JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, last night I was looking over the preparedness bookshelf we've put together over the years. Books in said cover just about every topic; general preparedness, first aid, medicine, dentistry, firearms, civil defense, farming, natural disasters, nuclear topics, man-made disasters, terrorism, communications and technology, shelter, hygiene, scientific topics, disaster-specific guides, social issues, even some fictional works, et al.

Which leads me to a question, what preparedness topic or topics would you like to see better coverage of? Presuming it would be in the form of a book, what would it be, how would you like it organized, etc.?

Thanks for sharing.

I didn't see food storage in there. I've got a few books on how to effect store foods without refrigeration.

This is a terrific book, if you are a DIY'er, so much good stuff. I like the organiztion and presentation of this book.
On the opposite end would be the Foxfire series of books, disorganized as all get out, but tons of good old tried and true methods of the old ways.

The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John Seymour The Self Sufficient Life and How to Live It is the only book that teaches all the skills needed to live independently in harmony with the land harnessing natural forms of energy, raising crops and keeping livestock, preserving foodstuffs, making beer and wine, basketry, carpentry, weaving, and much more. Our 2009 edition includes 150 new full-color illustrations and a special section in which John Seymour, the father of the back to basics movement, explains the philosophy of self-sufficiency and its power to transform lives and create communities. More relevant than ever in our high-tech world, The Self Sufficient Life and How to Live It is the ultimate practical guide for realists and dreamers alike. "John Seymour, self-sufficiency guru, offers a wealth of ideas to get you started." -- Sentinel "This book ... « less

The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (One Hundredth Edition)

by John Seymour, Will Sutherland, Alice Waters (Foreword)

Hardcover, 408 Pages, Published 2009

I didn't see food storage in there. I've got a few books on how to effect store foods without refrigeration.

We have a few that cover that.

To clarify what I am asking; not what should be in one's preparedness library, but rather a topic (or topics) not covered well enough in available literature.

I've been doing this a long time and like you, have a pretty extensive library, as well as the fact that I live at my BOL. It's much easier to practice various skills under those circumstances.

Although I'm a woods abiding, self professed hermit, once upon a time I was a city dweller and just learning how to live in the mountains/country took quite a bit of learning and thankfully not too much unlearning.

Routine everyday life without certain ameneties is often foreign as well as uncomfortable for many good folks.
Learning a daily routine and generally accumulating knowledge, quite often just simple stuff took time.

How this can be useful puzzles me, but perhaps something may spring from it.

Just thinking out loud.

I believe a book on dealing with and processing the mental state, shock, and disruption to daily life and how to cope with those you will shelter in place with. A problem many preppers fail to consider is getting the best response from your group, and responsibility to the group and teamwork.
Many times preppers are 1 person in the family, and the rest are living their busy lives, so your plan is often not headed in the heat of the storm. Old homesteading stories of friction and no safe spaces to hide can shed some light on the range of emotion you will travel.
Self-sufficient types, seem to be hit hardest, past the initial confidence phase, as others around them break down and become a drag on morale and load sharing. Preparedness is all aspects of life, not just what you can do, but who you can trust and count on.
Have you ever known that guy that seems to have all the answers and capabilities that you thought would soar, just crash and become useless to the point of almost a burden, when the storm arrives?
Take care of the Heart, mind, soul, and your gut and comfort while maintaining safety of all team members is how you best whether the storm, and each team member has their own process and level upping to do.
my 2 cents

Foxfire series is great
A perfect book for bubblegum side reading
Something for most everyone in each book

I will add that it is important that your information library isn't only digital, and even military manuals or small pocket survival guides can be very useful in slowing a situation down so you can think clearly, and have guided resources handy if sheltering in place isn't possible.

I believe a book on dealing with and processing the mental state, shock, and disruption to daily life and how to cope with those you will shelter in place with.

I had this idea in mind. Probably one of the most important aspects of a radically changed lifestyle environment. Because outlook influences every other response.

Books on improvised anything. Some kind of McGyver primer. Some people can figure out these things as they go along, others flounder. On a scale of 1-10, I'b about a 7.5 so I can always learn.

So, last night I was looking over the preparedness bookshelf we've put together over the years. Books in said cover just about every topic; general preparedness, first aid, medicine, dentistry, firearms, civil defense, farming, natural disasters, nuclear topics, man-made disasters, terrorism, communications and technology, shelter, hygiene, scientific topics, disaster-specific guides, social issues, even some fictional works, et al.

Which leads me to a question, what preparedness topic or topics would you like to see better coverage of? Presuming it would be in the form of a book, what would it be, how would you like it organized, etc.?

Thanks for sharing.
Better coverage of human psychology in stressful situations. How to plan on not having a plan. How to deal with the anguish of losing everything. Proper way to bury or deal with the dead. How deal with loneliness and depression. Most of the other stuff is already covered ad nauseum. Not tongue in cheek, by the way.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top