JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a water line break at my house last night. Not good... Had to shut off the water at the meter and then use water reserves I had put away for daily uses today. Glad I had done that and it made me think about what if it was longer term? Thinking about a filter and longer term storage options. Larger containers, rain recovery, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Look in the classifieds of Capitol Press, I see a company in there all the time that sells food quality barrels, I think they're plastic 55gal. Pretty sure they were in Salem, been a few weeks since I last looked

Glad you were prepared and could take advantage it. Little issue like that could really be more of a PITA without a simple prep of having some water on hand.

I'm going to purchase a Berkey filtration system. My BIL has one and loves it. They live in orchard country and there's a lot of ag chems that have gotten into the ground water so they don't trust their well for consumption.

I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm looking at a rain collection system as well but I'm not planning on it for direct potable water. The zinc/anti moss chemicals and the asphalt shingles on my roof aren't good for ingestion. I think the Berkey will take care of those issues as well but need to be sure first.

The zinc/anti moss chemicals and the asphalt shingles on my roof aren't good for ingestion. I think the Berkey will take care of those issues as well but need to be sure first.

I'd be real interested in what you hear from Berkey in that regard. I have the same question/concern. I am thinking about putting in a rainwater gathering system for watering our plants, but am leary about using it as drinking water even if filtered.

Had a water line break at my house last night. Not good... Had to shut off the water at the meter and then use water reserves I had put away for daily uses today. Glad I had done that and it made me think about what if it was longer term? Thinking about a filter and longer term storage options. Larger containers, rain recovery, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Nice! We just went threw an ordeal ourselves. Our sewer line broke and then our old water line. We had saved up on our emergency water supply and it paid off!

Man, the whole family appreciated having that water when we didn't have it at the tap. We refilled them up and added some more.

Last Edited:
My dad is building a new house, and they left room in the basement for extra water tanks. Basically water heaters without elements, the water comes in and passes through all the tanks, constantly refreshing them. If they lose power (they're on a well) they'll still have a couple hundred gallons on hand.

you should rotate your water storage at least every 6 months, I rinse out and bleach the cans then refill them after a good rinsing. add 5 drops of bleach in 5 gallons keeps em fresh and tasty. I use 5 gal scepter plastic GI water cans. they come in handy and can take being dropped, thrown around.

the bottles and jugs you but at the store degrade after awhile and will break up and leak.

rainwater collection is good for things like flushing a toilet, mopping a floor etc. youd be suprised how much water youll use just flushing, but remember yellow is mellow, if its brown flush it down........ we do this with our yearly week long power outages. also things like a hot tub are useful for non potable water also. sorry to hear that Jordan guess youll be working overtime, so ill see you at work more:s0155: Scott

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top