JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking to start shooting down at my local range soon and I'm getting a few bits of gear together before hand.

I'm looking to get eye protection, but I need to have prescription lenses. Contact lenses for me are not an option.

I've looked at a few frames like the Wiley X with the prescription inserts, but from what I've read prescription inserts are not that great, and don't work so well at a range.

The other option I've seen is to buy something like E-Rudy project frames with their ballistic rx lenses or Oakleys with their ballistic rx lenses, but both of those are hitting $500+.

And safety glasses that fit over my prescription ones are not really an option, I hate them...

Any advice?

You can get prescription eye ware suitable for shooting in safety configurations. Costco can get safety rated prescriptions filled.
Google search - prescription safety glasses
That should bring up about a million hits.

I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking to start shooting down at my local range soon and I'm getting a few bits of gear together before hand.

I'm looking to get eye protection, but I need to have prescription lenses. Contact lenses for me are not an option.

I've looked at a few frames like the Wiley X with the prescription inserts, but from what I've read prescription inserts are not that great, and don't work so well at a range.

The other option I've seen is to buy something like E-Rudy project frames with their ballistic rx lenses or Oakleys with their ballistic rx lenses, but both of those are hitting $500+.

And safety glasses that fit over my prescription ones are not really an option, I hate them...

Any advice?

Well I _may_ have a good suggestion for you, I was doing similar research a few days ago when I came across these: ESS Goggles - Protective Goggles - Ballistic Goggles - Eye Protection, they have rx inserts, and their prices are quite reasonable, ~$30 for the glasses + ~$30 for the rx insert, you can mix and match different glass styles with different insert styles. I liked the fact that their glasses (with the shield lens) is ANSI & MIL-speced.

I've got the ESS glasses and will be getting a Rx insert when it's delivered this weekend. The glasses are well made and comfortable and not very expensive.

I prefer contacts for shooting rifles, as contacts keep the optical center of the lens aligned correctly. I find that when shooting rifles I start getting distortion from the edge of the lens. Pistols are fine.

But since my eyesight w/o correction really sucks, I like to have the backup option of lens inserts for the ESS glasses if I need them.

H

Just out of curiousity
Are you primarily handgun or rifle?
Reason: I found with pistols ( no scope) that I shot better just using safety glasses vs trying to use my prescription glasses.
I am think it had to do with capturing the front site better.

ON rifles - all mine have scopes so it was not as much a problem.

Bausch and Lomb Outdoorsman frames, scrip lenses. I opt for polarized. Have three pair: one yellow (for target shooting), one dark tinted, and one photo-brown transitional.

When I was poorer, I had only one pair. They broke just prior to a sagerat/chuck/coyote hunt in Eastern Oregon. Almost went without 'em. Phoned the optometrist, and he rushed the order, and I literally picked them up on the way out of town.

For reasons still unknown (but probably cheap brass: PMC), I experienced case head seperation while shooting at a chuck. Pieces of the Model 70 .223 went everywhere. Blew out the wood on the left side, fractured the aluminum floorplate housing, smashed the ejector button back into the bolt face, compressing the tiny spring to a solid wafer, and dismantled and broke the extractor. I had wood fragments in my cheeks, but I owe my eyes to my good Bausch and Lombs.

The gun survived. Parts from Winchester and a headspace check at the smith put it back in operation. A lesson I do not want to repeat. God issues you one set of binoculars. He expects you to have them when you muster out.

I picked up a pair of Wiley X PT-1 (military issue with clear and smoke lenses) for $25.00 on ebay (they are running about $60 now) and plan on ordering the PT-1 RX insert with the prescription pre-filled from Optics Plant for $100.00.

$160 for military grade prescription eye wear with two lenses is hard to beat! If you ever get contacts you can remove the RX insert and use them as regular safety/sun glasses.

Bboy503

just like optics for your rifle, you get what you pay for. $100 prescription safety glasses will protect, but visual acuity will be what $100 will buy...

something to think about: seriously consider protection from above. I used to wear my normal eyeglasses until a casing bounced off the lane separation barrier at my range, flew under the bill of my hat and fell between the glasses and my eye, landing just below the eye and burning the cheek...could have been really bad. Now it's always Rx safety glasses.

If you are looking for non insert type shooting glasses check out the Wiley X Romer II RX at Optics Planet. $132.00 with the prescription. The only draw back is you can not switch the lens out for another color. What you buy is what you get unless you buy two separate glasses.

First of all, thanks for all the awesome replies! I've been a lurker here for a while, only now about to start to get into shooting.

I'm looking primarily for indoor pistol shooting. Ultimately my goal over the next year is to get into 200 yard+ rifle shooting, but that's a fair bit off. I'll reevaluate the optics then and contacts or custom lenses for scope focus will what I'll probably get then.

Yeah, I guess ESS or Wiley is the way to go with the clip on Rx frames. Though I'm going to read a bit more about the Romer II's and see what they are like.

Covering my full eyes with no gap is my goal. As for Lasik eye surgery, I'm not going there, my eyes change every few years and I've got 3 unlucky friends who had complications with it to the point where one of them has a horrible daily routine now to feel comfortable.

Good topic,even if I don't need glasses.

And I talked to two different Doctors with 'coke bottle' glasses that ,in no way would think about lazic.Their eyes are their life and won't chance it for anything.

I worked with a few guys that were lucky enough to have to have safety glasses at work,so their employer had to supply them.

First of all, thanks for all the awesome replies! I've been a lurker here for a while, only now about to start to get into shooting.

I'm looking primarily for indoor pistol shooting. Ultimately my goal over the next year is to get into 200 yard+ rifle shooting, but that's a fair bit off. I'll reevaluate the optics then and contacts or custom lenses for scope focus will what I'll probably get then.

Yeah, I guess ESS or Wiley is the way to go with the clip on Rx frames. Though I'm going to read a bit more about the Romer II's and see what they are like.

Covering my full eyes with no gap is my goal. As for Lasik eye surgery, I'm not going there, my eyes change every few years and I've got 3 unlucky friends who had complications with it to the point where one of them has a horrible daily routine now to feel comfortable.

When you get them please post a review, I intend to buy ESS next month, will be good to hear a first hands experience :)

Good topic,even if I don't need glasses.

And I talked to two different Doctors with 'coke bottle' glasses that ,in no way would think about lazic.Their eyes are their life and won't chance it for anything.

I worked with a few guys that were lucky enough to have to have safety glasses at work,so their employer had to supply them.

I am sure Lazic has come a long way but even if I get slight ghosting or any minor complication, that would be a biggie with it being the eyes, rather live with glasses/lenses than a laser going in my eye, but that's just me :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top