JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just remember how much of that water is used to grow produce in California…. I can see that impacting the supply/price if fresh produce.

I still question why California doesn't invest more heavily in desalination plants, they've got the biggest reservoir right there, the Pacific Ocean…
Within a given area, the amount of water used by agriculture is mainly determined by three things, acres under cultivation, type of crop, and efficiency of irrigation. If none of these three variables change, the amount of water used should remain close to constant. If acreage is increased, or a crop requiring more water is introduced, the only way to keep water use constant is irrigation efficiency to improve.

Unless more acreage is being irrigated from the Colorado, or thirstier crops have been introduced, it is unlikely that agriculture is responsible for the large increase in water diversion from the Colorado. The likely reason is population growth. That is a known number. The Southwest has been living on borrowed time, and when they can't get enough water from their normal sources, they will look for water to take from those who have water.

Within a given area, the amount of water used by agriculture is mainly determined by three things, acres under cultivation, type of crop, and efficiency of irrigation. If none of these three variables change, the amount of water used should remain close to constant. If acreage is increased, or a crop requiring more water is introduced, the only way to keep water use constant is irrigation efficiency to improve.

Unless more acreage is being irrigated from the Colorado, or thirstier crops have been introduced, it is unlikely that agriculture is responsible for the large increase in water diversion from the Colorado. The likely reason is population growth. That is a known number. The Southwest has been living on borrowed time, and when they can't get enough water from their normal sources, they will look for water to take from those who have water.
80% of the water California consumes from the Colorado basin goes to agricultural needs…. I stand by my previous statement(s).

AA24E587-5D80-4C2D-B975-F36A9D670631.png

"The Southwest has been living on borrowed time, and when they can't get enough water from their normal sources, they will look for water to take from those who have water." Says @Provincial says

Not only take from, but for now, at least for California, it is, or will be a cash cow, as they are, or will, or are thinking of, (obviously I'm not sure of the facts) going to charge folks who have a well, for all the water they use!!!!!
Will soon to come also be for the carbon they exhale? I mean, if cows are now environmentally dangerous, just about anything is on the table?

80% of the water California consumes from the Colorado basin goes to agricultural needs…. I stand by my previous statement(s).

View attachment 1252300
If agriculture is using more Colorado water, then either the acreage has gone up, or the crops are being irrigated more. Or both.

Which leads to the question: Is Colorado water being sent to the Central Valley? The Sierra snowpack is declining, and there has not been enough water there to go around. Inter-basin transfers complicate tracking of water use.

Last year the head waters of the Deschutes River, Little Lava Lake, had no discharge. Dry river bed! This is the main source of water for Wickiup. Several reporters for the Bend Bulletin wrote articles about the dry Wickiup Reservoir but would not touch the fact that the head waters were dry. Not even a moist mud puddle.

Foreverlost,

According to my local weather guessers, winter arrives this weekend.
Well, rain arrives Friday afternoon.

I am trying to get as much firewood cut/split/stacked as I can before then. I am doing okay with the cutting and transporting it to my patio, but splitting/stacking is falling behind. I would like to get 4 cords done by Friday. Last year I ran out by January with two cords, but by the first week of October I was already using firewood to heat the house, whereas this year I won't be using the woodstove until the last week of October.

We'll see how cold it gets this winter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads