JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The United States and the gun laws we have make us ALL PUSSIES in the sense of legalities.
The property we own IN, ON, AND AROUND that most have worked all their lives for, we are subjected to a forced stand-down, only to rely on verbiage of the law (who most of them currently don't give a rats azz, without concern, unless shots are fired or dire emergency) and knee-jerk attorneys ruled by our fearless 2A Demoralizing AG who has armed security and likely lives in a nice gated community.

We tout here on the forum how things are, and under the circumstances, how we need to deal with the situations, while we are told to stay in our homes, rather than take care of the issues of thieves and trespassers on or around our abodes.
I don't agree. The main reason to stay inside for most people is, that's what they can defend. Going outside where there might be a group, which most home invasions include, is harder to defend unless you go to ninja school, maybe.

I admit that most home invaders are dummies, druggies and otherwise losers but anyone can get lucky. Granted, my house isn't everyone's house but good luck making it upstairs at my place. As others have said, YMMV.

We are on a shared, private road. A few years ago the neighbors got together and installed a No Trespassing sign. It has been effective in keeping 'unknowns' away. Trespassing is only a misdemeanor where we are... but it gives Law Enforcement the legal right to stop individuals or a vehicle. If they are up to no good then it is probable that one of them has stolen goods, drugs, an outstanding warrant, or a weapon.

We selected this sign. It is large, metal, reflective, and comes pre-drilled with two holes. We sunk a post and mounted the sign to the post. I take a moment and wipe any dust off it a couple of times a year to ensure maximum visibility.

https://amzn.to/33V4Q8l

However, in the current world of COVID19 many Law Enforcement organizations may not respond to 'minor' events, or may not fingerprint and book the offender(s) for 'minor' events. I now carry at all times - trips to the store, doing yard work, etc.

I anticipate things will get financially worse for many people as we get deeper into the economic impacts of COVID19.

As others have posted, I also use cameras and motion detection lights. I have a few inexpensive little Wyze cameras placed around the house, set on window sills and facing outside. Anytime they detect movement, they start recording and send my phone an audible alarm (which wakes me up) that they detected something moving. Unfortunately they are not quite smart enough to discriminate between deer, dogs, cats and people, but I don't take any chances. At the same time, motion lights with the brightness of a supernova come on. If that doesn't spook em, I'm generally up, armed and investigating by then to protect my family and property. I have some pretty "aware" neighbors as well and would probably help me to defend as well as bury any bodies after the fact.......as long as I provide the beer that is.

Plus I have this guy....
IMG_5968.jpg

I have a dog, alarm system, cameras, motion sensor lights, signage on property indicating security system. I also have dead bolts and reinforced hinges on my bedroom doors to create a defensible position if there was a home invasion -- I don't believe in nor train for "clearing my house."

How you choose to design or rely on your perimeter protection can also be dependant
on your community. In urban Seattle, just off the I-5 and overlooking the Jungle (dense
population of homeless encampments) motion lights are frequently ignored. Kind of like
pigeons and crows feasting on downtown road snacks, they become accustomed to
and adapt to the environment. The RING doorbells provide false security as well so we're
noW seeing folks simply approaching the premises in hoodies...now, covid type masks...
and continuing to loiter at night when motion lights trigger.

I've had forced entry repelled a few years ago so I'm a little more cautious now.

Last Edited:
Having a firearm is fine for threats to your own life/safety, but if you want to prevent burglary just do a better job of locking up/hiding your stuff. Easy peasy. Criminals look for quick smash and grabs; don't make anything quick and easy for them.

Boy, on the news today they showed a huge line of vehicles in Pittsburg waiting to get items from a food bank. I did not like the look of that - tons of cars. What happens when food banks are empty?

Boy, on the news today they showed a huge line of vehicles in Pittsburg waiting to get items from a food bank. I did not like the look of that - tons of cars. What happens when food banks are empty?

That's why, if you are able, you should consider donating part or all of your Covid check to a food bank.
A lot of good people are getting hurt by this plague and if you are in a good spot financially like folks who are still working or who have guaranteed income etc., perhaps forego that new whatever and help out folks who really need it.

It looks like the looting is about to begin in Italy. It won't surprise me if we get some of that here with all the thinly manned and even empty businesses.

I live in a pretty good spot as it is basically towards end of a dead end street, so one way in and one way out. I also have multiple rigs that move around so you would have to put in some time to figure out when someone is not home. Even when were not home, one of the neighbors is between the work from homes and the retired peeps. We all have each others cell #'s. If you sit in a rig on my street long enough you will be rousted. I have run out some sketchy characters here and there as well as scared the bejesus out of a couple real estate people that were parked too long on my street. Cameras pretty well cover all access to my property. I have been known to pop out of my shop on the back of property open carrying and greet the wayward salesman or hawkers of religion as the step upon the porch of my house. Their spiel is usually quite abbreviated. And my dog, oh boy now, well he wouldn't bite a sandwich but he sounds the part, sometimes.

It looks like the looting is about to begin in Italy. It won't surprise me if we get some of that here with all the thinly manned and even empty businesses.

Hollywood/LA are already boarding up in the upscale retail areas.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top