JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm assuming you are serious here. If your response was meant as a joke, sorry, I missed it.

Since we are still at least notionally living under the rule of law, shooting first when there is no clear physical threat is extremely unwise, in my opinion. Doing so can be life changing for you, and not in a good way.

My situation is a lot like The Heretic, living out in the woods with space around us and a couple big dogs. About a year ago we had some suspicious characters driving up and parking on the gravel county road and "doing business" with various customers who would drive up, make the transaction, then turn around and leave.

Our neighbor who lives closest, eventually had had enough, so when the car arrived and parked, he walked out to talk to them open carrying his sidearm in a visible holster on his hip. He didn't get fifty feet from the car when they decided to leave, and they've never come back.

He made no threat to them, but simply approaching them while armed was enough to dissuade them from doing business nearby.
Don't worry I miss my jokes too. In all seriousness when can and will you protect your property. When they are driving off with your car. Stealing, destroying, or if they see you are armed and come back with more because they think you must have something that's worth protecting. I'm sure there was and is a time when people respect people. Dumb is dumb. Post signs, show force do what you think will work. When it gets to that time which I hope it doesn't then hopefully we are all still posting on here and talking about the fun stuff.

Make your home uninteresting and unfriendly. Our cars are in the garage. There's nothing in or around the house worth stealing, except an old garden hose or two. Alarm sign in the driveway with a real alarm installed and working. Though, we're both home pretty much full time. Lots of nice bright LED lights, on all the time when it gets dark. We sleep with a window cracked and while people make fun of our herd of little dogs, they light up when they hear anything. They've alerted me properly when someone stuck their truck into my driveway. In this case it was a Clark PUD boom truck but they and I had a perfectly civil talk and I was told that they were chasing an outage. No harm, no problem. Remove any outside temptation, lots of lights, and eyes wide open. And be safe out there.....

We live in semi-pastoral equanimity, about 150' from the street to the house with the driveway being the only feasible entry way. Anybody approaching the house is likely to be noticed.
I don't think I would greet bogies with fixed bayonet unless I knew things had gone bad though.
Yeah, I pack at home.

Best thing to do is fight back not in the physical sense but with knowledge and assertiveness. Let them know that they've been seen and will be reported both to the law and their parents. Set up a neighborhood watch to observe, report and follow through. Basically refuse to be intimated or a victim. A self-defense class is always good for a confidence booster. Lastly I am armed most of the time but my firearm is only to be used in the absolute last resort. I don't flash it to scare ner-do-wells off or fire warning shots. I don't open carry like in an old western, ect.

Always with a smile

Happy.png

There will always be someone out there who wants your stuff...no matter what current environment.

Stay alert...
Lock your stuff up...
Do not make yourself look like a easy target....

Granted the above three bits are vague ...One does need to tailor them to fit their situation.
Speaking only for myself , not a whole lot has changed in my "defensive posture"...
Andy

Was thinking of posting some signs around the fence line:

WARNING!
You will have to cross several acres of open ground to reach anything you want to steal.
Before reaching those things you will be met by a well trained, highly proficient older gentleman accompanied by 5 large dogs and carrying the following:

1 AR15
1 44 magnum revolver
1 shovel

For your own safety, do not force him to use the shovel.

We live in semi-pastoral equanimity, about 150' from the street to the house with the driveway being the only feasible entry way. Anybody approaching the house is likely to be noticed.
I don't think I would greet bogies with fixed bayonet unless I knew things had gone bad though.
Yeah, I pack at home.

Whoa, wait a minute.... the bayonets are for opening cans. ;):s0140:

We have an alarm that we use when we're away. We do set when we go to bed so all of them sensors are armed except the motion sensors. Now when we're home we set the alarm at home now. I always carry a side arm, I have an AR near me now, and have several pairs of amplified gun mufflers In different rooms in our home.

An earliest memory of my father was a discussion he had with my mom about a problem with an carpenter employee. He said two things he can't tolerate is a liar and a thief. Those words still permeate my morals today. i don't remember the whole story but evidently the situation was driven through concern over his destitute family rather than evil deeds and as a result instead of being fired was allowed to make amends for his deeds along with the assistants of my father and maybe others. Besides gleaning some insight into morals from my father that day, his subsequent actions also taught me about about humility.

Desperate times breed desperate people. I definitely would want any shot fired from my gun to be a last resort in defense, least I killed a desperate person trying to keep his family alive. I could not condone their choice of actions, but if no physical harm was intended their death would leave an all consuming misery on me. I wouldn't loose much sleep over the rest.

An earliest memory of my father was a discussion he had with my mom about a problem with an carpenter employee. He said two things he can't tolerate is a liar and a thief. Those words still permeate my morals today. i don't remember the whole story but evidently the situation was driven through concern over his destitute family rather than evil deeds and as a result instead of being fired was allowed to make amends for his deeds along with the assistants of my father and maybe others. Besides gleaning some insight into morals from my father that day, his subsequent actions also taught me about about humility.

Desperate times breed desperate people. I definitely would want any shot fired from my gun to be a last resort in defense, least I killed a desperate person trying to keep his family alive. I could not condone their choice of actions, but if no physical harm was intended their death would leave an all consuming misery on me. I wouldn't loose much sleep over the rest.

If one has need of something they only need to ask, if I have it to spare I'll gladly GIVE it... although I suggest they don't try to TAKE it. ;)

My advise is to stay calm. Don't add to the panic that easily forms in high density areas.
Use common sense with securing your stuff as much as possible, but don't risk YOUR life with needless confrontation.

The place I'm living in (townhouse style condo) is completely undefendable... it's a paranoid's nightmare.

The best I can do is some security cams and to make this place look less appealing by by making neighboring condos more tempting targets... don't laugh.

I haven't cut down weeds in weeks. The deck needs staining and some rotted planks replaced... nope. I moved an old mattress (waiting for a full-truck dump run) outside, next to the garage. Nothing says poverty like soggy, old bedding leaning up against the house unless it's in the form of a non-functional appliance in the yard.

These are camoflalogical deterrents (pretty sure I just made up the word "comoflalogical") only, but will hopefully move a door-kicking tweaker to another location... maybe the prosperous-looking yard-proud fella down the street who sweeps his driveway every other day.

A couple of ARs got cleaned and lubed, today... also loaded and stashed. That only works if I am home.

The place I'm living in (townhouse style condo) is completely undefendable... it's a paranoid's nightmare.

The best I can do is some security cams and to make this place look less appealing by by making neighboring condos more tempting targets... don't laugh.

I haven't cut down weeds in weeks. The deck needs staining and some rotted planks replaced... nope. I moved an old mattress (waiting for a full-truck dump run) outside, next to the garage. Nothing says poverty like soggy, old bedding leaning up against the house unless it's in the form of a non-functional appliance in the yard.

These are camoflalogical deterrents (pretty sure I just made up the word "comoflalogical") only, but will hopefully move a door-kicking tweaker to another location... maybe the prosperous-looking yard-proud fella down the street who sweeps his driveway every other day.

A couple of ARs got cleaned and lubed, today... also loaded and stashed. That only works if I am home.
I've lived in townhouses, I wouldn't say their completely indefensible.
Other than the obvious (have firearms and know how to use them) - Reinforce your doors, add lights, cameras, and alarm system.
Your 85% there IMO.

GOOD IDEA on making the outside look poor

Honestly the data does not support your conclusion, at least during normal times.

A well kept well lit clean property with alarm signs are your best deterant.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top