JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, rain arrives Friday afternoon.

I am trying to get as much firewood cut/split/stacked as I can before then. I am doing okay with the cutting and transporting it to my patio, but splitting/stacking is falling behind. I would like to get 4 cords done by Friday. Last year I ran out by January with two cords, but by the first week of October I was already using firewood to heat the house, whereas this year I won't be using the woodstove until the last week of October.

We'll see how cold it gets this winter.
I have 8 cords of wood and plan on burning 4 a year, some years less. I've got it all stacked and just need to tarp it. Generally I figure it'll rain from Halloween until the 4th of July. I know it doesn't rain steady for 8 months but it can and even when it's just cold and damp a fire in the wood stove feels pretty nice.

I have 8 cords of wood and plan on burning 4 a year, some years less. I've got it all stacked and just need to tarp it. Generally I figure it'll rain from Halloween until the 4th of July. I know it doesn't rain steady for 8 months but it can and even when it's just cold and damp a fire in the wood stove feels pretty nice.
My back is starting to give me problems, the splitting/stacking part of the process is becoming a bottleneck, so I am going to stack any rounds not already unloaded in my shop. I should wind up with 3 cords in the covered patio and the rest in the shop - at least one or two more cords, depending on how much more cutting I get done before it is too muddy to go back there.

More and more people on this 3rd Rock from the Sun. Water is like dirt ... we aint makin more of it! But ... we keep makin more mouths that need it. Pretty simple math if you ask me.
i live in Elko NV. The house that we bought has 2 pretty good sized lawns. After seeing some $300+ water bills this summer, we are definitely covering at least the front yard with rock. I'd like to put fake grass in the backyard.
I have a rental house out in the boonies. Everyone out there is on a well. My well is pretty good (300 gals in 30 mins and it never dropped), but who knows how long that will last? I want to also cover those lawns with rock.

There truly is only so much to use. Where do we put our priority? Drinking, and food production are my votes.

More and more people on this 3rd Rock from the Sun. Water is like dirt ... we aint makin more of it! But ... we keep makin more mouths that need it. Pretty simple math if you ask me.
It would seem that most people would get that X+1 == less water per person, but every time I point that out it is like they have their head buried in the sand.

i live in Elko NV. The house that we bought has 2 pretty good sized lawns. After seeing some $300+ water bills this summer, we are definitely covering at least the front yard with rock. I'd like to put fake grass in the backyard.
Unfortunately, where I live, nothing is going to keep the grass from growing 9 months out of the year, and for 3 months that grass is going to be so dry it will be like dry pampas grass if a spark hits it.

Safety tip: remove cats before burning your pampas grass:

I have a rental house out in the boonies. Everyone out there is on a well. My well is pretty good (300 gals in 30 mins and it never dropped), but who knows how long that will last? I want to also cover those lawns with rock.

There truly is only so much to use. Where do we put our priority? Drinking, and food production are my votes.
👍

Hey gents,
As a Boat Guy, I just figured if TSHTF I would hop on a boat big enough to do what I needed. However, I saw this display at the International Boat Show yesterday and even though its intended use is for day-sailors intending to go out a bit longer, the fact that it is completely portable and works off 12-volts DC is pretty nifty. the photo I took (and attached0 is of theri demonstration. The watermaker itself is completely self-contained in the pelican case and they are running it off one of those battery power centers. I think you can see enough of the company name in the photo to look it up. They sell a companion battery also, but they did not have any on hand. capacity is "up to 14 Gal/Hr". All dependent on salinity, condition of water, condition of ceramic filter/membrane. It is an R-O style unit.

I had to shrink it down to attach. Just in case..

Portable 12v Water Maker.jpg

If one has been following the trends in the west concerning water, it may be alarming and prompt change in life plans and/or preps. (There is another thread on the topic, but I didn't want to derail someone else's. And this one is to focus on specific preparations, rather general discussion.)

• "Millions of drinking wells around the world may soon be at risk of running dry. Overpumping, drought and the steady influence of climate change are depleting groundwater resources all over the globe, according to new research. As much as 20% of the world's groundwater wells may be facing imminent failure, potentially depriving billions of people of fresh water." — Harvey, C. (2021, April 27). "Millions of groundwater wells could run dry. "Scientific American. Retrieved November 7, 2021, from https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/millions-of-groundwater-wells-could-run-dry/.
  • "The western United States is suffering from perhaps the most widespread and severe drought in recent history. As of early July, more than 98 percent of the American West was suffering from drought, with more than 80 percent in severe drought or worse. Extreme heat has struck several times since June, breaking records throughout the region and putting more than 20 million people under heat warnings from Canada to Mexico. Portland, Oregon broke a new record high of 115 degrees Fahrenheit; Seattle set a new record high of 108." — "Dying from the heat." Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. (2021, July 16). Retrieved November 7, 2021, from https://thebulletin.org/2021/07/dying-from-the-heat/
  • "Along the Oregon-California border in the Klamath Basin, taps are running dry. Federal officials decided not to divert water from a lake to farmers and ranchers after a year with little rain or snow. From Jefferson Public Radio, April Ehrlich reports that now businesses and homes are competing for precious little groundwater ..." — Ehrlich, A. (2021, August 27). Wells are running dry after farms and homes in Oregon compete for water. NPR. Retrieved November 7, 2021, from https://www.npr.org/2021/08/27/1031...hern-oregon-farms-and-homes-compete-for-water.
  • "Aquifers provide us freshwater that makes up for surface water lost from drought-depleted lakes, rivers, and reservoirs. We are drawing down these hidden, mostly nonrenewable groundwater supplies at unsustainable rates in the western United States and in several dry regions globally, threatening our future." — Dimick, D. (2021, May 3). "If you think the water crisis can't get worse, wait until the aquifers are drained." National Geographic. Retrieved November 7, 2021, from https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ter-california-drought-aquifers-hidden-crisis.
Queries:

• The trends in mind, what are you, or will you, do on an individual or family level to meet this challenge?
  • What practical steps, preparations, and equipment acquisitions do you have in mind?
  • Are there any books or other literature you have found helpful?
  • If implemented or planning systems to capture, store, and purify large amounts of water, what is being used and how is it going? On the other hand, what didn't work?
  • If a relocation from your present location is something you have planned or are contemplating, how much does the water situation factor in to the planning?
  • With the possibility of migrations and social unrest due to the aforementioned, how do you plan on addressing said? How do you see it shaking out?
Thanks for sharing.
Buy a Berkey w/xtra filters. Have a water reserve, 350 gallons. Replace annually or preserve with chemicals for longer duration. What else can you do?!

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top