JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a pair of Prescription shooting glasses. I've notice a decline in my vision past 50 yards. I've had glasses before, but was over 10 years ago when I was in college and couldn't see the board at the front of class sitting in the back row. I don't think my eyes are really bad but I have yet to get another eye exam. Anyone who can lead me to the right direction i'd appreciate it.

Side note rant:

Why do my $120 shooting glasses fog up with ease while my $2 cheap amazon safety glasses never fog up at all!

I would recommend a prescription for computer-ground lenses which give you a triangular magnification area (perfect for lining up your sights and targets).

Side Note:
Glass lenses tend to fog more than plastic.

I would recommend a prescription for computer-ground lenses which give you a triangular magnification area (perfect for lining up your sights and targets).

Side Note:
Glass lenses tend to fog more than plastic.
Interesting, I've only owned 1 pair of glasses my whole life which was 10+ years ago, never went back to the eye doctor since. So i'm a greenhorn when it comes to glasses and lens. I was thinking about getting the ESS Ice frames with the RX inserts...but I think i'll need to get an eye exam to figure out how bad my eyes have gotten over the years.

Thanks for the replies all.

WileyX frames are incredibly durable, and their lenses are "shatterproof" polycarbonate so they make excellent shooting glasses. I use their AirRage frames with tinted Rx lenses while shooting in bright light and they are amazing. The lenses are interchangeable so you can have clear and tinted lenses for different settings. Mine are used for driving, riding ATVs, and shooting.

I lucked out. Last time I had new glasses made, the lab screwed up and it took almost two months to get the glasses. To make it right, the optometrist offered me a free pair of glasses. Unfortunately, I had to choose frames they had in stock, but they had some safety glasses and one pair was a good shape and they tinted them in yellow for me. I'm not the most styling guy on the range but free was a very good price for prescription progressive safety eye-wear.

One good thing about having a vision eyewear insurance policy, is coverage for two pair of glasses each year. So I get to have a spare pair in the truck, another in the coat pocket, on the nightstand, pretty much wherever I want them when I need them. So in the pistol case is a pair of prescription shooting glasses. I think the insurance company is losing money on me.

I lucked out. Last time I had new glasses made, the lab screwed up and it took almost two months to get the glasses. To make it right, the optometrist offered me a free pair of glasses. Unfortunately, I had to choose frames they had in stock, but they had some safety glasses and one pair was a good shape and they tinted them in yellow for me. I'm not the most styling guy on the range but free was a very good price for prescription progressive safety eye-wear.

Yellow lenses are useful at the range. At least I've always used them!

I checked out the Wiley-x glasses and saw several I really liked! But!, the store quoted me $382 for the lenses alone! Frames extra! Too much for a fixed income guy!:(
All is not lost, times coming up for a new pair of Kaiser glasses and I'm going for some cool azzed shades! They make an excellent product.

Last Edited:
I lucked out and found a good eye doctor in Dallas who seems to understand shooting sports reasonably well. Once I had the Rx I went through Decot. If you shoot clay birds I would say up to half the folks at some shoots are using their glasses. They know how build the glasses so the sweet spot is where you eye is looking (they only do sports, mainly shooting glasses). Many colors as well for different conditions, replaceable lenses on one frame.

One cool feature is that I have a set of lenses where the right lens is for distance and the left is set for my close up vision (I'm left eye dominate). When shooting a handgun this allows my dominate eye to see the sights while the other eye is available for distance. Takes some getting use to but I like it. Probably like most shooting glass companies they do unique things like reverse bi-focal.

I do have to say my favorite shooting glasses of all time were my old Oakley Blades...when I had 20/20 vision, 20+ years ago!

They aren't inexpensive, but they are great.

IMG_4068.JPG

I got mine through my eye doctor. They ended up being safety glasses, which my coverage allowed me to get for a decent price, which my employer ended up reimbursing (see below).

If you have the option, look for glasses that meet MIL-PRF-31013 standards, which exceed the ballistic rating of ANSI Z87.1 - the standard for most safety glasses. The MIL standard has a much higher impact rating for projectiles than does the other, though you will still get protection from Z87.1 rated lenses.

If you work in an industry that requires the use of safety glasses (such as construction), sometimes your employer will reimburse part or all of the cost for prescription safety glasses - that's what happened with me. If you're not sure, ask them. I just wouldn't tell them you're looking for "shooting" glasses, just "safety" glasses.

I use Bolle Vigilantes or Parol, with the prescription insert. I buy them with the TNS Gun Metal dark lenses but have a pair with lemon lenses for the range. I just got a pair off Amazon for $54.00 and they retail for $129.00 now. See if you can get a pair with the lemon lenses. The blank prescription insert is usually 20-25 bucks and maybe double to get them cut for your prescription. One draw back if you continually pop out the outer "sunglass" lenses you stretch the frames. Have been using them for close to 15 years.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/bolle-...plusbox-beta&gclid=CM7L99LX7csCFQeRfgodIiIEtQ

Brutus Out

Coming back from Sturgis.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews