JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've seen a lot of posts, media, articles, etc. about people going stir-crazy or complaining of cabin fever after spending just a few days at home in isolation or semi-isolation. It doesn't matter how much food and water you have if you can't handle the stress of a given situation.

Most variations of a SHTF scenario contain some sort of isolation for either a short or extended duration. We're not even close to being in a SHTF scenario as most here would probably describe it...yet a LOT of people seem to have the inability to conquer a few days or weeks alone.

So my question to you all is, given isolation...
- how susceptible to cabin fever were you when you began your preparedness lifestyle?
- how have you trained/steeled your mind to get through whatever scenario you plan for?
- how are you doing in isolation or semi-isolation with the current crisis?

Personally, I started working from home about six or seven years ago and the first year or so was actually pretty rough on me. Some depression, some "stir-crazy," and some bad feelings about my apartment at the time that ultimately led me to just not want to be there. I started practicing mindfulness and meditation and found the exercises very good for calming the nerves and learning to be perfectly okay with being alone. I continue to practice and currently, while not alone (family+pets now), am perfectly at ease in isolation or semi isolation.

I purchased a companion in anticipation of the isolation. :eek:

Mail_Order.jpg

Aloha, Mark

It's called the human condition and everybody's got it. It depends on your how your individual psyche is put together. Some people are more cut out for a quarantine scenario than others. However, for everyone that has been prepping has already had a general idea of what to expect. For those who are doing the last minute hoarding and scrambling, they will likely be the ones reacting emotionally to the new realities and challenges.

- how susceptible to cabin fever were you when you began your preparedness lifestyle?
- how have you trained/steeled your mind to get through whatever scenario you plan for?

I've been retired for over 12 years, Mrs. Merkt has been so for 2-1/2 years. We've had plenty of practice. It's not that difficult for us to isolate so long as we have electricity. Which provides avenues for activity that lack of power does not. We've gotten into the routine of playing a game of cards nearly every day. I'm pretty active, got lots of stimulation. I had foot surgery nearly a month ago that's decreased my mobility significantly and that's driving me nuts. That ends April 1st and I'm glad of it.

I purchased a companion in anticipation of the isolation.

Chinese and no face mask. That's different.

Probably not very informative...

Other than the time I spent in college and then in the Army, I've lived and worked on the same piece of dirt that my family has owned for multiple generations. It's a ranch that most people would say is in the middle of nowhere. I wander off into civilization maybe once every other month. So, for me, there was really no preparation required as it is the way I was raised and have lived the vast majority of my life.

Nice being an introvert. My home life has changed very little except for preparing meals for when Im at work and decontamination steps when I get back home. My wife and I both hate crowds of people. It is like a monthly torture to go walk around costco so it has been nice not having to go at all. I wouldnt have been able to deal with crowds of horders anyway unless I could drive a snow plow inside costco. We used to go out to eat occasionally but actually prefer take out.

I think I'm more annoyed that the government is telling me I can't do anything than being stir crazy cooped up in my house. That and the non stop conversation on this has been wearing on me I believe.

I would get the same during long stretches of rain. That didn't bother me. This is virtually the same, just the pending doomsday music playing in the background is rather annoying!

I think I'm more annoyed that the government is telling me I can't do anything than being stir crazy cooped up in my house. That and the non stop conversation on this has been wearing on me I believe.

I would get the same during long stretches of rain. That didn't bother me. This is virtually the same, just the pending doomsday music playing in the background is rather annoying!
The rain up here has really bummed me out. Just now getting used to it 3 years in. From AZ...I miss my sunshine and heat.

The rain up here has really bummed me out. Just now getting used to it 3 years in. From AZ...I miss my sunshine and heat.
Are you taking Vit D supplements? I have lived here for more than 20 years and used to feel really crappy most of the time. Then about 8 years or so ago, my doctor at the time tested me for Vit D deficiency (she said it's very common here). She put me on a supplement and it really made a difference.

Are you taking Vit D supplements? I have lived here for more than 20 years and used to feel really crappy most of the time. Then about 8 years or so ago, my doctor at the time tested me for Vit D deficiency (she said it's very common here). She put me on a supplement and it really made a difference.
Same issue, born and raised on an island just east of Seattle. Stationed in Florida in the Corps than returned to Seattle became depressed (lack of sunshine) took a job in Southern CAL when St Helens went. A few years later returned to Seattle, after a few years depression returned. Moved back to Southern CAL found the dimicrats had destroyed all the nice areas stayed a few years then
escaped to North Idaho, should have come here when I was discharged in the '70's. Haven't had the depression problems here however had other symptoms of vitamin deficiency that my doctor recognized and tested for than prescribed treatment with vitamin D than a maintenance dosage.
Most doctors don't test for vitamin D and most insurance doesn't cover the test.
Wish I'd been tested many years ago, would have made a difference in my life.

I guess I don't understand this thread. Besides being prepped and ready for years for basically ANY type of disaster, I've done absolutely nothing different in my routine during this mass virus hysteria. I go anywhere I choose to any time of the day or night, still shopping for what I need or want, plenty of sane people out there not running and cowering when someone comes close, not wearing "two pairs of disposable gloves", not stepping into a "decontamination bath" for shoes before entering the home, not "wiping down Amazon boxes" received in the mail per fear freakoid hysterical people.
I frankly don't give a rat's a33 what our illustrious guvner (or the WHO/UN/CDC) pushes in disinformation and misinformation. Business as usual here. The best thing is driving on roads sans a33hat drivers; looks like Oregon 20 years ago before the influx of all those *special people* who lockstep with their globalist Overlord's orders. It's amazing how people have turned into fear zombies and have zero common sense facing this virus. For freaks sake, wash your hands and use normal hygiene measures AS ANYONE SHOULD DURING A FLU SEASON, keep your immune system up, go out and live your lives. If "your life" only revolved around "work", better find your self. If you're not busy livin', you're busy dyin'...aaaaand I'm out.

I guess I don't understand this thread. Besides being prepped and ready for years for basically ANY type of disaster, I've done absolutely nothing different in my routine during this mass virus hysteria. I go anywhere I choose to any time of the day or night, still shopping for what I need or want, plenty of sane people out there not running and cowering when someone comes close, not wearing "two pairs of disposable gloves", not stepping into a "decontamination bath" for shoes before entering the home, not "wiping down Amazon boxes" received in the mail per fear freakoid hysterical people.
I frankly don't give a rat's a33 what our illustrious guvner (or the WHO/UN/CDC) pushes in disinformation and misinformation. Business as usual here. The best thing is driving on roads sans a33hat drivers; looks like Oregon 20 years ago before the influx of all those *special people* who lockstep with their globalist Overlord's orders. It's amazing how people have turned into fear zombies and have zero common sense facing this virus. For freaks sake, wash your hands and use normal hygiene measures AS ANYONE SHOULD DURING A FLU SEASON, keep your immune system up, go out and live your lives. If "your life" only revolved around "work", better find your self. If you're not busy livin', you're busy dyin'...aaaaand I'm out.
Yep. You missed the point. By about a mile.

I'm stating that isolation is a part of many SHTF scenarios. Take that as a given. Isolation may or may not be a part of your Covid response but it is a part of many's and it's coming with its problem.

My question is how you train your mind for whatever your SHTF situation is, though I'm mostly interested in isolation preparedness.

I shared my own findings that guided meditation and mindfulness exercises have done wonders for me in the isolation of moving from office to work from home, this providing benefit to now and any future isolation-ish scenario.

Does that better explain my question?

Yes, I take vitamin D after having been tested and having been found very, very under the recommended measure. (Side note: I wonder if people from warmer climates end up with a physiological response to cope with that climate. I'm very okay with sun 24/7 and 125F heat. Perfectly fine. Like run a few miles at that temp fine. But the cold here is killing me. Anything less than 70 and I'm bundled up in wool socks et al. Maybe metabolism is affected? Who knows?) That plus another few things has helped a lot. I'm an open book, just not on the web. If you'd like to inquire further, PM me. Otherwise, yes, I'm on Vit D supplements...prescription grade for awhile and now generic dosage with maintenance tests every year...or thereabouts now that covid is putting off my annual physical.

Last Edited:
I'm stating that isolation is a part of many SHTF scenarios. Take that as a given. Isolation may or may not be a part of your Covid response but it is a part of many's and it's coming with its problem.

My question is how you train your mind for whatever your SHTF situation is, though I'm mostly interested in isolation preparedness...

There is a saying "Never let your first time be your first time.".... it means that when disaster strikes you should have already prepared.

Chance of isolation? Spend some days in the mountains
Grid Failure? Shut off the power to your house for a few days
Finding food? Go hunt and forage

All skills are perishable and require consistent practice to be effective.

With that being said I spent a year at sea as a young Marine. Beyond all the other nonsense there was a 40 day stretch where we didn't even see land. No internet, no travel, the same routine day after day and no land in sight. I swore right then that I'd never be bored again. There is always something to do.

Can't think of anything to do? Then do planks and push ups until something comes to mind.

Embrace the suck.

Yep. You missed the point. By about a mile.

My question is how you train your mind for whatever your SHTF situation is, though I'm mostly interested in isolation preparedness.

I shared my own findings that guided meditation and mindfulness exercises have done wonders for me in the isolation of moving from office to work from home, this providing benefit to now and any future isolation-ish scenario.

Does that better explain my question?
Didn't realize someone would take my response to "how am I dealing" so *personally*; not even aware you're the OP. Okay. So to answer your question "in the spirit of the question", I have zero problem being alone "doing nothing due to corona virus", makes no difference to me. I have 5 million projects to work on at any given moment and pick and choose from those when am not driving out into zombie wasteland doing exactly what I want. Yeah, I guess I don't get what there is to "prepare" for mentally. I already "self isolate" socially due to the unfortunate influx of outsiders who I really want nothing to do with. I already live slightly comfortably enough in the boonies but would like to be staring up at the stars on the banks of the Green River with no cell service, no electricity, no city lights and NO PEOPLE. Maybe that answers "mental preparedness"....

Oh man, I forgot to wipe down my amazon boxes! :eek: Fail. :oops:

I've seen a lot of posts, media, articles, etc. about people going stir-crazy or complaining of cabin fever after spending just a few days at home in isolation or semi-isolation. It doesn't matter how much food and water you have if you can't handle the stress of a given situation.

Most variations of a SHTF scenario contain some sort of isolation for either a short or extended duration. We're not even close to being in a SHTF scenario as most here would probably describe it...yet a LOT of people seem to have the inability to conquer a few days or weeks alone.

Not really susceptible to problems due to isolation. I am an 'Aspie' (Asperger's Syndrome) and an introvert. Being around people too much is what causes me stress - even people I like a lot. Socializing wears me out. I avoid unnecessary socializing - even just small groups of people I like. Mostly it is the occasional visit with close relatives (daughter and son-in-law).

When I first separated from my ex, I mostly just missed seeing my daughter - terribly lonely because of that. I slowly got somewhat used to that over the years, especially after she became an adult. Now I am only 20 minutes away so I can pretty much see her whenever I want.

I have a number of times spent months working in Alaska and Montana alone - except for the occasional trip to get supplies. No problem. Did have some interaction every day via phone or other comms devices during comms tests, but no social interaction beyond getting supplies.

I am something of a hermit living on a mountain in a forest. I occasionally spend a few minutes chatting with neighbors who I happen to see when I am outside - maybe once a week. But that is it. So it really is not a problem for me. I prefer my social interaction to be mostly online with the occasional face to face short interaction.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top