JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off, I know I'm speaking to (the choir) experienced people here.

In recent weeks in the Salem/Keizer area many residents with outdoor motion activated cameras are seeing an increase with groups of teenagers walking the streets in at O' dark thirty attempting to break into cars while others are attempting to obtain entrance into houses and apartments. In some cases this happens in the day time and have been confronted and when so act tough, stand there are stare at you. No virus we can get up close and personal, not with a virus and if they are not a present threat the firearm can not be drawn.

As times get worst with unemployment increasing and the average person or family in general have no monetary resources (cash) or food stashes they will seek out what those who "have" to steal from doing whatever it takes.

I'm never without a holstered firearm in my house with long guns at appropriate locations to defend my home. Not worried about what happens when leaving home as I'm currently working from home. Only concern is when sleeping at night.

With that said, what are your plans for when people are scavenging with the intent of unlawful entry and possibly bodily harm?

I live on a mountain in the boonies. No teens wandering around here (all kids are college age now) and when there were they were one of the 8 families that live on my private road - so no worries there. The only wanderers are coyotes, cougars, bears, deer, a very large porcupine, racoons and mice. I hate the mice - they are the troublemakers - they steal and make a mess - unfortunately I can't shoot them when they are inside the house so I rely on spring traps, glue traps and poison.

I've taken the precaution of locking my propane tanks together, and the one in the grill to the grill itself. Keep other items, including cars, in the garage with reinforced man door. Also have motion-sensor lights and a dog that barks at everything. Not much else to do unless you're an independently wealthy night owl...

Shoot first. No questions later. If it's your property I believe you have a right to protect it. Never know with all the political backdoor bs going on. Maybe in your neighborhood start posting signs and in the evening you and your neighbors shoot off some warning shots.
Exception: chickens, when a bald eagle attacks all I can do is cry fowl and salute the dang bird.

Whatever you say on a public forum can be used against you in a court of law. Keep your head on a swivel, but above all keep your head if others are loosing theirs.

Shoot first. No questions later. If it's your property I believe you have a right to protect it. Never know with all the political backdoor bs going on. Maybe in your neighborhood start posting signs and in the evening you and your neighbors shoot off some warning shots.
Exception: chickens, when a bald eagle attacks all I can do is cry fowl and salute the dang bird.
Quite sure that you can't introduce force to protect property only. Bodily threat must be present, but I'm far from an expert and would love to hear from others. Laterally, in Portland right now if you don't have "no trespassing" signs visibly posted, anyone caught on your property cannot be charged with trespassing. I've heard that from than one PPB officer.

(At the risk of appearing braggadocios, those few here that personally know me can attest that the following is legit).....

I have controlled access points to my property and you WILL trip flood lights and cameras at night.... SMILE, you're on 1080P cameras that can see in the dark!!

Aside from havIng a side arm (of one sort or another) on me at almost all times (hey I have to shower once in a while) I have a pretty capable and thorough home defense plan that would cause the strongest "young bull" to draw his testicles straight up into his throat and sit down to pee for a week with shaking knees.

I have these bosses ready for deployment.... we don't worry about reloading them, we just pick up a fresh one. There's 33 rounds of OO-buck between them. :D
B3E74405-AD97-4693-9332-05C101794EE8.jpeg

This one alone is ghost-loaded with 9 rounds of OO-buck ;)
97BB29FA-733D-456B-9770-A457455B1802.jpeg

And it has an amazingly blinding strobe-light mounted to it.
96473493-2A3C-403A-8C8B-B59E10B82770.jpeg

Then there's the cantankerous "twins" that aren't known to take crap from anyone (fresh after their monthly bath)
0022BA4C-0CA2-4C9C-8A60-4464DEEA975E.jpeg

Anyway, that's some of the options I have just in my bedside safe... there's two more full of other goodness in other parts of the house and property. I also have a few "striking" weapons available.

I despise thieves and thugs almost as much as politicians and lawyers. Roving gangs of teenaged thugs, or zombie scavengers... I got it covered. ;)

Keeping gates locked. Spreading supplies to different out buildings so if I get robbed will not lose everything using cameras and sensors. I have pretty good neighbors so that helps
been putting these up on my property

3E66BBCB-86EF-4065-8416-2F1A452CA518.jpeg

I'm assuming you are serious here. If your response was meant as a joke, sorry, I missed it.

Since we are still at least notionally living under the rule of law, shooting first when there is no clear physical threat is extremely unwise, in my opinion. Doing so can be life changing for you, and not in a good way.

My situation is a lot like The Heretic, living out in the woods with space around us and a couple big dogs. About a year ago we had some suspicious characters driving up and parking on the gravel county road and "doing business" with various customers who would drive up, make the transaction, then turn around and leave.

Our neighbor who lives closest, eventually had had enough, so when the car arrived and parked, he walked out to talk to them open carrying his sidearm in a visible holster on his hip. He didn't get fifty feet from the car when they decided to leave, and they've never come back.

He made no threat to them, but simply approaching them while armed was enough to dissuade them from doing business nearby.

I hate the mice - they are the troublemakers - they steal and make a mess

I just had the toughest time with some pack rats getting into our coup. I finally found a spot where my live traps started working.(tried several spots where they didn't give a crap and ignored it). Also found a spot where they started eating my poison. Caught three adult rats and a handful of babies, and a ton of field mice. Useda pellet gun to dispatch them.

Finally got rid of them last week and haven't caught anything in a while now so I think they are taken care of. Now I'm catching these shrew looking things under my house.

Predators stay away from our property so well they didn't even come to claim the rats. Must be all the noise I make with gunfire.

As for what I do for home protection. I try and deter criminal activity with barriers. I try and detect criminal activity with motion sensitive day/night cameras. And of course attempt to have the ability to defend your life if it's threatened.

We also have bear spray... It's important to have non lethal deterents too. Oh and fire extinguishers all over the place.

You can turn something into an ice cream Sundae as a non lethal deterent too... And it helps with fires

(At the risk of appearing braggadocios, those few here that personally know me can attest that the following is legit).....

I have controlled access points to my property and you WILL trip flood lights and cameras at night.... SMILE, you're on 1080P cameras that can see in the dark!!

Aside from havIng a side arm (of one sort or another) on me at almost all times (hey I have to shower once in a while) I have a pretty capable and thorough home defense plan that would cause the strongest "young bull" to draw his testicles straight up into his throat and sit down to pee for a week with shaking knees.

I have these bosses ready for deployment.... we don't worry about reloading them, we just pick up a fresh one. There's 33 rounds of OO-buck between them. :D
View attachment 676372

View attachment 676375

View attachment 676374

Then there's the cantankerous "twins" that aren't known to take crap from anyone (fresh after their monthly bath)
View attachment 676397

Anyway, that's some of the options I have just in my bedside safe... there's two more full of other goodness in other parts of the house and property. I also have a few "striking" weapons available.

I despise thieves and thugs almost as much as politicians and lawyers. Roving gangs of teenaged thugs, or zombie scavengers... I got it covered. ;)
One would think you would have land mines and claymores out there with that arsenal.

Punji traps. Setup all your weapons on tripod mounts and just keep the curtains open.

View attachment 676372

View attachment 676375

View attachment 676374

View attachment 676397

I too, like you, have to shower sometimes....;) IMG_1129.jpg

I guess I'm pretty lucky to live where I live. My neighborhood hasn't changed much over the last month. Other than more people staying inside than usual. No uptick in crime or roaming teens.

My whole housing complex, was built with ring cameras pre installed in all the houses. So I think that's a nice deterrent as well. Most have added cameras to this system other than the doorbell ones.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top