JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get a dog! They don't like people sneaking into your house. Even a little yippy dog will do the trick. as long as it will bark.
802d011b38baea4f0267b0863932ee5f.jpg

Personally I think there is never a reason for open carry in the populated cities. All you're accomplishing with open carry is letting the bad guy see you're armed, allowing him to possibly disarm you before you can use your firearm, or scarring the timid and weak who fear anything gun related.
If you plan to be able to use your carry gun, you've lost the element of surprise if it's carried openly. Concealed carry leaves the bad guys unknowing as to who is or isn't carrying. We all look the same then, and they can't tell the sheep from the sheep dog. So unless I'm out in the woods fishing or hunting, I choose to keep my advantage of surprise, and wear my firearm concealed.
But at home where nobody has the advantage to see what I'm carrying until it's pointed at them, go ahead and open carry.

Maybe not that guy that dropped the gun at Walmart :D:D:D:D

Some things can't be fixed. Can't fix stupid, and can't fix a poor holster choice. I think all the guns that aren't dropped are a better example of how well concealed carry works. There are nearly 257,000 carry permits in Oregon alone currently. Seems like we rarely hear of incidents involving permit holders, so with this number I'd be inclined to say concealed carry is working very well.

Make sure your doors plates are reinforced with 6" stainless lag bolts: two per latch plate same diameter of original screws: have a pro do it if you are not familiar with electric wiring around your doors. It makes a big difference. You can get security laminate and pay someone to apply it for cheap, for low windows and glass doors. It buys you a good deal of time, it's surprisingly difficult to get into: most thieves give up before they can get through it. Also ensure your alarm system is functioning properly, if you live in a populated area you're probably best off having a system. Get door bars for weak doors or upgrade your doors. You can also get window and door security bars for a reasonable price for low windows and doors: installation can be pricy unless you have someone who can do it.

Have a personal defense plan, and ensure your guns are maintained and operational: and most importantly stored near you while you sleep in a safe manner. I suggest a quick access safe/gun rack. If you have guests, this is more important, if it's just you and responsible adults store in a responsible location near your sleeping area. If you're an active sleeper you may want to leave the chamber unloaded. Lock the doors compartmentalizing your home, and sleep with your bedroom door locked. Get a capable dog. Keep a spare set of keys in your room you can toss to the police out the window if they need to come in and deal with an intruder: just make sure they are in in fact police in uniform. Run drills at least once a month, just so you know how to react when you hear a smash in the middle of the night and you're still half asleep.

^^Great advice^^. Add a few things.

*Getting to know your neighbors and asking them to keep an eye out for you and you will for them is #1.

*When you run those screws into the strike plate where the door closes (they make beefed up plates, well worth the $) Add long screws to the hinges on the other side of the door as well. I rebuilt my weakest door frame with solid Oak as doug fir is so soft. The screw in both sides is going into doubled 4/4 old growth Oregon White Oak. I sleep better because of it.

*Consider adding a 2nd lock. The electronic locks in particular are awesome, easy to open. If you are going to be gone, kicking in or crowbaring a door open with 2 deadbolts is very hard, with a single deadbolt, much easier.

*Line of sight and motion lights are critical. Make sure that your plants next to your home won't allow a criminal to work on your window in darkness. Trim them up so that neighbors can see your home. (that won't work for most country folks, but worth considering). I put bars on my basement windows that are build into the frame. Painted white, they blend right in. A burglar has to move a recycle bin to the window and it's still nose high in order to break in. Which didn't stop one dude.

* Have your car keys and cell phone handy. Grabbing the house phone and calling 911 is OK, but when pursuing the criminal down the street who failed in their break-in attempt, you will be out of phone range and 911 wants to stay connected. This is doubly important if you are armed at the time.

"I'm hoping that most if not all the people reading this really do NOT want to look back on alll this having taken the life of someone that was hungry and desperate"
I don't want to take anybody's life whether hungry and desperate or vicious and greedy. OTOH whoever would assail me has failed Victim Selection 101, and I will hand out their Darwin Award with deepest regret.

WA State preparing to release some prisoners early.

snippet:

Gov. Jay Inslee and Corrections Secretary Steve Sinclair said Thursday the state is working to release some non-violent offenders from prison due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Inslee's announcement came less than a day after more than 100 inmates at the Monroe Correctional Complex 'revolted' when they learned six fellow inmates and five prison staff members all tested positive for the coronavirus.

Corrections officers used verbal orders, pepper spray and rubber pellets to get the demonstrators under control, but the inmates ignored those efforts, officials said. Both housing units were evacuated and the situation was under control soon afterward. No one was injured.

Here's the way I look at it.if some idiot breaks in when I am home they will get 6 ,9mm out of a sig p938, if that don't work they will get another 6, 9mm out of another Sig p938, if they are still standing they will get another 6, 40sw out of my Sig 229. If they are still standing I will help them load up my stuff.lol

Here's the way I look at it.if some idiot breaks in when I am home they will get 6 ,9mm out of a sig p938, if that don't work they will get another 6, 9mm out of another Sig p938, if they are still standing they will get another 6, 40sw out of my Sig 229. If they are still standing I will help them load up my stuff.lol
Now THAT'S how you do a NY reload!

Back in the old days it was perfectly legal to kill a man who tried stealing your horse, primarily due too the fact that a man without a horse was a death sentence for that man! I would hope the same rules would apply in these latter days, a man tries to steal your goods IE Food, money, Etc , those things are not easily replaced in a situation where the stores are running low on food/supplies and unemployment is at an all time high ! These things would be a death sentence for me due too the fact I'm diabetic, Etc. if a man takes my food that's almost an immediate death sentence for me if I run into a low blood sugar moment. I don't have time to screw around when numbers drop....

Agreed. However is NOT the case for Oregon, can't defend property using lethal force.

Unless it turns into a Martial law / WROL type situation, then that may differ.

Honestly hoping the situation does not devolve into a Martial law / WROL situation. As that's well beyond what most folks can imagine, truly could be horrific.

I figure we would live in a far more polite society if property COULD be defended using lethal force. As I've mentioned many times in the past, I'm not advocating such, and hope to never EVER shoot someone. Let alone take someone's life.

However the CHOICE of what & how we in Oregon can protect property has been chosen for us by others.

Hence my concern that "petty" property crimes will evolve to violent crimes. Particularly the longer the current situation continues, where minor crimes may not lead to consequences for the perpetrators.

If you trade all that in on a p227 you could give them. 5 Rds of 45 each with no reload and save yourself some time.

Last Edited:
Agreed. However is NOT the case for Oregon, can't defend property using lethal force.

Unless it turns into a Martial law / WROL type situation, then that may differ.

Honestly hoping the situation does not devolve into a Martial law / WROL situation. As that's well beyond what most folks can imagine, truly could be horrific.

I figure we would live in a far more polite society if property COULD be defended using lethal force. As I've mentioned many times in the past, I'm not advocating such, and hope to never EVER shoot someone. Let alone take someone's life.

However the CHOICE of what & how we in Oregon can protect property has been chosen for us by others.

Hence my concern that "petty" property crimes will evolve to violent crimes. Particularly the longer the current situation continues, where minor crimes may not lead to consequences for the perpetrators.

I could well be wrong, not having studied the subject a lot - BUT, if someone is stealing your stuff and you confront them, the thief has two choices - run, maybe with your stuff - or confront you. If they run with your stuff, not much you can do absent a big, willing dog. But if they decide to turn the petty property crime into a violent crime and confront you, game on. That's when you need to have a firm grasp of the law of self defense.

I could well be wrong, not having studied the subject a lot - BUT, if someone is stealing your stuff and you confront them, the thief has two choices - run, maybe with your stuff - or confront you. If they run with your stuff, not much you can do absent a big, willing dog. But if they decide to turn the petty property crime into a violent crime and confront you, game on. That's when you need to have a firm grasp of the law of self defense.

Agreed.

However in states which allow defense of property with use of lethal force, the legal bar is lowered immensely.

Whereas in states such as Oregon it would most likely be a MASSIVE legal quagmire.

Just a thought; if you get between them and the property, and they keep coming at you, can you not consider that they are a threat to your life (not just your property) and defend yourself?

I would assume if your on the northern I5. Corridor , You will be considered the bad guy .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top