JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pelican case for about $150.

For avoiding prying eyes around the studio I use one of these...
Paid about sixty bucks for a color they were clearancing, comfortably holds two 16" AR carbines, one pistol, and plenty of mags. Heavy SOB to try to lift loaded like that, but...

If you are allowed to on your property I would dig a hole and put waterproof box in hole. Put guns inside with discreet insulated cover made from non flammable materials. If you have to take them with you, it might make quick evac more difficult.

Pelican case for about $150.
That's a decent price for used. IIRC I paid $150 for a 1650 (not as tall, but close) commercial version, new, on sale on Amazon - I bought three. Even used it is a good price - a 1630 goes for $400 new on Amazon and 155 used on ebay. If in good shape, a person can get some Kaizen foam and setup it up real nice.

Here is another good deal:

Harbor Freight has a decent selection of affordable plastic boxes with wheels. Better than paying Pelican prices if you're not planning on a boating trip.

All good ideas but will PROBABLY not work in the pinch. One of the hardest mindsets I had to burn through to the mares nest of my feeble minds eye was the fact that just a 30 pound 3 day back pack will be the ONLY thing removable from the house during a hard fast GO NOW wildfire evac demand.

Everything else you own on, in or around the house may just be shortly toast. All you stuff burned up. One might consider a separate location self rental shortage unit in a possibly safe area away from you home. May or may not work for you. Multiple stash locations? Expensive but maybe doable.

Maybe also a good expendable dirt bike. If no motorcycle then a good throw a way mountain type bicycle. Carts and roll a longs are too slow. One can not push them fast or far enough to do any good. Heart attacks anyone? Pull and push and puff until you drop from exhaustion. Not a good way to die.

A good 3-7 day evac bag(s) residing in the back of the dinky SUV Jeep is a great idea but you need to already have it in the vehicle. You will NOT have time to load it if forced to boggie right now. Time will NOT be on your side. Consider the least common denominator. A small backpack and your feet.

Last Edited:
All good ideas but will PROBABLY not work in the pinch. One of the hardest mindsets I had to burn through to the mares nest of my feeble minds eye was the fact that just a 30 pound 3 day back pack will be the ONLY thing removable from the house during a hard fast GO NOW wildfire evac demand.
It depends. I had to do a "go now" evac last year, but in truth I could have spent a lot longer to evac in hindsight, and others did; they loaded up trailers full of stuff. It depends, but given the wind direction last year, I was not in near as much danger as I thought and even if the wind blew towards me, I probably had more time that I spent loading up - especially since my way out was moving away from the fire, not towards or thru it - I have two directions I can go, depending on where the fire is coming from.

Also, if I have enough warning - say there is a fire but a level one, then two, then three, I would already be loading up long before it got to a three go now. Since I live in the boonies and no one here will mess with my stuff, having it already loaded is not a problem - indeed, I would probably already have moved the bulk of my stuff to my kids place out of danger when there is a level one warning.

The problem last year was the fire started and got out of control quickly, nearby, about 800 yards from my property, so I had no warning, by the time I learned there was a fire, five minutes later the sheriff showed up at my door telling me to evac. That gave me no time to think, just react; I piled most of my guns in my SUV, grabbed my laptop and a a few other things and headed out.

Now I am organizing my stuff, much of it is in storage bins, ammo is in one place, so I can grab it and put it in the back of my flatbed (8'x12') and haul a lot more out faster - if I am willing to abandon my SUV. Hopefully this won't happen again before I sell my property.

One of my disadvantages is I am alone - so I have no one to help me, not going to ask neighbors for help when they are all loading up as much and as fast as possible too. Also, I can only drive out one vehicle, making me have to choose between my SUV and my big truck - next time I would choose my big truck and try to come back for my SUV - the SUV is fully insured so if it burns up it might be covered by either property or car insurance. I did not think about that last year or I would have made a different decision.

If I had a fork lift or pallet forks on a tractor, I would have a lot of stuff in my shop loaded on pallets. Come to think of it, I might still do that and get the forks, and borrow the neighbor's tractor with FEL. Would come in useful when I sell the property (thinking of getting a container to store my stuff in) - a pallet of storage bins wrapped in plastic would be good. My flatbed will easily take 12 pallets with room left over.

I guess I could lift a pallet with my a-frame hoist - if I can get it high enough.

Last Edited:
We had one of the bigger Pelican cases for firearms transport, though I sold it earlier in the year because it was no longer needed. They are well made from what I've seen though.

As someone who just bugged out, with all of my guns and ammo, I can recommend blankets.

I laid out a blanket, placed a long gun at one edge, burrito rolled it, placed another long gun, rolled, and so on. After it was all rolled, I belted it to stop unraveling, and placed it in the trunk. A twin sized blanket easily held 5-6 guns and kept them safe from dings/scratches.

For hand guns I have a few range bags with side compartments. Each one easily held 4 pistols and the handles made it easy to grab 3 or 4 bags at a time.

The guns were the easy part, that probably only took 10 minutes. It was the ammo and reloading supplies that was a pain in the old backside. Those all got thrown into a few plastic Rubbermaid totes and stacked in the back of the SUV. A single tote weighed 80lbs; I thought for sure the handles were going to break.

Since you are already aware that there is the potential need for a quick exit, I suggest that you start loading them now and take them to a safe place. Don't wait until it might be too late. in any event, make certain that you have photos and have recorded the serial numbers so that you will have proof of ownership. Insurance companies are a bubblegum to deal with when it comes to guns. You can also field strip your long guns and reduce their size.

I wanted a box that would fit in front of the fender wells in the bed of my pick up. I went to the army surplus store with my tape measure and found a box that was "just right" I think it was marked that it was for some kind of radar or something. I had to remove the separators inside and put on hinges and a hasp but it worked great. I called it my war box.

Ya, I've been researching one for the beach. They make some nice ones, but replacement wheels for the beach are almost as expensive as the cart itself if not more.

View attachment 991810
Maybe Harbor Freight has something cheaper

Not quite as wide as your pic...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads