JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With all the wildfires going on and the threat of needing to leave.....anyone come up with good affordable solution to packing a boat load of rifles, handguns, mags etc in a rollable tote or case? I see some options but $1k+ end of the world case is probably out of the question, pelican 1740 ain't big enough. Leaning towards a hardsided rollable road case for something like band equipment. Not sure if any of the plastic totes at Lowes/Home Depot are long enough or heavy duty enough. I know it's gonna be a heavy but main goal is to keep all the "stuff" in one box that two people can load in the back of a truck with a bed cap. Thinking something around 18 to 24" x 18 to 24" x 44" would suffice.....just curious if anyone else has any clever ideas for something large, durable and rollable.

Stay safe out there guys!🍻

golfbag cart,

Screenshot_20210714-085753.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's really an emergency you can pile them up in the middle of a carpeted room, cut the carpet in a rectangle, longside perpendicular to the guns, and roll them up.
Carpet is surprisingly durable. You could tie a rope around one end and pull the whole thing through a wall with your pickup if you wanted.
Oh and edit to add: if it's hard to slide, liberally applied ketchup on the chosen route will help tremendously.

Last Edited:
With all the wildfires going on and the threat of needing to leave.....anyone come up with good affordable solution to packing a boat load of rifles, handguns, mags etc in a rollable tote or case? I see some options but $1k+ end of the world case is probably out of the question, pelican 1740 ain't big enough. Leaning towards a hardsided rollable road case for something like band equipment. Not sure if any of the plastic totes at Lowes/Home Depot are long enough or heavy duty enough. I know it's gonna be a heavy but main goal is to keep all the "stuff" in one box that two people can load in the back of a truck with a bed cap. Thinking something around 18 to 24" x 18 to 24" x 44" would suffice.....just curious if anyone else has any clever ideas for something large, durable and rollable.

Stay safe out there guys!🍻
the band cases scream STEAL ME . they are spendy and folks don't put cheap stuff in them

I'd assume in any type of major fire event you'd be able to evacuate with a car, because if you have to escape on foot from your house I'd say you have bigger problems.

If you have time to start packing valuables into the car, I'd just take a stout blanket, put all the guns in it, wrap them up in it (not caring about scratches) and put that in the car. If I lived in an area where a wildfire could burn down my home, I'd have a dedicated file set up with important documents already "ready to go."

I've been through the drill more than once. Your biggest issue ends up being weight, whether total or per container. The 1740 is a good choice, get more than one. Or look for Hardigg cases at a surplus outlet or online. Hardiggs' are dirt cheap and literally everywhere right now in Afghanistan, if you're the adventurous type. Rolling carts like below are good for handguns. A job box bolted to a truck bed also works. Long term solution if you have property: underground bunker.

1626284318157.jpeg

I'd think a garden cart would be sufficient.
1626287807187.jpeg
I personally have two trailers for the bicycles. One by Burley and another from Schwinn. Those are our big out vehicles and such. Kid and a bunch of gear in one, gear and misc in the other.

I'd think a garden cart would be sufficient.
View attachment 991777
I personally have two trailers for the bicycles. One by Burley and another from Schwinn. Those are our big out vehicles and such. Kid and a bunch of gear in one, gear and misc in the other.
My parents have one of those 4 wheel garden carts. The issue is that its already very heavy on its own, and if the tires stay low pressure, its hard work pulling one with lots of weight in it. The better options have solid tires, or larger 16-20" wheels sort of like these . Its also why most game haulers have similarly large diameter wheels. 51b0tu0g5GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 41HbdRHps8L._AC_SY580_.jpg

My parents have one of those 4 wheel garden carts. The issue is that its already very heavy on its own, and if the tires stay low pressure, its hard work pulling one with lots of weight in it. The better options have solid tires, or larger 16-20" wheels sort of like these . Its also why most game haulers have similarly large diameter wheels. View attachment 991785View attachment 991786
Sunjoe is what all the bicycling homeless use so it's gotta be good.

While I have a 1740 depending what I put in it, it get somewhat heavy and difficult to move/store. Not sure I would want bigger. Not to bad for me but the wife definitely struggles with the size/weight with it loaded up with firearms/ammo/mags.

My parents have one of those 4 wheel garden carts. The issue is that its already very heavy on its own, and if the tires stay low pressure, its hard work pulling one with lots of weight in it. The better options have solid tires, or larger 16-20" wheels sort of like these . Its also why most game haulers have similarly large diameter wheels. View attachment 991785View attachment 991786
Ya, I've been researching one for the beach. They make some nice ones, but replacement wheels for the beach are almost as expensive as the cart itself if not more.

1626292602736.jpeg

If you're evacuating, I'd guess that you're going somewhere not immediately unpack able...maybe it's a motel/hotel/Holiday Inn.

My own preference would be for a mounting insert to fit a truck mounted cargo box...Get the stuff normally in the box out, add in the insert (would likely make out of wood to keep organized the exact guns that I have), then add in the guns. Close and lock it back up.

Then again, I've got significantly fewer arms than some of the people here.

OP, why are soft cases not an option? Hell, even towels/blanket would work in a pinch for basic scratch and ding protection just to get them into a vehicle. At the end of the day, a scratch or two is nothing over losing them to a fire. I'd just chuck them in the bed of a truck if it came down to it, if I have time, they would get wrapped in towels as the linen closet is not too far from the safes location.

The problem is, the bigger you go, the heavier it is and the more difficult it is to move, plus loading it into a vehicle becomes a hassle. If $800 is too expensive, then you can get some inexpensive smaller 2 gun Plano quality cases and get a bunch of them. I have a number of Pelican cases, but I have one Plano 2 gun case that amazon sells for $38 - ten of those would hold 20 long guns for the cost of one large Pelican rolling case.

You can shop for surplus Hardigg cases: https://military-tent.com/pehamechbox.html

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top