Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Prepper Rifle Marksmanship Training - Project AppleSeed

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by 7SFCW4, Feb 23, 2015.

1. 7SFCW4

7SFCW4 Out and About, Oregon Active Member

Good Morning, I wanted to send a shout out to the Oregon/Idaho/Washington "Project Appleseed" teams. I had the pleasure of spending this last weekend with these fine instructors for an "Instructor Boot Camp" held in Southern WA State. To a person, these men and women were a dream team of rifle marksmanship and American History instructors. Not Range Safety Officer nit pickers, INSTRUCTORS. If you have ever thought about taking some formal training, or have looked for formal training for your family, you should consider the Appleseed Project. As a retired SF Warrant Officer, I was amazed and a little bit intimidated by what I had mentally misplaced around the subject. Time for some refresher training for yours truly.

Check out the schedule in your area or toss everyone in the car and make a mini-vacation out of it.

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php

Excellent instruction from professional rifle marksmanship instructors. No condescending attitudes, no grumbling, no disdain, just two days of darn good training at a price anyone can afford.

2. woodrat

woodrat SW WA state Member

I can back that up. I've been to two, and the instruction was excellent, much better than I expected. Great people, great attitudes, and great instruction. I learned a lot, and even shot a rifleman score once. I would have gone to more, but the 22 ammo shortage tripped me up.

kenjo and Kimber Custom like this.
  3. kenjo

kenjo Washougal Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

22 ammo is starting to show up more, so if you can get some there is an Appleseed scheduled at the Stevenson range March 7-8. Here's the schedule for upcoming WA events: http://appleseedusa.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=WA&statename=Washington

4. woodrat

I'm thinking of going to the KD shoot in March, actually. I built an AR with that in mind, just need to see if I can get the time free to go. And fortunately, I ordered 400 rounds of ammo before this latest scare about the AR ammo getting banned. I noticed at cabela's this AM way less 223 than usual, and higher prices than last week, too.

I finally started seeing 22 in the past few months, but I don't like to shoot very much of it unless I know I can replace it quickly. It does seem to be getting a little better, though.

Kimber Custom likes this.
  5. 7SFCW4

Good Morning Woodrat, if possible, see if you can find some 55grain ball and shy away from 62 grain steel core .223 for sighting in that new AR. The AppleSeed events are primarily focused on a two day format, if that is not possible for your situation, hitting it hard on Saturday may get you some great instruction, trigger time and whet your appetite to return for a full weekend of instruction and shooting.

A bad day at the AppleSeed is better than a good day of doing Honey Do's around the homestead!

Keep an eye on this as well

www.gunbot.net

6. kenjo

kenjo Washougal Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

FYI--Check with Kimber Custom on this forum, but I believe the M855 green tip is not allowed on the Douglas Ridge range.

7. woodrat

No, the green tip is not allowed at that range. I bought some Remington 62 grain that is not the green tip. There's still 55 grain around, but I though that the 62 might be a little better for longer ranges.

Kimber Custom likes this.
  8. Prescott

Prescott Sherwood, OR New Member

55 grain works great out to 400 yards, that is what I used at the last KD event. Heavier bullets are really only needed if you want to carry out to 600 yards +

9. 7SFCW4

The steel core 62 grain stuff will, most likely, not yield you the accuracy potential for setting up zero, or record fire purposes that you are looking for. Granted, if you are using a Military 25 yard scenario, it will most likely NOT be a factor in accuracy. Sierra Match King, Berger, Nosler, Hornday, etc...are all lead (GMX) core for a reason. Consistency. If you want max accuracy and your gun is set up for that (twist rate, trigger, etc...), the 68grain and above (which ever your set up will feed reliably) will most often yield superior accuracy (as relates to .223 only).

If you really want to go off the reservation, take a look at the true multiple ogive bullets from SMK, BERGER, and others. Now, those have potential. When it comes down to shooting ping pong balls at 300 meters or M&M's at 100 meters, the 175 grain SMK is light years beyond anyone elses 168 grain match projectile (IMHO).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    kenjo likes this.
  10. 7SFCW4

Analysis of the Berger 300 grain .338 multi ogive bullet

http://www.bergerbullets.com/update-regarding-the-338-hybrids/

As the folks at Berger noted, the potential for accuracy is effected by the velocity envelope of the projectile. Too slow or too fast will yield less than optimal performance.

Play your position, let the other guys play theirs.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  11. Harrytop

Harrytop Tangent Active Member

Great review, I've been thinking about going for awhile.

12. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Project Appleseed seems to live on two different forums here - this one and Strategies, Tactics, & Training

This thread seems to be most recent.

I signed up for The June 6/ 7 event at Douglas Ridge

The rifle I plan on shooting is a Modern Sporting Rifle. I do have access to a 22lr. Is it better for me, a plinker, to come Saturday with the 22 and use the centerfire for Sunday?
    Or, other than cost/availability of ammo, is it better to shoot he same rifle both days?

TIA

13. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Don't forget https://www.northwestfirearms.com/forums/project-appleseed.125/ :)

80% of rifle marksmanship can be learned at 25m using scaled targets and a .22. The fundamentals are the fundamentals are the fundamentals.

The other 20% are dealing with recoil, percussion and compensating for wind/gravity.

We will go through 400-500 rounds of ammunition. Using a .22 keeps your expenses down and gives you an opportunity to really master the skills without dealing with bucking, flinching or recoil. Shooting the center fire will improve your skill.

Sgt Nambu and kenjo like this.