them.

Pretty sure that @etrain16 knows of one and if I remember correctly she is very attractive. Not that it matters!:D

My eye Dr. knows I shoot and has worked with my on my lenses. Even suggested when it comes time for new lenses, that I should consider bringing in a rifle with a scope so they can help provide lenses that will line up properly with line of sight on the scope. I don't know if many eye Dr.s would be okay with that.

NW Eyecare Professionals - Clackamas, OR
Dr. Bruce is the head guy there. Mine is Dr. Julia

And yeah, @11Charlie she's okay to look at ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top