JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used to travel using standard duffels and suitcases but last year I decided to re-think my luggage choices with a preparedness mindset. I didn't want a tactical-looking bag but I did want something that was "tactically" functional from a practical, preparedness standpoint, so I began by looking at wheeled luggage options that were convertible to a backpack. I also insisted that it be sized appropriately as a carry-on and function perfectly well under normal, non-SHTF circumstances.

The two main reasons for insisting on wheeled luggage rather than a stand-alone backpack were versatility and the fact that if my wife is with me on a road trip, SHTF and we have to walk, there's no way she'll be carrying much of a pack for long, but if rough terrain were encountered temporarily and the luggage couldn't be rolled, the backpack option is there. Plus, I'm getting older...

In my search I was not able to find an abundance of options that fit my criteria, but I was able to find the perfect option (for me). It's the Eagle Creek Doubleback Carry-On in the desert sand color. It's two bags in one, a carry-on and personal item, which can both be used as packs with the larger one having wheels and the smaller one being hydration-compatible. They can be securely attached together in multiple ways to accommodate simultaneous backpack carry and airport use, or used separately, and the small pack is perfect for EDC use once I arrive at my destination without having to bring another pack/bag for that purpose. All the specs and a video can be found at the link.

There are also many other choices of Eagle Creek luggage that may suit others' needs better, so check them out if you are in the market for luggage. Also, their products are all covered by a "No Matter What" warranty similar to that of Vortex Optics.

Wife and I used similar backpack type carry-ons with wheels. 10 days in New Zealand's south island: one bag for each of us. Really handy as we went by train, bus, taxi and rental car on that trip, after flying into Christchurch. The weak point in all the models I've inspected in person are the wheels. Okay for airport terminals and smooth concrete sidewalks, but you'll be carrying the bag elsewhere.

Ideal features for me:
- large wheels, that can be easily replaced if worn
- aluminum extending handle so you don't have to hunch over when pulling it
- ability to attach other bags, stacking on the base bag
- heavy duty material, double stitching, large zippers

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR