JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, that's a good way to start a panic. I can't say I agree with just about anything he says in that article. If you're not already prepared, it's probably already too late. Honestly, I think his admonition to start pulling money and buy like crazy is foolish at best. There may be a few that could afford to do that, but many can't. And bearing in mind that people still need to make their bills, getting yourself deep in debt before anything has even happened is a dangerous thing to encourage folks to do.

That said, it fits in with my belief that if Hillary wins, there will be a panic, it just remains to be seen how bad the panic may be.

I, for one, won't be doing any panic buying. No need.

I'm stocked up. I have what I need. I'm not concerned about prices going up. I'm more concerned about laws that will make gun ownership difficult. Laws banning what I already legally own. Laws that lead to forced surrender of guns, or gun parts. That's what I think the anti-gun nuts will go for.

I, for one, won't be doing any panic buying. No need.

TRANSLATION: "I got mine and to Hell with everyone else."

Great arrogant, smug and condescending post, etrain16.

Others (of us!) feel that the more members of our tribe (especially the newbies!) that are aware of what may be coming and the better prepared they are for it, the better off our whole tribe will be. It's information and advice, not a commandment. Take heed or not as prudence dictates.

You obviously have a different outlook.

And anyone who says there won't be a buying panic if Cankles gets elected is seriously deluded.

TRANSLATION: "I got mine and to Hell with everyone else."

Great arrogant, smug and condescending post, etrain16.

Others (of us!) feel that the more members of our tribe (especially the newbies!) that are aware of what may be coming and the better prepared they are for it, the better off our whole tribe will be. It's information and advice, not a commandment. Take heed or not as prudence dictates.

You obviously have a different outlook.

And anyone who says there won't be a buying panic if Cankles gets elected is seriously deluded.

Wow, completely unnecessary attack on my person - not sure what's got you fired up today, but dial it back a bit o_O

You obviously failed to really read my post, because you clearly missed what I said, and I quote: "That said, it fits in with my belief that if Hillary wins, there will be a panic, it just remains to be seen how bad the panic may be." Where the heck did you get the idea that I don't think there will be a panic? In fact, I have said it in numerous other threads in the past weeks.

That I say I won't participate in a panic is not smug, arrogant or condescending. In fact, how the heck is it smug, arrogant or condescending if someone says they have prepared and don't need to panic? Isn't that something we should celebrate rather than tear down? Dude, get over yourself for a moment and realize that some folks simply won't participate in such things. I have limited resources and I'm not going to start dumping them down the drain because someone tells me to. I still have mortgage payments to make. I still have a family to take care of. And for that reason, I think that anyone that suggests people suddenly should sink everything they have into panic buying is being very short sighted and is guilty of encouraging poor judgment.

I'm sorry you don't see it that way, but attacking me does no one any good. If you agree it's a good idea to go into panic mode, go ahead, that's your call. I will neither encourage or participate in it. That's all I said. Any other spin you put on that statement is 100% on your side of things. So, keep your "translation" of what I'm saying to yourself. You don't know me, and jumping on me over a single thread post hardly shows good judgment.

By the way, many of us here, myself included, have been encouraging others for years to buy and get ready for what may come in the way of new laws and restrictions. I simply disagree with suggesting folks do themselves financial harm now if they didn't heed the advice many of us have given for years now.

Honestly, are you really that bothered by people who's opinions differ from your own?

Last Edited:
More than anything just being prepared for a what if scenario makes sense...just do it as you can afford it. I think my preparations are more geared to a natural disaster and being able to make it for up to 30 days w/o power & potentially water in an earthquake occurs. I'm a novice at best so any info I can find I've been reading.

More than anything just being prepared for a what if scenario makes sense...just do it as you can afford it. I think my preparations are more geared to a natural disaster and being able to make it for up to 30 days w/o power & potentially water in an earthquake occurs. I'm a novice at best so any info I can find I've been reading.

Agreed. I'm putting efforts into building up supplies, etc. for a variety of situations, with the Cascadia Quake being probably our worst case scenario in this area. We still have a long way to go, but we're doing it little bits at a time as funds allow. Part of that includes personal safety/defense, so that's been part of the strategy for some time as well, which is why I personally don't feel the need to panic over these things. I'm still very worried about what Hillary will do, but I don't have to start from square one, and I'm thankful for that.

I'm reminded of the panic that came back in 1998-99 and all the folks that thought that the world would end on Jan 1, 2000 when the computers all shut down and we would be cast into the dark ages. I know people that virtually bankrupt themselves buying things like chemical toilets, shelters, 50 years worth of food for 4 people, etc. In the end, it turned out to be a big flop, and they found themselves barely able to pay even simple bills - generated by those computers that never shut down o_O.

I am all for preparation, but I will stop short of encouraging panic. Be prepared, and look ahead so you don't have to panic. For those that haven't done anything so far, well, I feel for them, but again, I won't encourage poor decisions as a result.

Just In Case: Preparing for the Evening and Day After Election 2016

Just In Case: Preparing for the Evening and Day After Election 2016

I'd post the text here, but the original article has a number of live links in it that are very handy.

Remember: It's too late to prep after the event.

So. Just wait and Partake in the panic? :s0153:

That's not ''Preparing''.
That's ''Postparing''!

Not sure if that's even a word?
But it's a darn foolish way to get what you need. Not to mention expensive! :s0054:

Last Edited:
Dogs and cats, living together - mass hysteria!

There is always panic buying before, and immediately after an election. It makes me think the anit-gunners own stock in the ammo companies!
Remember 75 cents per round 5.56 a couple years back? And the proposed "ban" on standard capacity magazines and $40 P-mags?
Always prepare , yes. But "stuff" isnt where your money should be going. Learn something. Train. Take some classes. That's where the real value is.

Dogs and cats, living together - mass hysteria!

There is always panic buying before, and immediately after an election. It makes me think the anit-gunners own stock in the ammo companies!
Remember 75 cents per round 5.56 a couple years back? And the proposed "ban" on standard capacity magazines and $40 P-mags?
Always prepare , yes. But "stuff" isnt where your money should be going. Learn something. Train. Take some classes. That's where the real value is.

Good point!

And get in shape too. :D

Aside from the firearm issue (Hillary's intent to ban/confiscate them) which might come to pass, I don't expect much of a panic after the election. Hillary is the Establishment candidate (for both sides, if you believe what some are saying), so if she wins things will largely continue as before.

What that means to me is that outrageous gov't power grabs and spending will continue apace, setting the table for a major financial collapse and extreme civil unrest in the relatively near future. THAT will be when the SHTF.

Prepare for that eventuality. Don't panic over a stupid election (my opinion).

Day after the election I go to work gripe (or celebrate )about the election and wonder if I will get in any OT that week. I'll wish I had more time to work on my Willys Jeep Project and maybe think about how to stretch the budget enough to buy the wife a new EDC pistol (most likely wait until Tax return time) as far as running out and buying a bunch more what ever we keep at least a month of food in the house at all times just general panty and freezer stuff. As to the idea I would need more ammo or firearms well thats just silly. Not that I don't sympathize with others but the majority of the firearms that would be on her target list have no interest to me so I don't need to buy up any before they might be restricted in some way (I fully support anyones choice in what ever type of firearm they want to own). The stuff I dream about are 100 year old Winchesters and Custom hunting rifles maybe a few odd ball handguns.

I have more then enough reloading supplies to last me well past the end of my life and more then a few firearms to use it in. I have been reloading for 48 years now you tend to collect up stuff over that length of time.

Until the Willys is done I won't be buying anything along the lines of stocking up. The Willys does a very good job of sucking every extra buck I have right out of my pocket.

Thankfully we are "prepared" ahead of time. It is always prudent to have supplies on hand regardless of the political landscape or any other potential disaster for that matter.

My grandpa used to say... "get what you can, can what you get and sit on the lid"

So. Just wait and Partake in the panic? :s0153:

That's not ''Preparing''.
That's ''Postparing''!

Not sure if that's even a word?
But it's a darn foolish way to get what you need. Not to mention expensive! :s0054:

Most of us were on top of this game a long time ago. That 10/24 announcement was way too late in my opinion. L

Most of us were on top of this game a long time ago. That 10/24 announcement was way too late in my opinion. L

Many are not on top of this game, and are new to shooting. Decent advice in the link:

-Have a primary long gun & stock up for it.
-Have a primary handgun & stock up for it.
-Buy secondary spares (completes &/or lowers &/or parts to build).

The bad advice IMO is on waiting until election night & the morning after if you have needs to fill. If you have needs to fill, shop around & fill them.

The advice to stock up on magazines for the possibility of resale later? Dunno about that...but that advice is at least prioritized the lowest.

We did stock up on a few AR pmags on special, but if resell prices ever got to a point where I might actually consider selling some...that would in fact more likely than not make me consider holding onto them more...for our own use...or to sell at cost to family/friends who couldn't afford to stock up.

The G3 magazines I bought at $2? Yeah, maybe I'd sell a few at a profit on trade sometime down the road, but as for now they apply to stocking up for the primary long guns...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top