Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Preppers Cookbook: "What do to with all those beans and dried goods!"

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by JackThompson, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

*** UPDATED RECIPE LIST BELOW ***

How many of you stare at the cupboards, half full of food and find NOTHING to make for dinner?

My mother used to be able to come over and make a 5 course meal fit for a king from the scraps we had laying in what I thought was a barren wasteland of a food pantry.

Well, I'm staring now at an entire doomsday pantry full of flour, rice, beans, vegetables, salt, sugar, etc. Thinking the same thing. "There's nothing to eat"

So instead of boiling beans and rice at doomsday, let's come up with some ways to make this stuff seem like actual meals.

This thought process was sparked by AMProducts awesome contribution to another "Prepping" thread, that I want to share here to get us started.

So if you guys can share some recipes for making meals with commonly stored survival foods I'll update this post with the food ideas and recipes! (If this has already been done, well then shoot me... maybe this is the wrong forum to make that joke...)

I'll see if I can find any good recipes too! (We need some good actual chili recipes...)

Thanks,
    Jack

*** PREPPERS PANTRY RECIPE LIST ***
    (Where possible I'll add the serving number so we can see how many meals we can get from a 60lb bag of beans for instance.)

Courtesy: AMProducts

Fresh Navy Bean Soup: (Serves 5-6)
    1lb White Navy Beans
    1 gal water
    1/2 cup onions (chopped)
    1/2 cup celery (chopped)
    1/2 cup carrots (coined)
    2 bay leaves
    1 ham shank
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Rinse and sort beans then soak overnight (or follow the quick-soak instructions on bag). Combine ingredients in large pot, bring to boil and simmer for 1hr.

Shelf Stable Navy Bean Soup: (Serves 5-6)
    1lb White Navy Beans
    5qt water
    1/2 cup dehydrated dried onions (minced)
    1/2 cup freeze celery (chopped)
    1/2 cup dehydrated carrots
    2 bay leaves
    2 cans spam (diced)
    Salt/Pepper to taste (reduce salt vs fresh recipe)

Rinse and sort beans then soak overnight (or follow the quick-soak instructions on bag). Combine ingredients in large pot, bring to boil and simmer for 1hr.

Yellow Rice: (Serves ???)
    2 Cups White Rice
    4 cups water
    2 bullion cubes

Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 20 mins.

Yellow Rice stir-fry: (Serves ???)

Take leftover yellow rice, add can of canned chicken, dehydrated onion, carrots, shallots, and 2 tablespoons of powdered eggs.

Combine onions, carrots, shallots and powdered eggs into a pan with 1/2 cup water over low heat. Continue heating until water is absorbed.

In frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and bring to heat. Add rice to oil and pour rehydrated veggies and eggs and while stirring frequently fry rice until eggs harden up.

Corn/Wheat Free Shepherds Pie: (Serves ???)
    Ok, so this is going to sound kinda odd, but my wife is allergic to corn and wheat. As a consequence, I rarely use these two ingredients in my bulk foods, instead rice is my principle grain, however personally I can't stand white rice as anything more than an ingredient in a meal. As a consequence I use potato flakes to thicken broths into gravy. This especially important for shepherds pie:

2 Cups Meat (any chopped meat will do, steak, lamb, or even ground beef. I often use second-day steak)
    1 Cup Carrots (cubed)
    1 cup sweet onion (chopped)
    1/2 Cup Turnip or 1/4 cup radish
    1/2 cup peas
    Minced Garlic
    Kosher/Sea salt
    Fresh ground pepper
    2 Eggs
    1/2 cup potato flakes
    1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
    butter or oil
    6 cups prepared mashed potatoes (you can use flakes for this)

In a large frying pan melt butter, add onions, garlic and saute over low heat if using mushrooms, add them once the onions soften.
    Add peas, carrots and turnip and continue cooking, you may need to add some water to prevent it from drying out too much, you can also use broth.
    After about 5 minutes with the vegetables, add meat and 1 egg. Continue cooking until broth begins to form.
    Beat the other egg into the mashed potatoes, if you want something a bit more adventurous add shallots and celery to the potatoes. You can also add a bit of sharp cheddar.
    If gravy is too thin, add potato flakes to thicken it properly. Then pour meat/veggies into a baking pan and cover with mashed potatoes.
    Bake pie at 350F for 30-50 minutes or until potato topping is golden brown.

Corn Hominy Grit Desert: (Serves ???)
    Also, I should probably add one of my favorite desserts:

2 Cups Corn Hominy Grits
    5 Cups Water
    1 cup honey
    1 tablespoon salt
    4 tablespoons butter

Cook grits with water salt and butter, once it starts to thicken stir in the honey, and put in a pyrex baking dish, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes (until golden brown) and then refrigerate.

Cut into squares, serve cold with milk poured over the top.

Courtesy: Sgt Nambu

Crazy Cake: Serves (???)
    1.5C flour
    1C sugar
    3T cocoa
    1T vinegar
    1t soda
    6T oil
    .5t salt
    1t vanilla
    1C cold water
    Walnuts etc

In an ungreased 8X8 pan add the dry ingredients and mix with a fork. Add the wet ingredients and stir and smooth with the fork, adding walnuts.
    Bake in a preheated oven at 350deg untill a toothpick comes out clean. Frost when cool with canned milk, powdered sugar, and butter.

This is an old pioneer cake recipe. It is said to have been used on the Oregon Trail, my family has been using it for over a hundred years, It can be baked with the ingredients one would have on hand while on the march. No eggs! They would use lard if they had no butter. You should try this cake at home. It has a terrific taste and texture! Oh, my ancestors began adding nuts the twentys! Hence the name "Crazy Cake!"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Another thing that's worth noting, you can have two recipes... one that's made from fresh ingredients, another that's made from shelf-stable ingredients. For example my bean soup recipe:

Fresh Navy Bean Soup: (Serves 5-6)
    1lb White Navy Beans
    1 gal water
    1/2 cup onions (chopped)
    1/2 cup celery (chopped)
    1/2 cup carrots (coined)
    2 bay leaves
    1 ham shank
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Shelf Stable Navy Bean Soup: (Serves 5-6)
    1lb White Navy Beans
    5qt water
    1/2 cup dehydrated dried onions (minced)
    1/2 cup freeze celery (chopped)
    1/2 cup dehydrated carrots
    2 bay leaves
    2 cans spam (diced)
    Salt/Pepper to taste (reduce salt vs fresh recipe)

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Boil beans
    Boil rice
    Add dog, cat, squirrel or rat
    S&P to taste
    Tobasco if needed

A pretty garnish always helps!

4. AMProducts

Yellow Rice:

2 Cups White Rice
    4 cups water
    2 bullion cubes

Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 20 mins.

Yellow Rice stir-fry:

Take leftover yellow rice, add can of canned chicken, dehydrated onion, carrots, shallots, and 2 tablespoons of powdered eggs.

Combine onions, carrots, shallots and powdered eggs into a pan with 1/2 cup water over low heat. Continue heating until water is absorbed.

In frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and bring to heat. Add rice to oil and pour rehydrated veggies and eggs and while stirring frequently fry rice until eggs harden up.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  5. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

I'm still working on how to boil water without burning it.

1200bruce and (deleted member) like this.
  6. stratbastard

stratbastard eugene oregon Active Member

Way back in the day, my mom would make us chicken and rice, tuna and rice, all sortsa stuff which was easy to fix and very tasty. I plan on utilizing my stores of rice/beans/pasta just the same. I have laid in copious supplies of cream of mushroom/cream of chicken soup... canned, freeze dried, and dry stock from bulk food bins. In addition, cases of canned hams, canned ground beef, chicken, tuna... as well as freeze dried meats too. Boil up a boatload of rice, add a family sized can of cream of mushroom soup, mix in a couple cans of whatever meat suits you and you have a quick and very tasty hot meal. Makes your meat supplies last longer too.

7. Sgt Nambu

^^^^Might want to mix some vegetables in there, strat! Especially with salty foods and less liquids than you might normally have available. Gotta poo sometime, Dude!

8. AMProducts

Ok, so this is going to sound kinda odd, but my wife is allergic to corn and wheat. As a consequence, I rarely use these two ingredients in my bulk foods, instead rice is my principle grain, however personally I can't stand white rice as anything more than an ingredient in a meal. As a consequence I use potato flakes to thicken broths into gravy. This especially important for shepherds pie:

2 Cups Meat (any chopped meat will do, steak, lamb, or even ground beef. I often use second-day steak)
    1 Cup Carrots (cubed)
    1 cup sweet onion (chopped)
    1/2 Cup Turnip or 1/4 cup radish
    1/2 cup peas
    Minced Garlic
    Kosher/Sea salt
    Fresh ground pepper
    2 Eggs
    1/2 cup potato flakes
    1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
    butter or oil
    6 cups prepared mashed potatoes (you can use flakes for this)

In a large frying pan melt butter, add onions, garlic and saute over low heat if using mushrooms, add them once the onions soften.
    Add peas, carrots and turnip and continue cooking, you may need to add some water to prevent it from drying out too much, you can also use broth.
    After about 5 minutes with the vegetables, add meat and 1 egg. Continue cooking until broth begins to form.
    Beat the other egg into the mashed potatoes, if you want something a bit more adventurous add shallots and celery to the potatoes. You can also add a bit of sharp cheddar.
    If gravy is too thin, add potato flakes to thicken it properly. Then pour meat/veggies into a baking pan and cover with mashed potatoes.
    Bake pie at 350F for 30-50 minutes or until potato topping is golden brown.

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. AMProducts

Also, I should probably add one of my favorite desserts:

2 Cups Corn Hominy Grits
    5 Cups Water
    1 cup honey
    1 tablespoon salt
    4 tablespoons butter

Cook grits with water salt and butter, once it starts to thicken stir in the honey, and put in a pyrex baking dish, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes (until golden brown) and then refrigerate.

Cut into squares, serve cold with milk poured over the top.

10. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

I love cold oatmeal just like that.

11. stratbastard

stratbastard eugene oregon Active Member

I'll have them on the side, but yeah... veggies make up 50% of my diet.

12. Sgt Nambu

Crazy Cake
    1.5C flour
    1C sugar
    3T cocoa
    1T vinegar
    1t soda
    6T oil
    .5t salt
    1t vanilla
    1C cold water
    Walnuts etc

In an ungreased 8X8 pan add the dry ingredients and mix with a fork. Add the wet ingredients and stir and smooth with the fork, adding walnuts.
    Bake in a preheated oven at 350deg untill a toothpick comes out clean. Frost when cool with canned milk, vanilla, powdered sugar, and butter.

This is an old pioneer cake recipe. It is said to have been used on the Oregon Trail, my family has been using it for over a hundred years, It can be baked with the ingredients one would have on hand while on the march. No eggs! They would use lard if they had no butter. You should try this cake at home. It has a terrific taste and texture! Oh, my ancestors began adding nuts in the twentys! Hence the name "Crazy Cake!"

PS:Reminds me to buy/rig a reflector oven or what passes for low tech ovens these days.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    AMProducts and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Sgt Nambu

I'm going to let you folks google "Ongiri" Japanese rice balls. Really easy but the instructions are just too long to type now. We carried a few when patrolling and I have eaten Laotian rice balls at lunch, provided by my coworkers. I think most Asian cultures have some sort of portable rice balls.

Try Easy Korean Rice balls by kfoodaddict on Utube.

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.