JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live in a pretty unassuming house...... the average passer-by will never mistake me for having anything more than anyone else.

Old trailer in the driveway, loud bubblegum dogs barking at everything... car or two on the lawn. :D

Most importantly I was sure to talk to wife and kids to be sure no one talks at all about what we may or may not have in the house for such an occasion.

Im not any more concerned about random people breaking in now vs any other time.... its the friends and co-workers, etc who do not have anything prepared that are the problem.... its the "hey you have 100 rolls of tp, im out, can I get one" that becomes the camels nose under the tent...

First off, I know I'm speaking to (the choir) experienced people here.

In recent weeks in the Salem/Keizer area many residents with outdoor motion activated cameras are seeing an increase with groups of teenagers walking the streets in at O' dark thirty attempting to break into cars while others are attempting to obtain entrance into houses and apartments. In some cases this happens in the day time and have been confronted and when so act tough, stand there are stare at you. No virus we can get up close and personal, not with a virus and if they are not a present threat the firearm can not be drawn.

As times get worst with unemployment increasing and the average person or family in general have no monetary resources (cash) or food stashes they will seek out what those who "have" to steal from doing whatever it takes.

I'm never without a holstered firearm in my house with long guns at appropriate locations to defend my home. Not worried about what happens when leaving home as I'm currently working from home. Only concern is when sleeping at night.

With that said, what are your plans for when people are scavenging with the intent of unlawful entry and possibly bodily harm?

An alarm system that will wake you up if a do-bad comes into your house is a good idea.

Motion-activated lights are available and don't cost much. Between an alarm going off, and the lights coming on, you should have enough time to decide on your course of action.

Some alarm systems have a 'Panic Button' feature, and you can put several buttons throughout your house. That would send out a call for help ASAP, while you're getting your hands onto your weapon of choice.

Just be aware that the police/sheriff won't know if you're the do-bad or not. If they roll up to your place and you're patrolling your yard with a gun in hand, you might get shot. Just something to consider.

They're still waving at a distance though.
If it was @Boboclown , I hope so....

tenor.gif

I'm assuming you are serious here. If your response was meant as a joke, sorry, I missed it.

Since we are still at least notionally living under the rule of law, shooting first when there is no clear physical threat is extremely unwise, in my opinion. Doing so can be life changing for you, and not in a good way.

My situation is a lot like The Heretic, living out in the woods with space around us and a couple big dogs. About a year ago we had some suspicious characters driving up and parking on the gravel county road and "doing business" with various customers who would drive up, make the transaction, then turn around and leave.

Our neighbor who lives closest, eventually had had enough, so when the car arrived and parked, he walked out to talk to them open carrying his sidearm in a visible holster on his hip. He didn't get fifty feet from the car when they decided to leave, and they've never come back.

He made no threat to them, but simply approaching them while armed was enough to dissuade them from doing business nearby.
I liked the part about saluting the eagle.

Don't worry I miss my jokes too. In all seriousness when can and will you protect your property. When they are driving off with your car. Stealing, destroying, or if they see you are armed and come back with more because they think you must have something that's worth protecting. I'm sure there was and is a time when people respect people. Dumb is dumb. Post signs, show force do what you think will work. When it gets to that time which I hope it doesn't then hopefully we are all still posting on here and talking about the fun stuff.
"Things" can be replaced. If you draw a weapon, be prepared to use it. Think about that every day.

An alarm system that will wake you up if a do-bad comes into your house is a good idea.

Motion-activated lights are available and don't cost much. Between an alarm going off, and the lights coming on, you should have enough time to decide on your course of action.

Some alarm systems have a 'Panic Button' feature, and you can put several buttons throughout your house. That would send out a call for help ASAP, while you're getting your hands onto your weapon of choice.

Just be aware that the police/sheriff won't know if you're the do-bad or not. If they roll up to your place and you're patrolling your yard with a gun in hand, you might get shot. Just something to consider.
  • Have an alarm system - panic button, that's for the bad guy when I great him :cool:
  • My Bob dummy is also a deterrent, freaks people out big time
  • I've worked with LEO many times in different roles. I toss out a glow stick with house keys on it and announce who I'm. Got a bad guy at bay, my firearm is not in my hand, next to me with my hand on it, LEO arrives my hands go up, bad guy makes a move, hand to gun.

"Things" can be replaced. If you draw a weapon, be prepared to use it. Think about that every day.
Are you saying you think about it? Because I do more then everyday. I don't have to think about it. Things yes and no. People no, so I would rather they replace them then me.

Are you saying you think about it? Because I do more then everyday. I don't have to think about it. Things yes and no. People no, so I would rather they replace them then me.
Sounds like we're getting into the lawyer-ball weeds. I don't give legal advice. You may want to bring up your concerns with an actual attorney as this is not a legal forum.

My real world experiences are where I set my adrenaline aside, there when it's needed.
Most all confrontations, it's the other guys move before I'll make mine.
I remain calm and cool, adrenaline flowing, shakey inside, not froggy, but ready to snap.

OHmmm.

hug.png

Guard dog stuff?
No not really
More control stuff
My best friend lives in Ashland. His neighbor Invented some stuff you all would know. But need to keep that on the QT.
Anyways they went out and bought a German Sheperd, and dropped $50,000 on training. Took like 2 years. They'd leave the 1 year old out in the backyard with that dog. No worries there....

• Have an alarm system - panic button, that's for the bad guy when I great him :cool:
  • My Bob dummy is also a deterrent, freaks people out big time
  • I've worked with LEO many times in different roles. I toss out a glow stick with house keys on it and announce who I'm. Got a bad guy at bay, my firearm is not in my hand, next to me with my hand on it, LEO arrives my hands go up, bad guy makes a move, hand to gun.

Seems you're better prepared than most.

No not really
More control stuff
My best friend lives in Ashland. His neighbor Invented some stuff you all would know. But need to keep that on the QT.
Anyways they went out and bought a German Sheperd, and dropped $50,000 on training. Took like 2 years. They'd leave the 1 year old out in the backyard with that dog. No worries there....
He is our first Shepard, amazing dogs. His training is coming along really well, we got him at 8 weeks to the day. He's pushing 80 pounds plus, great with my 4 year old daughter

He is our first Shepard, amazing dogs. His training is coming along really well, we got him at 8 weeks to the day. He's pushing 80 pounds plus, great with my 4 year old daughter
Well welcome to the club! Our dog watches the kids, wife, home and I like a hawk. Pretty crazy how they operate. I've seen him several times cut them weiner dog off in the grass before he gets to close to the road. Does stuff like that a lot. Yes he's smarter then many adults

The United States and the gun laws we have make us ALL PUSSIES in the sense of legalities.
The property we own IN, ON, AND AROUND that most have worked all their lives for, we are subjected to a forced stand-down, only to rely on verbiage of the law (who most of them currently don't give a rats azz, without concern, unless shots are fired or dire emergency) and knee-jerk attorneys ruled by our fearless 2A Demoralizing AG who has armed security and likely lives in a nice gated community.

We tout here on the forum how things are, and under the circumstances, how we need to deal with the situations, while we are told to stay in our homes, rather than take care of the issues of thieves and trespassers on or around our abodes.

The United States Citizen is forced to live in fear of prosecution and imprisonment for protecting their lives and their property.
Everyone sit back, invite them in, give them some food, introduce them to your wife, your daughter, give them a tour of your abode, and be polite.
Tell them to help themselves and take what they need.

Have a Nice Day :)
It's much deeper than that.. 8 minutes and you'll see.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top